SUN's Project: Looking Glass

that's just copying mac os x!
its just slightly different... it had a copy of the dock, and a copy of exposé!

some of the features have been around in os X for the past 3 years :) the dock and the movie playin in the dock for example...
and then we have expose,.. which is similar to the features in the video... and personally i think much more useful :)
and im sure expose will evolve with future os x versions :)

Old news! :D

Still, they have a long way to go and methinks that until they will release it, MANY things will change by then for them but for Apple as well :p

The whole point of Project Looking Glass (LG) is to implement a 3D user interface. AFAIK, Apple doesn't do anything like that yet, but you could see LG as Expose on steroids :)

Thinking practically, LG doesn't do anything to boost productivity. Its more of a wow factor, so while I would like to have it(to show off, why else?), I don't really need it.

it's obvious where sun got it's inspiration from. Once again, apple is being copied. Sun concept is kinda cool, but their gui and just whole look and feel looks weird. I bet os 10.4 will be off the hook. Whem i'm at the wwdc this year, i know my apple will demonstrate something that will make the crowd go crazy.

I think it's great, IMO any innovation in the UI area (an area that has lagged tremendously for the 5-10 years leading up until the release of OS X) is a great thing, even if they're just improving/expanding on existing ideas. Keep the imagination and progress flowing!

From what I've heard they're having all kinds of issues with keeping it running right now, and when they're able to do that it eats up resources like crazy. Guess there's alot of optimization left to be done.

innovation in the UI area takes processor power....
open an activity app.. and just move around the dock with Magnification ON... and see how much processor power it takes up...
now imagine 3D rotating windows etc...

RyanLang said:
I thought Solaris always had a dock.

yep. same as I thought. OS X got the dock from NextStep, but Solaris has pretty much always had a "dock"...

The rest of it though... Exposé doesn't do that. It may show me all that I have open, resize it, but revolve, dock and tilt to the edge of the screen, and rotate?

No.

i love the whole idea of stacking windows flat along the screen and being able to read the name. i would find that extremely useful

Exposé has a practical value, though, while turning windows upside down with fancy 3D effects doesn't. About as innovative as a barbie doll, - I'm sure a small part of the population is going to love playing with it.

right. and when Exposé does it, it will be be wonderful?

please. it's as innovative as the stolen technology from Xerox for the first UI for the Macintosh. I'm personally bored with the existing OS technology. Too static. Too boring.

And honestly... this is the kind of stuff they're (Microsoft) is proposing with Longhorn.

virtual desktops. I'd like Apple to do that too. I'm tired of using Space 0.6

gerbick said:
yep. same as I thought. OS X got the dock from NextStep, but Solaris has pretty much always had a "dock"...

The rest of it though... Exposé doesn't do that. It may show me all that I have open, resize it, but revolve, dock and tilt to the edge of the screen, and rotate?

No.

Solaris has used CDE and GNOME as its desktop environments. neither have anything that resembles the Dock.

after watching that demo, it kind of makes OSX's eyecandy seem a little minimalistic.

SUN has a great proof of concept going on but how pratical are a lot of those features?

that thing across the bottom, sometimes the side, that has the applications and documents you've either opened or still have active... that's not the same?

:confused:

right now we have something that works good and fast on slower machines. the dock and expose !!! then we have that prototype thing. noone knows how it works on existing machines... apple could import 3D features to OS X .. but if it runs good only on G5s.. than its useless....

Back