T-Shirt Designs....

well... if we printed them ourselves and gave them away for free, I bet there would not be any problems... ya see... cafepress will be making money from Apple's logo. That is the problem.

Well these people are making themselves...but not giving them away. They charge people for them... thus my question!

There are some really great ways to make T-Shirts from your home computer with T-Shirt Iron On Transfer Paper... the kind that I used SUCKED but the kind our school has (and uses in the Tech Lab class) is very nice quality.... you wouldn't know it was transfer paper unless you told someone...

but if you do use cafe press, maybe put on the back of the shirt in really small print:

The Apple logo is a copyrighted trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. and is only used for brand distinction purposes.

I suppose that would work. Give apple credit... what a good idea.

Ive heard about the iron on crap that you can use. The only stuff I have seen has been really crappy. Maybe I havent looked hard enough. But I would rather have... professionals do it... and pay the extra cash.

Originally posted by Lessthanmighty
Ive heard about the iron on crap that you can use. The only stuff I have seen has been really crappy. Maybe I havent looked hard enough. But I would rather have... professionals do it... and pay the extra cash.

I have a couple iron ons left. they are crap. The stuff starts peeling off after 5-6 washes. I would rather have pros do it too... and these pros are doing it for "free".

We need to find something else to do. All we have is anti-M$ things.... not that that is that bad... but we could do better.

I need suggestions... where are the 10,000 members of this site? Waste of life. jeez.

I think vic was on to something there. They do make those kits for your printer to make iron-ons.

Fire up one of those and slap it on some cheap t-shirt and sell it for $20.

In regards to the copywrite material...

Copywrite laws are just that. The prevention of duplication for any reason, without the expressed written concent of the owner of the copywrite.

Now, that being said, as long as you or anyone else does not make money off the use of the Apple logo, then you can use it. But the use of the terms "make money" is very specific.

If there is any money indirectly or directly made from this product or a product associated with it, you'll be hearing from Apple's lawyers.

A friend of mine got into trouble from Nike over this very subject.

He was producing, of all things, t-shirts. He had developed a whole theme of shirts that he was making himself. One of the t-shirts he wore was a self-made Nike shirt. He Didn't sell this shirt, but he had it up as a display net to shirts he did sell.

The idea behind the display was for customers to guess which one was original Nike shirt and what one was made by his company. The way the display and related advertisment was designed, it actually highlighted the Nike logo and shirt design (which was just a black Nike logo on a white shirt).

Nike didn't see it that way, they sued him and won.

Apple is no different than any other company when it comes to protecting it's image. Simply put, they don't want anyone making money off their image - for any reason.

If you're really serious about doing this t-shirt thing, please consider the trouble you could get yourself into if your product becomes really popular.

You have to make an attempt at changing the content of the logo...Or you have to get Apple's concent to use their logo. Don't avoid the issue and just expect Apple to understand, deal with it now so you can move forward and create great t-shirts for everyone to enjoy.

Oh, one more thing...

Screen printing is a very sloppy process. If you do it yourself, you will be very luck to get the colors to line up at all.

Artwork with multiple colors, or mixtures of colors, (such as four color process) are a pain to get on a shirt. Gradients are almost an impossibility.

Printing companies have problems getting four colors (cmyk) to line up on a run. It takes a few sheets of test paper before the press has the cmyk plates all lined up. Then when they are lined up, the paper can stretch. This is why most press-ready artwork has trapping (an overprint of a darker color to a lighter color so they don't have to exactly line up the two touching colors). Knowing that, imagine what a t-shirt will do? There are no "test" t-shirts, and the shirt stretch can be quit substantial.

The process is sometimes referred to as "slopping the T"

Think of that when you do your designs. I would see what the thread count and blend of your t-shirts is before I even start designing on them. You have to have a very high-quality t-shirt to get a desirable result from your artwork.

Thanks for the info dude... really.... but what a buzz kill!:D

So just as long as I dont put an apple one my shirts im fine... good. NEXT!

"I once stuck a t-shirt in my computer printer to see if it would work...all that came out was a tydy t-shirt..."
-My Java/C++ Teacher

"You live, you learn."
-Me, in reply

Wow Rick... we have not done anything with the T-shirts in over a week. I guess we have been kind of busy ? right?

Yeah... thats it! Too busy. Well... eventually we will think of something cool to do. I have made a few designs but they all suck big ones! Ohh well, back to the drawing board.

I did... they are there. The still suck though. I cant beleive none of these other members here have not posted ANYTHING!

How bout I offer to put their designs on the website and make the shirts they want.. just so they dont have to go through the hassle of doing it themselves. Maybe then we will get some submissions from these guys/girls.

Jerry... your post was like a week ago. I dont think anyone wants to play.

Ahhh well.... I have a new idea. We should make shirts that say "Maureen 4 Prez!" Have them made, and wear them on election day. What publicity!

Back