The colors of the mini iPod.

Do you like the new iPodmini colors?

• Yes, they look cool with the colors

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • They look colors but I don't want one/I think it's for an other kind of users than me

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Nope, I want white

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Nope, I want brushed metal (no fruity colors for me)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I like the silver (platinum?)

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • I like the gold

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I like the pink

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I like the green

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I like the blue

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeXpop

iEye
Okay, I decided to post this as a separate thread instead of the official thread because I want to read a more uniformed discussion about specifically the COLORS of the iPod mini's.

Seriously... Didn't apple get over this phase in 2001? Since then, apple products (or at least macs) have had a specific color scheme: White for consumer, and metallic for professional. The iPod kind of had both, if you consider the backside metallic. When I was reading rumors about the mini iPods, I laughed off the multi-colored part. But they actually went ahead and did it! Do you think this is the first baby step into a new coloring scheme or what?

i think the colors can be cool. but maybe make a model where you can change the color, like the xpress covers on the nokias? get one ipod, and get 3 or 4 mini covers for it. that'd be more cool :)
i'd go for the platinum one.. if i was buying one.

I'm not happy with the colors either. I think Apple should have stuck with the white/metallic look. But as Steve said, the photos might not do it justice.

Giaguara said:
i think the colors can be cool. but maybe make a model where you can change the color, like the xpress covers on the nokias? get one ipod, and get 3 or 4 mini covers for it. that'd be more cool :)
i'd go for the platinum one.. if i was buying one.

Well, no doubt skins are coming, as they came for the other generation iPods. Personally I'd like to see a white or a black one.

And crapdevil, when I look at them, it seems to me they're more pastel then metallic. What metal is pink?

I think they should have gone with more bold anodizing. There are much brighter and more possibilities, but their research people would know better I suppose

MikeXpop said:
And crapdevil, when I look at them, it seems to me they're more pastel then metallic. What metal is pink?

Technically, none of those pastel colors are comprised by the metal -- they're anodized on the metal... :p I'm assuming they'll have a metallic finish to them, kind of like the AlBook -- it's not grey, it's metallic grey!

I'll have to see one in person, but to me, the photos on Apple's site make them look metallicky. Yes, pink metallic. Blue metallic. Puke green metallic... they're metallic, dammit! ;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Technically, none of those pastel colors are comprised by the metal -- they're anodized on the metal... :p I'm assuming they'll have a metallic finish to them, kind of like the AlBook -- it's not grey, it's metallic grey!

I'll have to see one in person, but to me, the photos on Apple's site make them look metallicky. Yes, pink metallic. Blue metallic. Puke green metallic... they're metallic, dammit! ;)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the color choices, not how they look on the miniPod. To put it another way, if those colors were in a box of crayola crayons, it would have the title "pastels" instead of "metals".

I agree with you completely though. I'm heading off to the Apple store for some minor repairs on the iBook on Saturday. I'll be able to see what they look like in person then.

EDIT: I re-read your original post and you said "metallic pastels". It's going to be one of those years... ::sleepy::

I think the finish (metallic) of the iPod minis and the colors are quite spiffy looking. Granted, most of us old farts are probably over the the whole "flavors" thing, but I know my cousins (twin girls at the age of teeny-bopperness) will probably just be pining for these things. I dunno their favorite colors, but I think they'll each find a color they want. The colors definitely aren't for the hard-core geeks, but for people like my cousins (incredibly fashion-concious).

My opinion, and the general consensus around the office is that the colors are hideous. I don't see the iPod minis as being a big seller. The hideous colors aside, why would someone pay $249 for a 4GB player when they can get the 15GB player for $299. The only benefits of the 4GB player are 1) size (and the difference between the two isn't that great), and 2) flash format is better suited for people who get "physical" with their iPods.

So, in essence, these things should have been targeted to those who work out and need a portable music solution. Instead, they look like they were marketed towards 12 year old school girls. Last time I checked, my 12 year niece didn't have $249 to blow on a portable music player.

My guess is that these iPods will be reworked (in more acceptable colors) faster than the Lime iBook disappeared from the shelves.

serpicolugnut said:
The only benefits of the 4GB player are 1) size (and the difference between the two isn't that great), and 2) flash format is better suited for people who get "physical" with their iPods.
For some reason everyone thinks the minipod is flash based, when in fact it has a hard drive in it. I will be buying a silver minipod because I pretty much just keep my 40 gig ipod in my car, and the minipod is a nice little player to run with, 1) because of the size and 2) because the buttons are easier to operate with one hand, and in my opinion they should use that design on the rest of the ipods. I am not a big fan of paying $249 for it, it should have been $199, but oh well, Apple was never cheap, and it IS the smallest large capacity mp3 player on the market.

I think the colors are more suitable for the Mini's target market. They go right along with the multicolored George Foreman Grills and tiny Nokia phones.

I thought the minipod (can't be bothered with iPod mini - oh, ****, I just did!) was one of the only interesting things in the keynote...

I'll be taking an anodised silver one with arm strap when they're available - purely for gym use (my 40GB is too big / delicate / and I don't need more than 1,000 songs to work out to at any one time!)

my girlfriend wants the pink one for her birthday in two weeks (she'll have to wait!) - why? "it's beautiful", and will fit in her handbag - she wouldn't use an iPod for backup anyway...

I've just got to get one of my American buddies to buy them for me now, and ship them to me - 'cos I'm not paying non-US prices!

True, we were all expecting a $100 price tag (but didn't Steve warn us when he said "we'd love to make a $100 iPod, but just now we don't know how to do it"?) - I guess it's true - "Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed"!

The colours are going to lure a lot of younger people into the brand - and they're the future, after all...

I'm expect these will look fantastic, as only anodised aluminium can. I have a couple of items in the colour-anodised aluminium (Maglite, Fuel canister, Walkman) and they all look great and are very resilient. They don't pick up scratches easily, either.

I'm rather tempted to get a gold one, though it looks like I have a fair wait since their worldwide release isn't until April, and even then I will wait for the first price-cut or spec update rather than buy the first generation.

I want a silver one (after the first price drop ...) to go with my powerbook! White iPods are foor iBook users! ;) :D

Surely nobody is going to get the gold one. Well except maybe some bling-bling RnB types, hmm.

I also think the green looks pretty bad, but the personally I think green should stick to nature and stay out of man made things.

I'd be tempted by the Silver, Pink or Blue though, but can't really justify buying one.

lnoelstorr said:
Surely nobody is going to get the gold one. Well except maybe some bling-bling RnB types, hmm.

I also think the green looks pretty bad, but the personally I think green should stick to nature and stay out of man made things.

I'd be tempted by the Silver, Pink or Blue though, but can't really justify buying one.
I live in Dubai - I bet the gold ones sell well here...
;)

I think the platinum (looks more platinum than silver in the pics) would look great with a pb. But 4 G sounds small after the 20 G .. and it's not that much smaller, sizewise. Hm.. place for a poll...

Back