suggested upgrades

psychicVTEC

Registered
What cpu upgrade should I shoot for? I know there is Sonnet, GigaDesigns and PowerLogix. Are there any other brands out there that produce PowerPC cpu upgrades? What do you suggest for a old G4 dually 450mhz? I've had this since 3 October 2000. That is when I made the big switch from PeeCees.

Should I still stick with a dually set up when I upgrade or should I go for just a single? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You'll find all available upgrades here.
I'd go with a Dual processor upgrade.
I have a 1GHz PowerLogic processor in a G4/450 and haven't had any problems.

SuperTyphoon said:
590 dollars for a dual core G4, 1.4 ghz?!!!! 300 for a single core? How do they expect people to buy those things?

Yeah, it's expensive. Sometimes it's just worth getting a new Mac, but there are times where upgrading might make you lose compatibility with your older expansion cards, hence the reason to just get the CPU upgrade. This is especially truue when you have older SCSI external hardware. Sure, you can get a PCI SCI card, but that just adds to the cost of a new machine that doesn't have SCSI ports for external devices. Older Macs tended to have SCSI built-in, but I believe that as of the B&W G3 or the G4 towers this built-in feature was removed.

Ultimately, it's what's best for that person. If they think they'll be better served by a CPU upgrade, then thank goodness they have that option.

I'm just surprised they are charging that much for old and relatively outdated processors, compared to say, Athlon 64s. 600 dollars will buy you a near-top of the line A64 X2 dual core or a64 fx-53, while it only buys you a slow dual core G4.

Why are ppc processors ridiculously expensive? Low end pentium 4's and a64s cost no more than 150, and celerons and semprons cost no more than 100. It's very illogical to me and a complete waste of money, IMO.

also, it's 'illogical' to compare Apples to Oranges (sorry, PCs).
You may see some change to this after the Intel version of OS X is fully released.
How far off to an A64 running OS X?

One of the reasons could be that there are many millions more Pentium 4 and Athlon processors rolling off the assembly lines than there are PPC processors. Basic economies of scale dictate that in this scenario, the more plentiful processor will be less expensive.

It's not the fact that it's a PPC processor vs. an x86-based processor, it's just the fact that the majority of the world uses Pentium 4 and Athlon processors, and that simply makes each unit's price go down, in a nutshell.

Well intel has 80+ percent of th cpu market, and their cpus are much more expensive than AMD's equivalent ones. AMD is better all cpu companies... Mac needs to be compatible with them too. I think AMD is the best company out there in the technology business.
Intel sucks. But at least they are not extraordinarily expensive like PPCs. To anyone wantign to spend a fortune on an outdated processor, wait till the big transistion and you may find that you weren't ripped off nearly as badly.

I read that Apple is not going with AMD, partly because AMD has no good timeline for release of low power processors for laptops.

the big reason apple it useing intel is becasue intel makes a packaged deal, cpu, wireless, and controlers. amd as of right now only makes cpus, and apple is all about the packaged deal. and i wouldn't say that a 1.4 g4 is outdated, apple is still putting them in new macs. in fact i can buy a cpu for my 466 that is better than what apple is putting in new ones, single 2ghz, or dual 1.8ghz, and for less then a new mac, and then my upgraded mac is just as good, if not better. these old g4 towers still have a long life in front of them.
as far as what to get for your dual 450, get what you can afford. remember that in order to trully use a second cpu, the software needs to be written for it. so if you do graphics and video editing, then get dual, other wise get a faster single. but going from dual 450 to dual 1.8 would be sweet, if you have $640.

If you're simply going for raw, number-crunching power, then yes, you can do much better than a dual-processor G4 upgrade with $640.

Owning and using a Macintosh, for some people, is more than just "lookie how fast my machine can go!" It's like an old car you get attached to and don't want to let go no matter how slow it goes. If you really love that car and have it "set up" in some way that just fits you perfectly, sometimes it's worth rebuilding the engine for $2000 instead of putting that money toward a new car, if only because you don't wanna get rid of the car. Sure, a new car would look better, go faster and be cleaner, but it wouldn't be your old, trusted, friendly car.

To some Mac users, using their computers is more than just raw speed.

I see you don't have a Macintosh listed in your signature. People tell me I should get rid of my VW with 200,000 miles on it because I spend as much money keeping it running as I could on a payment on a new car. I'm not getting rid of it just yet -- it fits me perfectly, as no new car could.

There are also idiots running amok spending $50,000 souping-up 4-cylinder $20,000 Mitsubishi cars, when they could be spending that money on a Porsche, which would be much faster.

"Fastest" doesn't always mean "best choice," depending on what your needs are. Not everyone is looking to get the fastest thing on the market for their money -- the user experience, simplicity, quality and many other factors weigh just as much when someone is spending that amount of money.

if i had extra $700 i would spend it on upgradeing my g4 to dual 1.8 long before a new mac, becasue then mine would be just as good, and cost less. also, i have yet to see any kind of upgrades for g5 macs. and as long as freescale is out there, i'm sure that they'll keep making better, faster g4s for us to buy.

I'm not so sure about that, sinclair... The "for desktop computers" processors are mainly bought by Apple. Some go to the processor upgrade makers. But that's about it. Freescale makes processors for the embedded market, too, but with Apple leaving Freescale's desktop/notebook market, that's it for Freescale's desktop/notebook market.

Back