Switch campaign - the other way round

Have you thought about switching to the PC side (aka the dark side)?

• I have already

• Yes, if Apple doesn't push out better hardware, I might do it

• Just for a second, but I came to my senses

• No, I would never ever even think about it! You are a traitor!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tigger

Bring mich zum Licht!
Apple has its switch campaign going to get Windows users to the Mac platform.

Now, with Apple don't getting quite the performance on par with the current PCs, I found myself thinking about buying a PC as my next Computer.

Now I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us also have such bad thoughts. :D

for a while about half a year ago I was thinking about WHY I think Macs are so much better. I had actually considered a PC :shudder: I came to my senses though :) and I'll never think about it again.

I use a Mac at home and sometimes a PC while in class at college. PC users maybe be happy, but I do not see the appeal to Windoze. I would rather use an Amiga Commadore, take it back to the old school if I'm going to waste my time. PCs bore me, and are a pain to design on. Many things have changed, or should i say have been copied from Macs over the years. The Mac is the trend setter, and the PC is the follower. There can only be so many leaders, other must follow, and those that follow tend to out number those that lead. Not to put down any PC users, I believe in equal computer use. I just prefer a MAC.

I run both. I have a Pentium 4 at work running Debian Linux. I've got a Pentium III 667 at home running Debian Linux. My wife's PC is an AMD Athlon 1.4ghz dual booting Windows 2000 and Debian Linux. And finally I've got my Apple iBook G3 500mhz running OS X.

I would love to have an Apple that ran as fast as my PC's. I do think that OS X is the best all-around OS available today.

right after .mac was announced I was so disappointed with Apple, I started fantasising about Linux on a AMD-powered tower...I snapped out of it thou, much with the comments of simX

although I've used PCs at work for the last couple of years, and I've owned a home made PC since 2001, a few weeks ago I sold my Powerbook G4/500 and needed a replacement that would be my main computer for the next couple of weeks while I live in hotel while my new house is built. My main needs are Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Lightwave 3D.

I have to admit that I seriously looked at getting a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S701. It was about $600 less than the PBG4/800, and it had a much better graphics chip (GF42GO) and a larger HD (60GB), not to mention a crisper screen with a higher resolution (1600x1200).

However, in the end, I decided to stick with the Powerbook G4/800 for a couple of reasons. The first being that all the software I own is Mac. I could have gotten warez copies of the same apps for PC, but I like to be legit. The other reason was weight. The Toshiba was about 2.3 lbs heavier - almost 50% of the weight of the PBG4. The last reason was OS X 10.2 . It's just that good. XP pales in comparison.

XP still has it's place, but even though Apple has thoroughly teed me off over the .Mac pricing, I'm sticking with them for another year.

I just recently "switched" to a Mac
(before the ads, mind you) and I don't regret it for a second. The new mac I bought is 100mhz slower than the dell i bought 2 years ago. Do i miss those 100mhz? No. Are there other more important things that make up for it? You bet. Like the ad says, "it sends other unix [window managers] to /dev/null"

I've used PC's since I was like 3. When you get used to them they aren't so bad. The whole competitve-marketplace-for-apps-and-hardware thing makes them pretty attractive, and keeps their performance on the cutting edge. If you're into having the hardware for its own sake, get a PC. But as I'm getting older and more jaded, well, ok, FEELING older and more jaded, performance is meaning less and less.

Games and servers aside, does all that performance really get you anything? You have to wait on the HD for most things anyway, so really what's the difference between 1 and 3 GHz? If you work with graphics, then maybe you've got a bone to pick, but most other applications won't notice the difference. The last "killer-app" to seriously tax computer hardware was the web. All computers now can pretty much deal with it. Until the next big thing comes along, what do you need more mhz for? (like i said, games and servers aside)

Who cares if you can do things quickly if the things that you are doing suck? It's all about the operating system. Most of your time is spent interacting with it. Windows is aggravating and Linux is a chore. If I could buy a cheap, fast machine with mac os and a sleep function like mac's, i would. But i can't. And good thing for Apple, too. Would you buy a car with 500hp if the seats were wooden and gave you splinters? Ok, bad example maybe, cause driving fast is a lot more fun than typing fast, but you get the picture.

Everybody assumes that computers will just keep getting faster and faster and if you get left behind the wave, then you won't have any fun. Think about this: If suddenly all computer manufacturers vanished, and no more computers were made, would you be happy with the one you have NOW? For the rest of your life? I would. I couldn't say the same about any computer before this one (700mhz iBook that has yet to prove underpowered for anything important)

I SWITCHED BACKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Got your attention huh?

I only switched back cause over a year ago I got my iBook (Orange clamshell) stolen:eek: Man did that suck Azz.... And before OS X too ughhhhhh

I had and still have a PC, even with the mac.
I think my PC does serve its puprpose (well untill i save for a powerbook 800).

I like my PC, its a intel 850mhz runnin "Windoze crashME". I am not a man that needs the fastest thing out there, so the speed of my PC is great, i just need more memory. Its a great machine butt IT RUNS WINDOWS ME. yes i have thrown my keyboard out my window three times out anger. (its getting expensive to replace).

When I get my Powerbook (or iBook if i dont save enough) I will still keep my PC just so i can continue playing the NBA LIVE (I got an awesome franchise going). and cause I am to ocheap to buy Vitural PC and M$ office, thats $700 for two programs i wont use
:confused:

i was a long time pc user, and at times miss wintel for the games
and hardware available for gaming... otherwise, i dont miss it at all..

i do still have an old dell laptop (pII 233) with win98. just in case.
but havent used it in months

Switching to the Dark Side is usually a two bladed sword.

