Stickies disappeared when reinstalling OSX Ventura after log in issues.

none exists in mine, running Ventura OSX 13.3, M1 chip MacBook air
I am on 13.3.1, M1 Pro MacBook pro. But I have Macs for quite a long time with regular updates, it is possible that this file is a residue from an old version of the OS.

Your user/Library folder is normally hidden. The tip to show that through the View Options will only show your own user/Library folder.
The Library folder in your backup would remain hidden, unless you choose to show ALL hidden folders.
Do that by pressing Shift-Command-. (That would be Shift-Command-(period or dot).
You will immediately see all your normally hidden files and folders, on all volumes that you are using.
(when you are done looking through those hidden folders, press the same 3 keys a seond time to hide those folders again.)

Your user/Library folder is normally hidden. The tip to show that through the View Options will only show your own user/Library folder.
The Library folder in your backup would remain hidden, unless you choose to show ALL hidden folders.
Do that by pressing Shift-Command-. (That would be Shift-Command-(period or dot).
You will immediately see all your normally hidden files and folders, on all volumes that you are using.
(when you are done looking through those hidden folders, press the same 3 keys a seond time to hide those folders again.)
That did it! THANK YOU. I was able to find all of my missing stickies by using this very hidden but effective method. Why they make it so difficult to find these files I don't know but you really helped me. Have a great week!

In my case for example, I am using 1 Stickie, instead of multiple. Generally each one is their own .rtfd file with no explanation of how the file name is created, but my example is: 86E31CA0-1AD8-4EF1-A1FF-6ADC5EC29D15

I am running macOS Ventura 13.4.1 and the location of this file, and I assume others, if you created multiple Stickies, would all be there with their own unique names:

Users/User/Library/Containers/Stickies/Data/Library/Stickies

I just manually copied from a TM Backup from 3 weeks ago, removed any existing .rtfd files at the destination, presuming no new Stickies had been created...pasted the file into the location delineated above, then launched Stickies - and there it was! You can also open each one at a time, and copy and paste from the .rtfd into a new Stickie.

Last edited:
In my case for example, I am using 1 Stickie, instead of multiple. Generally each one is their own .rtfd file with no explanation of how the file name is created, but my example is: 86E31CA0-1AD8-4EF1-A1FF-6ADC5EC29D15

I am running macOS Ventura 13.4.1 and the location of this file, and I assume others, if you created multiple Stickies, would all be there with their own unique names:

Users/User/Library/Containers/Stickies/Data/Library/Stickies

I just manually copied for a TM Backup from 3 weeks ago, removed any existing .rtfd files at the destination, presuming no new Stickies had been created...pasted the file into the location delineated above, then launched Stickies - and there it was! You can also open each one at a time, and copy and paste from the .rtfd into a new Stickie.

That's why you have a backup of Time Machine!

I had Ventura 13.1 on the MacBook when it refused my user PW for software updates. Mac tech couldn't figure it out and the Apple Store couldn't either so they erased the entire computer and reinstalled Ventura with the update to 13.3. My latest backups before the restore were in Ventura 13.1 so I can't understand why none of the backups have a Library under my user name and the View options doesn't offer Show Library Folder.
cmd+shift+. to see the hidden Library.

Back