Sudden Internet access problem

dave25

Registered
I have an iBook (800mz G3) running OSX 10.2.8, which I've had wirelessly connected to the internet via Airport (original, not extreme). For over a year this has worked fine, but suddenly I can't access any websites. The Internet Connect utilty reports that it is connected with a strong signal, and the status reads "Connected to the Internet via Ethernet" but attempting to surf to any site (including Google, Amazon and Apple) all meet with failure and a "Specified server could not be found" message. This occurs with both Explorer and Mozilla. I don't think there's any problem with the ISP as my other computer, an iMac, still connects no problem. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Hmm... is the iMac also wireless, or is it wired?

Also, what kind of access pioint are you using -- an AirPort base station, or some 3rd party wireless router?

The iMac is wired directly into my Speedtouch router, whilst the iBook connects via the genuine Airport base station. The really strange thing is that this set up has worked fine for over a year, and I'm not aware that anything changed - I just suddenly lost the ability to access any internet sites from the laptop, even though it says that it's connected just fine.

Also, I have an old PC with a wireless card that I use very occasionally, I tried that last night and it also worked fine, connecting wirelessly through the Airport base station and surfing the net happily, so I guess it must be something to do with the iBook, but what?? I'm totally puzzled.

Many thanks for your interest and trying to help

Please help!!! Has anyone got any ideas on this problem? I've been struggling to fix this without success for a couple pf weeks now. Any helpful advice would be VERY gratefully received!

Open the "Network" pane of System Preferences and report back with what it's set up as: is it using DHCP, or a fixed IP address? Also report what else it says besides the method used to connect.

In addition, under "Network Port Configurations," report back with what ports are active (have a checkmark next to them) and in what order they appear.

If you think you should be connected wirelessly from your iBook, then I think your Network status should show "Connected to the Internet via Airport" not "Connected to the Internet via Ethernet". Sounds like the Network defaulted back to Ethernet. Perhaps all you need is to re-select the Airport network from the iBook...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've tried reselecting just Airport, and restarting the iBook, but it's still saying "connected via ethernet" and refusing to find any websites.

The Network settings in System Preferences show it is configured using DHCP and has an IP address of 10.0.1.2 which has been provided by the DHCP server. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the router is 10.0.1.1

Regarding the Network Port Configurations, the only "ticked" item is Airport, which comes first in the list. After this is Internal Modem and then Built In Ethernet, but both are unticked.

"Location" is set to "Automatic"

I'm way out of my technical depth here, so I hope some of the above means something to somebody! I'm really grateful for your attempts to help. Many Thanks.

Still have the problem! A colleague at work has suggested that it might be a problem with the Airport card in the iBook - his theory is that it can't be the Airport base station as my old PC can still connect wirelessly no problem, and it can't be the iBook itself as it connects fine when I use a wire to connect it to the router. Can anyone tell me how I can test the Airport card installed in the iBook? Many thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I've found the System Profiler and under "Network Overview" it reports the following:

Flags 0x8863<Up,Broadcast,b6,Running,Simplex,Multicast>
Ethernet Address 00.30.65.28.03.51
IP 10.0.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Broadcast 10.0.1.255

Any clues there? Might as well be in Chinese for all it means to me!!

It's fixed!! I decided to take a look at the Airport Setup Assistant, and I asked it to rescan and then connect to my home network (where it has claimed to be connected all along). Lo and behold it is now back on the internet, I'm actually typing this message on the recalcitrant iBook itself. But now the "Internet Connect" application reports the status as "Not Available"!
What is that all about?? To cap it all there seems to be no change at all to the details reported by System Profiler. I'll never understand these things!!

Very sincere thanks to all on this site who offered help and advice. Its much appreciated

Back