Suggestions! How can Apple better penetrate the PC Market?

If Apple would hire you as a platform consultant, what would be your suggestion on penetrating the PC market?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example: Porting over the Mac OS, so that it works with a x86 processor. (I WISH) You see this will give poor PC users the ability to switch to a superior OS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allow customization in their BTO models, like more video cards and more choices.... (requires help from other companies too)

games apple needs a killer game that is only oh this platform, it prob will never happen unless apple themselves create it ...

most importantly lower prices and higher mhz speeds, the machines dont have to necessarily be faster, but mhz # has to be up there, these are the two numbers that casual pc users look at, they dont read mhz myth articles and such, the average user sees a computer that is 2ghz and 800 dollars thats it, so apple needs to get their specs up to those of intel and amd machines so the average user doesnt see them as inferior any more so many people ahve said to me "you use and apple, but arent those slow..." my two cents :)

Why would Apple want to port the OS to PC's when their main business is selling the hardware.

Everytime someone mentions Apple should port Mac OS X to the PC, I'm trying to imagine Steve Ballmer, who has a request from Steve Jobs on his desk. Steve Ballmer: "Hmm... They want us to recompile Office v. X so it runs on Mac OS X on the PC platform..." And then you hear Steve Ballmer's associates, sitting in the same room, laughing.

Put Airport wireless services to main airports. Like the services are there now .. and make the people using Macs be able to surf on those free. With big signs "This wireless network is offered by Apple, you are using Apple Airport..".

Sell Macs and iPods even at airport stores. They have a marginal sales probably, but macs would be more visible. Many people browse there. Being able to buy an iPod in an airplane would be really cool. And technically fine, as now the pc and mac ipods are the same. :)

i never said that apple should port there os to pc's i meant that they should get the mhz speeds up as high as they are in the pc world, i def dont think that they should use intel or amd in any apple machines. Just have mhz speeds that are similar to entry level pc's. This is something that would not be happen overnight obviously. sorry for the misunderstanding

I like Macs. I don't give a rats ass if PC's are faster, or if Bill Gates would come to my house to fix the PC when it broke down.

I think the move to port iTunes to Windows was genius. People whine about the fact that it only works with the iPod, but supporting many different hardware platforms is a daunting task -- this'll make more of them WANT an iPod.

Apple has made a maneuver such that market share is no longer dependent on the OS of the machine -- Apple no longer has 3% market share... they have 60-70% with the iPod. Getting people to switch to the Macintosh was a bold move -- and it semi-worked, as I'm sure a few PC users took that bait and went out and bought a Macintosh. But with iTunes for Windows, more people will own Apple hardware -- not necessarily a computer -- but some sort of Apple hardware that will make them think about Apple the next time they decide to purchase.

I don't think Steve Jobs is a God -- just close. He's a great visionary, and I have faith that his team can continue to do the right things over time. People expect the market share to simply jump up to 10 or 15% over the course of a few months, and then call the effort a failure because it didn't do so... that's just lame thinking.

It's similar with laws, and I'm going to bring up a controversial topic -- legalization or decriminalization of marijuana. People want it decriminalized NOW. That's not gonna happen in my lifetime, as far as I can see -- it takes time to change peoples' minds, and what would the world be if laws just changed overnight? We'd never know what's legal and what isn't. Plus, what if it's the WRONG decision? People would support and applaud the government for a quick decision and action, and if it turned sour, blame them for the damage it caused. Change takes time, and we have to make sure it's the RIGHT change.

The same goes for Mac OS X on the Intel platform. Sure, it'd be cool, but that's all we can say now -- we can't say if it's plausible right now. You can't say for sure whether it would be good or bad for Apple to do that, short of your own preference. What if you wanted it, it happened, and it backfired? What if it had more bugs than Windows due to processor differences and the amount of code that had to change? You want it to happen? Stop and think about it. People know what kinds of damage rash and ill-thought out decisions bring. We can't hope for it tomorrow.

I think Apple's right on track -- turning heads and puffing out their chests like the big boys do because they can now. I think there are some good ideas in this thread -- more exposure, like Apple-branded WiFi in airports sounds neat, but would need some thinking through. Maybe by 2005. Apple prides themselves on the perfection of their products, and rushing something to market is just a bad idea all the way around.

