Stuffit Deluxe Issue

Registered
Hi, I just downloaded Stuffit Deluxe. When I drag the item I want (example a 50 mg Illustrator.ai file), it compresses into a zip but then only drops the size down to 48 mg. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? It seems so simple to drag and drop but the file size isn't compressing right. Help!

Just to elaborate on what DeltaMac said: not all files can be "super-compressed" into ZIP archives. For example, take a JPEG file and put it in a ZIP file -- the resulting ZIP file is only slightly smaller than the JPEG itself. This is because the JPEG format is already a "compressed" format, and so not much more information inside the JPEG can be compressed any farther.

On the other hand, take a long text file and compress it into a ZIP archive -- the resulting ZIP file should be much more small than the original file. This is because text files are not compressed formats, and have much more compression "potential."

When you compress a file into a ZIP file, you will get one of two things, depending on the types of files you are compressing: either a ZIP archive that is negligibly smaller than the original files, or a ZIP file that is significantly smaller than the original files.

It all depends on the types of files inserted into the ZIP archive -- if your Illustrator file contains a bunch of placed JPEG images, then that's why you're not seeing much compression -- or, perhaps, the Illustrator format is already in a compressed format, and therefore cannot be compressed much farther.

Back