Switch campaign - the other way round

Have you thought about switching to the PC side (aka the dark side)?

• I have already

• Yes, if Apple doesn't push out better hardware, I might do it

• Just for a second, but I came to my senses

• No, I would never ever even think about it! You are a traitor!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by BuddahBobb

"i dont mean to sound like an asshole or someone who is "above" all this, but IMHO windows and mac os have been floating towards each other, both copying each other etc getting more and more similar with each new OS"

It is true that Windows and the Mac OS have grown more similar but the remaining differences are what keep me using a Mac.

"do i know that the market for macs is a dwindling one? yes it is... but does that make it an excuse to go around throwing insults at people who use a different OS? i guess thats up to you, i dont see the need"

I don't think any more insults have been thrown your way than have been thrown at the Mac users on this forum.

"yes i know service bureaus use mac formatted files, but in all honesty with adobe's cross platform capabilties lessen that gap a bit... the only file format that i know of that isnt nicely cross platform, that i output in is quark. but even with quark files i have never had a problem going back and forth and opening on either machine. personally i use PDFs now as my final output because i use InDesign more often than not, and again pdf's are very much cross platforms, i have not had a problem in a long time outputting from either, but since ive used both i must be an idiot because i touched the devil's machine!"

I think you miss the point a bit. It isn't that service bureaus so much use Mac formatted files as it is that PC files cause service bureaus far more problems than Mac files. Partly because of font issues and partly because PC's don't use ColorSync technology. One guy I talked to who ran a service bureau told me that they have 10 times the problem with PC files than they do with Mac files. At one time they charged PC users extra to work with their files. Of course to someone with your knowledge I'm sure this is all obvious information.

"on the other hand, why is the mac community dwindling? most answers will be... well because bill gates is evil, he is building an evil empire, he is monopolizing blah blah"

It's partly because of IT managers who simply can't deal with the fact that some people prefer Mac's. They feel that everyone has to be on the same platform, that being Windows.

"when the fact of the matter is, the apple OS can only be used on a computer from a specific manufacturer (apple) that is more expensive, so it doesnt leave very many options for the OS to spread, because in a time of a tightened economy and budget cuts in most corporations and educational facilities it is more beneficial for the pocketbook to buy pc's and if apple's os doesnt run on anything but their own equipment, and they cant sell their equipment at a cheaper rate, then that doesnt leave them in very good condition"

I'm willing to pay more to own a Mac. The fact that the OS and the hardware are assembled by them tends to make them be more reliable and last a little longer. Mac's also tend to actually cost less in the long run to support. If you don't believe me look it up.

MDA

i am also willing to spend more on a mac, i have no problem there

but in corporations, and educational facilities they dont know the information needed to make a "sacrifice" of money for a more expensive machine

i apologise about the insults part, i just havent seen many pc users here, let alone making insults, i dont read too much :)

as far as color profiles, I personally havent had a problem, and neither have i with fonts, i provide pc and mac version of fonts when i send files anywhere if fonts are needed with them... or since i generally output with pdf's i subset and embed

i think if apple built cheaper machines or offered their os to run on pc's their "problems" would be solved, but IMO i dont think they have a problem, they have performed well in the niche that they are in and i dont think it would be hugely beneficial for them to try and get out of that niche... it would be like a car company such as mercedes trying to oust toyota as the market leader in car sales, but trying to do it with more expensive cars... its hard to do plain and simple, you got to admit that

Just a little FYI for someone here who posted something about how printing houses only accept Mac formats or whatever...

All the new digital plates only accept PDF files, so it doesn't matter where that file comes from.

Houses may already accept PDF files of course, but any digital plate making equipment made today uses PDF as it's standard and won't accept anything else.

I just thought I'd put my 2¢ in...

PAiD

PDF is never a viable option as far as our print jobs are concerned... the turn around time if there are amendments dramatically increases. Plate making machines may require them, but this is assuming the job has been approved and ready for the press (save a wet-proof here or there;) )

(Oops, have I gone off-topic... sorry... ads, the other way, cool, yeah, whatever:D )

Originally posted by uoba
PDF is never a viable option as far as our print jobs are concerned... the turn around time if there are amendments dramatically increases. Plate making machines may require them, but this is assuming the job has been approved and ready for the press (save a wet-proof here or there;) )

(Oops, have I gone off-topic... sorry... ads, the other way, cool, yeah, whatever:D )

And, so what's your point? You (or your company) doesn't know how to adapt to new technology? I thought you were a Mac User?