I think we need more partnerships, like AOL and iTunes, Pepsi and iTunes and VW and the iPod. But not TOO much -- not so much it looks like Apple is selling out and can't exists without the partnerships.

Get the Apple logo and brand into people's heads. Make them think twice the next time they walk into a Circuit City or Best Buy. I like the idea of being able to purchase an iPod at an airport... maybe Apple stores at the airport? Maybe iPods sold through the in-flight catalogues? Just imagine a wealthy businessman making his red-eye flight home on the 20th of December without a gift for his son in college -- until he opens the catalog and is presented with the Apple iPod.

I would be the first to introduce a harddisk videocamera and NOT concentrade me ONLY in a musiccomputer
I would also be more serious about Java ,make my mailapplication more userfriendly and use larger fonts (pcusers are very sensible for this argument).

Give it up...Mac OS X on the x86 will NEVER HAPPEN. Apple isn't a software company...the only reason they make OS X, or any other software, is to sell their hardware. Who in their right minds would buy a $3,000 G5 when a $1,000 x86 PC could run the same OS and all the same programs? Does Windows stink? Yes. Is Mac OS x FAR superior? Yes.

You want OS X, cough up the money for an Apple computer. Porting OS X to x86 will do only one thing...kill Apple.

Personally, I don't think that Apple can do much of any thing to change this. This is a public perception problem that is more the publics' problem than Apple's problem.

Is there any thing that Apple could do that hasn't been done by any of the other computer operating systems out there to compete with Windows?

Clones hurt Apple sales and didn't increase overall Mac OS sales. Rhapsody for x86 couldn't even get developers coming from x86 to write for it in numbers that could compete with the PowerPC version. Apple has had the fastest personal computers in the market a number of times without it getting Wintel users to switch. Apple has had prices that match or beat Wintel prices for equivalent hardware/software a number of times with no noticeable effect.

And in today's computer world, Wintel is now a chore to run and keep secure, yet people still use Windows.

What would help Apple, Red Hat, SuSE, and any other OS would be if Windows was sold only as a separate product... that is, not preinstalled. It is a fact that most computer users will not change the OS on their hardware once they buy it (including applying patches and updates as can be seen with the virus problem of late).

Apple has faced this too. Many Mac users don't follow the latest developments and just use their systems unaware that anything has changed until they buy new hardware. Same with PC users. What ever was on their system when they bought it is what is on their system now. If it is Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows whatever, the odds are it'll remain unchanged while that system is with the original owner.

No x86 OS has a chance to make it in that type of setting. The BeOS tried to get preinstalled and Microsoft made sure it didn't happen. The BeOS! Be wasn't even as much of a threat to Microsoft as Linux, but they took the time to stop preinstallation of the BeOS by hardware makers.

How does that effect Apple? Even if Apple never again makes another x86 OS, Apple's main problems is the same as any other non-Windows x86 OS, getting past the public's perception that the only way you can be productive with computers is with Windows.

Imagine this... people go to buy a PC. It comes with nothing on it. They go to a shelf of operating systems, Windows is three times as expensive as any of the others. They go over to a shelf of office products, MS Office is three to five times as expensive as the others... and only runs on Windows.

People are cheap and lazy. Microsoft plays to lazy by getting Windows preinstalled on every PC made. Ending preinstallation would help alternatives play to cheap.

When software is bundled on PCs, it is very hard to get pass that and use anything else. Once people see they can use something else, then they would be open to trying Apple's computers.

When people see their neighbors using things other than Windows (even if it is because their neighbors are cheap), they would be willing to try something non-Windows, even an expensive Apple computer.

None of this would make the Mac OS or Linux take over the world. Windows might even maintain a majority of market share. But at least there would be choice.

Originally posted by Dlatu1983
Who in their right minds would buy a $3,000 G5 when a $1,000 x86 PC could run the same OS and all the same programs?

Here is a question: Who in their right minds would buy a $3,000 G5 when a $800 eMac could run the same OS and all the same programs?

No one is going to run an operating system with little or no software. Mac OS X for x86 wouldn't have nearly as much software as Mac OS X for PowerPC which in turn doesn't have nearly as much software as Windows for x86.

