The "Logs" folder took 700Mb disk space...

Lock the folder. Command-I > Ownership & Permissions - No Access

or Lock the folder.

I use Cocktail to clean out stuff every couple weeks.

Well, I'm assuming that your machine is either off or sleeping at night, which is when OS X usually runs little scripts that take care of the log files -- they either get deleted, cleaned, moved or modified in some way, and those scripts keep the log files nice and clean and small.

Use Cocktail to run the cron scripts under System > Scripts (running all of them the first time could take a few minutes).

Oh, and JFS doesn't have anything to do with the log files. Even if you had never turned JFS on, the logs would still have been mighty large.

Cocktail is shareware. If you don't intend to pay for it, one day the demo version will lock up .. and you will be in trouble. Locking logs folder seems safer. (Or just manually cleaning the lgos every few months.)

How about apple script? something like "At midnight > delete the contents of the ~/ Library / Logs / Crashreporter folder" :-/

You can also change your crontab to run your daily, weekly and monthly scripts at a time when your computer will be awake. Here's the link that describes how to do it - its actually very easy.

Yes but there's not a guarantee that my iBook won't be asleep at any exact time. A link here gives the console commands and I think you can write a quick apple script to do them on command. Check the comments to the article, one guy said they could be run simultaneously, though he may be full of smelly brown stuff.

I'm still running off my one and only installation of 10.2 on my PowerBook and iMac, both are under 256 k for their log folders.

Of course both are running 24/7 and have been ever since I started running any of the operating systems in the Mac OS X line.

Funny, I never thought to look at the size of that folder before. I'll have to see what it looks like on my clients systems.

I shut down my PowerBook when taking it places and my iMac gets turned off when I'm on long trips, but most of my systems are Unix-based (Mac OS X, Rhapsody, IRIX and Solaris) and they are running at night when most of the maintenance on them is being done.

As has been pointed out, you can change the schedule, but Mac OS X is a 24/7 operating system. Turning it off stops it from doing what it needs to do.

Do you usually go more than a day without using your system? The only extended down time my systems see is when I'm gone from home for more than 24 hours.

To me this is a bug. What they should do is every time the cleanup script runs, record it. Then on startup check if that cleanup has run when it should have and if not then run it. That shouldn't be very hard to do.. Apple can't expect all consumers, especially computer illiterate and switchers to keep their computers on all the time.

My Mac runs 24/7 unless there is a power outage so it's not a problem for me but there aren't a lot of people that do that.

Captain Code said:
To me this is a bug.

This is what I'm starting to think too. 700 MB of crash logs? It seems excessive no matter how you are using your system.

Of the people who are seeing this, what version of Mac OS X are you guys running?

Wow, what do you guys have running/crashing that's taking up that much space in the Crashreporter?? My dir is under 100KB, and I have files in there that were last touched in August (most recently yesterday...)

Edit: I suppose the better question is: What apps have crash logs that are so large? What's in the logs? Or is it some other data? I'm having a tough time believing that my system will generate 250MB of data in this dir if I let it "sleep" at the wrong times (I do use sleep a lot, at least on one system)...

Back