There's one thing my company adopting new technology, it's another thing getting the printers doing the same... and of those of us who know printers well... well, they'de still be using System 7 if they could;) )

There are still too many problems trying to turn around fast deadline when dealing with PDFs, unless of course your company can afford a full-time dedicated Mac Artworker... but we are not all in this position.

As for the PC-Mac debate in print design, I mirror MDA's statement... however the big crunch in all this is the fonts issue.

I spent 1 week trying to find the typeface of all typefaces on the PC, Akzidenz Grotesk (the origin of Helvetica and much nicer;) )... eventually I had to settle for a renamed version. Microsoft and Adobe are going some way to rectifying this type of problem with OpenType, but the foundries have to be willing to redo there type, which will take a long time.

Originally posted by uoba
There's one thing my company adopting new technology, it's another thing getting the printers doing the same... and of those of us who know printers well... well, they'de still be using System 7 if they could;) )

There are still too many problems trying to turn around fast deadline when dealing with PDFs, unless of course your company can afford a full-time dedicated Mac Artworker... but we are not all in this position.

As for the PC-Mac debate in print design, I mirror MDA's statement... however the big crunch in all this is the fonts issue.

I spent 1 week trying to find the typeface of all typefaces on the PC, Akzidenz Grotesk (the origin of Helvetica and much nicer;) )... eventually I had to settle for a renamed version. Microsoft and Adobe are going some way to rectifying this type of problem with OpenType, but the foundries have to be willing to redo there type, which will take a long time.

Once again, I don't know what you're talking about. Making a PDF and sending it to the client is as easy as anything else. It's sure easier than collecting for output. PDF has been widely accepted as an exchange format for years now... I don't understand where you're coming from.

As far as your font woes... whatever... Berthold has its own type foundry where you can get Akzidenz for Mac or PC... it's part of Adobe's library as well. Using fonts on the PC is no different than Mac.

> one week looking for this? <

Making a PDF and sending it to a client is as easy as anything

...firstly, I'm not talking about the clients (obviously sending PDFs to a client is a daily occurence), I'm talking about the printers! You cannot ask a printer to amend a PDF as easily as a Quark or Illustrator file (just too many complications)...

2 of our printers just will not accept PDF files to work from, it costs them time to deal with them... again, if there are any amendments (and there always are)!

As for Akzidenz Grotesk, ah yes, that 'face is a beauty... by the way, I was talking many many years ago;)

Anyway, we've gone off topic with the pros and cons of PDF artwork.

My stance with this topic: keep an eye on IBM:D

I come from the windows background. I am so impressed with my Mac, and OS X. I have gotten rid of all windows machines (except my wifes, and I am working on it).

I work in a Mac client, Linux Server environment, and it is so nice. Granted there are a ton of apps that only run on windows, but oh well! The printer thing is a pain, in fact I am scouring the columns now looking for help for my printer and my Linksys wireless router!

Check out the new M$ licensing model, and then see if you still want to switch!:eek:

Originally posted by fab5freddy

Once again, I don't know what you're talking about. Making a PDF and sending it to the client is as easy as anything else. It's sure easier than collecting for output. PDF has been widely accepted as an exchange format for years now... I don't understand where you're coming from.
I know exactly what he is talking about. Yes PDF workflow is coming strong. But it is not nearly there where like to see it.
I had a hard time with one printer taking no PDF. Finally, I ended up sending him a Quark file, like I should have done in the first place.

If you only got printers around you that take PDFs and print them, then fine for you. But please don't try to make others look dumb cause they are not so lucky.

I called the Apple store today (Yes, I am 75% there buying a Mac, again).
Really funny: Here in Germany the voice from tape pronounces "Apple" like [apl] and "Mac" like [mak]. :D

Originally posted by nimrod

Check out the new M$ licensing model, and then see if you still want to switch!:eek:
The thing about the Microsoft licensing model is ful of misunderstandings:
It is a OPTION to take the model there you pay every year and get every upgrade.
You can still buy your copy of XP version whatever and don't have to buy anything again, unless you want to upgrade.

Back