Platform switching always comes down to the Applications Barrier. Even Microsoft couldn't get past it with Windows for PowerPC, what makes you think Apple would have an easier time with a Mac OS for x86?

Originally posted by jackdahi
You see this will give poor PC users the ability to switch to a superior OS!

What is stopping them now? PCs run a ton of operating systems that are superior to Windows... and none of them are made by Apple. Yet they use Windows. I own three PCs, I own almost every version of Windows from 1.0 to 2000 pro, I own copies of Office 97 and 2000, and yet not one of my PCs has any Microsoft software on them.

What is stopping them from switching to a superior OS?

Originally posted by nb3004
games apple needs a killer game that is only oh this platform, it prob will never happen unless apple themselves create it ...

Funny enough many people here in Cairo remember the iMac as the computer that ran Nanosaur at a local version of Comdex a few years back. :D

Not being a platform consultant, I like Bob, Gia and Tree's ideas. Lower the prices, push wifi in the places that people can see it (public spaces like airports) and create and license new spokes for the digital hub.

Make an interface to program people's VCR :D

people are lazy and play safe when it comes to investing in a computer. It doesn't matter what OS comes preinstalled. Macs come with os x, X86 come with windows. The mistake was letting MS build up such a massive marketshare in the first place. Consumers operate on word of mouth ie. discussions with family/friends/neighbours. Odds are they all have Wintel so thats the first barrier that a potential mac buyer meets. The customers peer group all use windows and are ignorant of anything else. Outside of traditionaly strong creative markets the mac suffers from a hangover. Apple cannot be trusted to ship on time and crucially they are the only game in town. If a company hired someone in the morning and I needed a computer on his/her desk as soon as poss, Apple would not be the company to deliver and I could not contact another manufacturer as a backup. If you need a Wintel machine you can call Dell, Compaq.....the list goes on. I think Apple have already done everything in their power to convert windows users. It must be frustrating for them, they have good products and brand recognition that they cannot translate into sales. Shame really.

*giggles* he said penetrate

I agree with Racer X.

My brother uses Windows causes it's available, i don't think he has a preference for what system he is running as long as he can keep doing his artwork in photoshop and chat online.

Although, we didn't get a software bundle. i'm sure many people receive them with their dell, hp, sony pc's.

Originally posted by RacerX
What is stopping them now? PCs run a ton of operating systems that are superior to Windows... and none of them are made by Apple. Yet they use Windows. I own three PCs, I own almost every version of Windows from 1.0 to 2000 pro, I own copies of Office 97 and 2000, and yet not one of my PCs has any Microsoft software on them.

What is stopping them from switching to a superior OS?

"Superior" is probably pretty subjective. Do you mean in the server space? Linux has a huge market share. Do you mean on the desktop? I think only a small percentage of Linux users would consider it "superior" overall on the desktop. I definitely wouldn't.

BeOS? It was great desktop, but it's dead. Was killed by anti-competitive practices. OS/2? Dead. FreeBSD/Solaris? Feh. Which "superior" OS are you talking about?

My opinion, there are currently two desktop OSes being produced - Windows and OS X. Linux is a distant third, though it still hasn't made it (except in very limited circumstances).

Rip

Originally posted by Ripcord
"Superior" is probably pretty subjective.

There are a number of Linux distros that are as easy for the average user to use as Windows XP, in fact easier as they would be spending more of their time working then patching or update antivirus software. In every operating system way, they are superior.

And yes, Solaris is superior to Windows.

Yes, the BeOS was superior. Why didn't people make that move?

Yes, OS/2 Warp 4.0 was superior. Why didn't people make that move?

And when there was NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, why didn't people make the move then?

Why do people continue to use Windows when there is no shortage of superior operating systems?

Applications.

Why would Mac OS X on x86 fail?

Lack of applications.

Subjective or not, the applications barrier is the primary barrier for many people using other operating systems. Superior operating systems exist, but the best OS in the world with applications does little more than keep a system on.

Do you mean on the desktop? I think only a small percentage of Linux users would consider it "superior" overall on the desktop. I definitely wouldn't.

Why? KDE, Gnome and Mad Hatter are all as good as Windows ME/XP in my book. And CDE is about even with Windows.

And where did you get the idea that only a small percentage of Linux users would consider it "superior" overall on the desktop.

Back