system utilities

greatday101

Registered
i am running mac 10.3.9 and safari 1.3.1. i use the following utilities:

macaroni
onyx
cocktail

question is if you HAD to choose just one of the 3, which would it be? :(

I wouldn't choose any of the 3, but I run a pretty tight ship when it comes to my operating system (no haxies, appearance mods, etc.) so it's as stable as stable can be without the need for 3rd-party maintenance.

I do repair permissions after installing new software, occasionally boot from the OS X install CD and check my hard drive health, and let my computer stay awake at night once or twice a month so the cron scripts can run.

This maintenance routine has kept my systems running 24/7 with uptimes in the months without any stability or operating system problems whatsoever.

The days of constant maintenance under OS 9 are gone with OS X.

I like Cocktail more than the other two.

I also like Onyx as well. I use it to run the cron scripts, which as ElDiablo points out you can do manually with terminal or let the computer stay running. I also do not like to tweak out my system with third-party things.

I use Onyx because its free (Cocktail costs €15).

I suspect that most of the functions are not really necessary, as repairing disc permissions can be done with disc utility (especially after installing new software), and as ElDiabloConCaca says, checking the HD with the installation disc occasionally is easy and recommended.

I use Onyx for running the cron scripts as I don't beleieve these run automatically if you put your computer to sleep for the night (please correct me if I am wrong anyone).

I would endorse ElDiabloConCaca's comment about not using Haxies. There are just bling and can knacker your OS (as I learnt during a mad period of Mac vanity).

Onyx is very good but for simple task if prefer yasu more straightforward for non techie like meself ;)

In Terminal;

Run the maintenance scripts manually:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Repair permissions in Terminal

sudo diskutil repairPermissions

Back