suggestd

SGilbert

Registered
As shown, 3 weeks ago, I was getting this very frequently--roughly 45 times in 5-6 days. I did almost nothing and it went away for 2 weeks. Starting yesterday, it has returned; happening about every hour.
I understand it has to do with notifications between Apple programs and products.
What I do not understand is how to fix this or eliminate it.
Any ideas?
(OS 10.14.6 on MBP)Screen Shot 1.jpg

Wow! Wonder why that didn't turn up in my searches? I will give that a try later today as I'm on the way out right now.
Hopefully, I'll be back singing DeltaMac's praises!

Problem! What is the symbol before the E in 1st and before the | in the second? (Is that a vertical line as is the key just under the delete key, or is that a capital I?

It looks like a capital I . The first line is a capital E, so.....

You can also try using copy and paste.

No idea what the symbol is begird the E and I. Also cannot open a screen Shot while in safe mode, but luckily, I can reopen that website & copy & paste.
HOWEVER, that site gives wrong commands. I get errors in Terminal. (Cannot post a screen shop while in safe mode)
Searched for 'Re-index an entire drive' and found another command:
Sudo mdutil –E / -

Man--this is taking forever! Luckily, I can still use half of me Mac while Terminal does its thing. (Hoping I'm not ruining the process!)

No idea what the symbol is begird the E and I. Also cannot open a screen Shot while in safe mode, but luckily, I can reopen that website & copy & paste.
HOWEVER, that site gives wrong commands. I get errors in Terminal. (Cannot post a screen shop while in safe mode)
Searched for 'Re-index an entire drive' and found another command:
Sudo mdutil –E / -

Man--this is taking forever! Luckily, I can still use half of me Mac while Terminal does its thing. (Hoping I'm not ruining the process!)

The reminded can take time if you many drives mounted at the time of the command because the program will index any mounted drives!

I let Terminal run all night. I quit this morning as it never finished, nor did it fix anything. Going to have to find a different solution--this is driving me batty!!

I THINK I have the culprit narrowed down to 'Calendar" The version is 11.0, but not sure the version has anything to do with it. My wife & I share the calendar, and I'm thinking that may be the cause. Debating whether to stop that (without her going ballistic :) )

I would suggest trying a reinstall of Mojave. (Boot to an external USB installer. I tend to download the installer fresh from Apple, create a bootable installer - just to make sure it is the most up-to-date, then boot to that; reinstall macOS, then check for updates. The reinstall should take less than an hour, and might take care of issues that cause your problem - or are the result of other minor corruptions in the system.

I just might have to go through that, but what about just deleting suggestd and then restarting. Would it be recreated as some components will do, or would I be totally SOL?

You make it sound like reinstalling your system is some major headache....
All that you would be doing is booting to the Mojave installer, and choosing to reinstall macOS from the menu screen.
You COULD first delete suggestd, but it is a framework, and won't reinstall without some assistance from the macOS installer, so it would just be missing (with unknown consequences for a missing framework) until you reinstall the system. Finally, the system may not let you delete that framework, unless you first disable SIP.
Reinstalling Mojave is mostly pretty painless.

Thanks for your post. I have experienced something similar recently.

I have a MacPro and a Macbook Pro and my wife has a Macbook Pro, all running Mojave (10.14.6). My wife and I each have several calendars within the Calendar program (work, home, meetings, etc.) and we publish/subscribe to each other's calendars so we can see each other's events. Calendar works as expected on all computers and we have been running them for years without any issues. Until a few weeks ago, we had iPhone 8 and 8 Plus phones, respectively, and the calendars were properly synced on there, as well.

However, two weeks ago, we each upgraded to iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max, respectively. We used Quick Start to copy data from our old phones to our new phones, which seemed to work OK. Then, we disabled our old phones. However, at this time, we both started to notice the "suggestd quit unexpectedly" error appearing on all of our computers, sometimes as frequently as every 15 seconds, with no clear way to stop this intrusive alert. We tried rebuilding Spotlight as noted in some articles and deleting the ~/Library/Suggestions folder as suggested in other articles. Neither had any effect.

I note that I don't see this error too much (if at all) unless and until I open Calendar, so I suspect this program is central to the issue. Because our calendars are shared/synced via iCloud, I signed out of iCloud on my MBP, and then signed back in (this took a while to resync due to all of the content I had, such as photos). Afterward, I did NOT receive this error anymore for about two weeks, but it just started to recur, unfortunately.

I haven't yet tried to unshare and reshare our calendars, but maybe that will help. We also ordered new MBPs when they were recently announced, and they will obviously have the current macOS on them (presumably Monterey), and maybe that will help, too.

Anyway, I have not found any permanent solutions to this issue, but it seems that our issues are similar. Perhaps this will trigger some potential solutions by others reading this thread.

Thanks.

LSStream,
I, too, have narrowed it down to the Calendar app; just not sure which aspect of it. (Sharing, syncing, etc)
FWIW, I upgraded my iPhone (12 Pro Max) to 15.1 yesterday. Can't remember about last night, but so far today (5 hours) I haven't had any suggestd quits! Thinking it MIGHT have beed related to syncing our 2 MBPs to our 2 iPhones. Time will tell!
When this 1st started, it lasted several weeks, then, all of a sudden, it stopped. Then mysteriously started again 2 weeks ago. Maybe, just maybe, this is related to iOS versions.
In the meantime I am thoroughly enjoying my Mac without the constant intrusions!
FYI, after a few weeks of 'shakeout', we'll likely be ordering new 16" M1Pro MBPs.

Back