SUN's Project: Looking Glass

CDE has had something similar to the Dock for as long as I can remember. Credit where credit is due.

Definitely a nice demo. A lot of it is pure candy, which is fine, just like switchin gusers in OS X is pure candy (and a lot of other OS X things BTW, like genie windows and the like).

Only one thing stood out as genuinely cool, which was the notes form on the back of windows. Nice touch. Apple should steal that. I would like to see that included in every application on a document level. So many times I've wanted to make a note about a file (like what the source fonts were used to make a logo before outlining and such). Yes, I could use the comments field in the Get Info of a file, but it's so clunky in comparison. I could see Apple merely using that Window flip as a UI to effectively add a comment to the Get Info comment field.

The 3D rotating windows is nearly useless AFAICT. Also, the beveled, semi-hidden effect is also borderline useless. Either get out of my way completely or stay fully visible. Pick one. Don't kind of get out of my way.

soulseek said:
right now we have something that works good and fast on slower machines. the dock and expose !!! then we have that prototype thing. noone knows how it works on existing machines... apple could import 3D features to OS X .. but if it runs good only on G5s.. than its useless....

System Requirements

Minimum Supported Configuration: Pentium II-compatible processor, 266 MHz; 4-GB hard disk; 128-MB RAM; 800x600 screen resolution

Recommended Configuration: Pentium III-compatible processor, 600 MHz or faster; at least 4-GB hard disk; at least 256-MB RAM; 1024x768 screen resolution or better

Specs from here

Not too demanding. Why couldn't it be the same on the Mac?

Erm, Java Desktop System is more of a Linux bundle than anything else. It has nothing to do with Project Looking Glass, except that some of the Looking Glass technology might find its way into Java Desktop one day =)

I liked the old collapsible windows of OS 9 and before ... I don't need them to be 3D ... don't see the use of that. Actually I think you need more manipulations (clicks etc.) to get something done when you can use the backside of windows or something like that. F9 - Tab does it for me: no 3D, no multiple desktops or workspaces. Just expose and switch.

Yeah, there's also supposedly no "practical" reason to Expose using the 3D processor in the system and performing that very nice "slide/zoom" feature. Why doesn't it just *click* into place and avoid the CPU-hogging, time-consuming slide? It could take 50ms instead of 300ms!

While we're at it, *WHY* does Apple insist on continuing to including support to use the mouse for system navigation? Keyboard access is MUCH faster and more efficient. I can hit Shift-CMD-N for a new folder, CMD-backspace to delete, CMD-enter to launch, CMD-Control-Shift-Option-OpenApple-printscreen-F1through12-back-uppercut to launch missles... For 99% of system navigation it's much faster, and more efficient (assuming you're a good typist and have three hands)

And when is Apple going to get over this GUI thing, anyway? Linux has it right - a big black screen with my text, and just alt-F1 through F5 for my various windows. Run midnight commander to browse the filesystem, and I'm all set. The GUI is far too slow and should only be launched when I run Photoshop or a solitaire game.

Bleh. There's just no point to interfaces with style, or with organic, intuitive interfaces that more closely mimic the real world and/or that we can organize and relate to better in our minds...

Yep, Solaris/CDE had a Dock long before Mac OS X came along. No need to shout "copy!" here. And I'm pretty sure that the 3D window effects don't stem from Exposé but from the basic idea of a 3D desktop.

(You'll find a screenshot from RacerX showing a CDE desktop with the dock - http://www.macfora.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=238651 - here...)

Makes me wonder what Mac OS X will look like in, say, five years from now, though. And whether we will scream 'copy!' at it, because it took some 3D fx from SUN's and Microsoft's ideas...

I can see all OSs adopting transparency, 3d object oriented effects, etc... so really what this is more about is cool effects. I'm of the thought that Sun has created Expose on steroids as well. This is worlds beyond what Windows users currently have, but it's a baby step from what mac users have seen recently. I could see something similar in 10.4.

You have to admit this does have the flavor of Apple. Copying, following, or emulating, you decide.

eye candy effects are allways welcome for me :) !!! that is why i have the genie effect for minimizing ON. otherwise i would disable it ...
the thing is that its not really useful..3D effects wont be really useful and that is why i wouldnt want them if they take up too much processor power :p

The Barbie Doll was pretty innovative for it's day... not that I played with them as a child... But I agree, this is an Expose on steroids.

this is nothing like expose :)

let me put it this way.
if i had to use jaguar again i couldnt. because i NEED expose.

now what u see in the videos. u dont really need !

fryke said:
Yep, Solaris/CDE had a Dock long before Mac OS X came along. No need to shout "copy!" here. And I'm pretty sure that the 3D window effects don't stem from Exposé but from the basic idea of a 3D desktop.

(You'll find a screenshot from RacerX showing a CDE desktop with the dock - http://www.macfora.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=238651 - here...)

Makes me wonder what Mac OS X will look like in, say, five years from now, though. And whether we will scream 'copy!' at it, because it took some 3D fx from SUN's and Microsoft's ideas...

having never probably used CDE you wouldnt know that its "toolbar" is nothing whatsoever like the NeXT or OS X Dock.

Amazing. Ive been a Sun Microsystem's fan and I would love to use this on my 60mhz SparcStation ;)

Heh. I love it. Looks so cool.

if you want the same effects, turn on zoom (cmd + option + 8, then cmd + option + =). As soon as you're zoomed in, take mouse and move around. not exactly 3d but hey. :D

I think that's very very clever.

Truly magnificent innovations that we can only hope will transfer nicely to the world of Apple.

it has been a while since september with expose maybe ?

im waitin for 10.4 later this year for some more innovation.
apple is making wonderful things happen (at the price of $129). im proud to say that im a mac os X user :)

Back