At first, of course, your new hardware is great, anyway. You'll be getting 'into it' a little bit. You'll find that there actually _are_ things done better in Windows, while other stuff will frustrate you - but it's all a matter of getting used to it, right?

After a few weeks, you'll notice that it's not. Mac OS X may have its flaws like any other operating system, but there are so many things done right that using another operating system will always render you less productive.

With Jaguar around the corner, I think it's the worst time to switch to the wrong side, as this upgrade is going to make life on Mac OS X even more a pleasure.

I still have a PC under my desk, but the 17" LCD is hooked up to my TiBook. I only need the PC to test some stuff I'm developing for the web - and to watch TV. But then again I also have a TV for watching TV.

I've been using Windows at work for several years. That experience has inoculated me against any temptation to switch to the Dark Side.
I do occasionally think about picking up a cheapo PC to run Linux on. But Windoze? No freaking way!

I have installed Linux on my PC, too. But I have to say that I'm just not the PC person, although I've administered, configured and installed many of them in my life. (Or maybe BECAUSE.) Linux is a fine operating system for all of our web- and mailservers, but it's not there yet for your desktop. Or for mine, at least. I don't do any actual work on a Linux box, even writing stories (for which basically ANY computer ever built should be enough) isn't what I want to do on that machine.

I guess it comes down to whether you're a 'Mac person' or a 'PC person'. And I think a lot of today's PC users are - at their heart - Mac persons, only, they don't know it yet. So I think the Switch campaign of Apple makes sense. (Although I hate to watch those ads.)

For me, linux on the desktop makes perfect sense. I LOVE that I have the ability to tweak it however I want. That is definitely one thing I miss on OS X. No, there isn't an icon or a gui app for doing everything you want, I always have a shell window open. Of course I pretty much have terminal open on OS X all the time too.

It all comes down to what you are used to. When I've run windows, I feel like my hands are tied. OS X definitely gives me more freedom on the desktop and makes many things really easy. And Linux allows me the most freedom, but still requires that I work under the hood for some things. Of course, too much choice and freedom on the desktop can definitely scare off some people.

Well, it's really a bit like with cars (for the desktop user at least).

Linux is your hot rod. You'll change bits and pieces to get the last bit of power out of it. You'll drive it in your spare time, outside of town. You'll have to get the mixture of gasoline right yourself, too.

Windows is a cheap station wagon. It *should* work well, but you'll have to fiddle with it a lot.

And Mac OS X is like the Smart. It'll bring you from point A to B - no problem. You won't have to take a look under the hood (if you'll even find where to look exactly), but it also won't let you easily.

I, personally, prefer the last one, as I'm not a computer hobbyist. My hobby is writing, and my computer should just let me do that. And my profession is graphics artist - not desktop customizer. So I also don't really care for themes much and like to have the handles where I expect them to be.

I'm an Information Technology Analyst for a personnel department in a local government, which means I'm a Lan Administrator, Tech Support, Programmer, babysitter, etc. I would have loved tohave put an Apple on everyone's desk, but it just wasn't feasible. So I ordered 20 Dell Pentium 4's 1.8ghz and 400mhz FSB to replace the 5 year old PC's on everyone's desks. Ordered them with Windows 2000 since I despise everything Microsoft has become so there's no way I'd ever order XP. They are already running Office 2000 so I didn't need to replace that. These computers cost me around $1400 each with 15" lcd monitors. Hopefully in 3 or 4 years, I can justify purchasing iMac's provided the costs are similar and the performance is similar. Plus I'm hoping by then to replace Office 2000 with Open Office or Star Office and a OS X native version is available.

My goal next year is to replace my work computer with a PowerBook. I'll need to work on the Director though.

no, the only reason would be games, but I've got an N64 and a PS2 so it isnt worth it. and there's the fact that windows is utter crap

I've been in computer support since 79 (PCs starting in 89). I first used a Mac in 92 to do cad drawings for our site plans (passed on to me by the person who did it previously). I hated the damn thing as it consistently gave me the dreaded bomb. I quickly switched to a PC version.

Alone the way I built my own windows boxes and acquired an MCSE. Ironically, I was hired by my college to support its 400 Macs.

I cursed the darn things. OS9 constantly locked up on me. I could not understand why Mac people were so dedicated to Apple when the darn things locked up all the time. I was happy at home with my win2k server as it never locked up on me. The only thing that bugged me was the lousy security and constant security patches for the win2k.

Then OSX came out. Oh baby, this is it! Unix security with idiot-proof GUI access. I've given my PC to my son and now only use Macs.

Home (actually belongs to the college): PBG4 800 1GB RAM 40GB HD Combo Drive

Work: 4 G4 733 servers 1.5GB RAM 100GB RAID

This is it baby. There are times when I've toyed with the idea of 2 ghz but for linux only and when I go that route I loose some things I love. The ease of use, the commercial apps, the Macintosh community. I might consider making my main machine Linux if I could get Photoshop for it (gimp isn't it) but what I have now is great. The ability to run X Windows side by side with Aqua seemlessly.

OS X is the future, and we're only in the first iterations. Look at how long XP has been in development (starting from NT) and it's just now useable. Despite some rather terrible decisions such as .mac looking so much like .net I think Apple will be there for the alternative culture for years to come and will be the worlds last chance to break the M$ mold.

OSX will be the future when benchmarks tests will tell that OSX machines are faster at 3-D rendering than XP machines.

The 3-D render is just an example. I think my point is clear: OSX is too slow. I still WAIT for my browser to open, while PC people on XP just see a slight taskbar animation and that's it, the window is there.

Is speed the price of stability ?

Back