The MacBook is out

Is it just me or on the US site is there a $150 premium for a black macbook?? What a rort. They'll be charging more for black iPods soon.

I would rather have a white one anyway - thats what made iBooks unique, they werent dull black boxes like everyone else!! Although the black MacBooks do look shiney.

Yogi Bear said:
Is it just me or on the US site is there a $150 premium for a black macbook?? What a rort. They'll be charging more for black iPods soon.

I would rather have a white one anyway - thats what made iBooks unique, they werent dull black boxes like everyone else!! Although the black MacBooks do look shiney.

I agree with Yogi Bear! How crazy is it to charge (or pay) $150 more for the same laptop, in a different color?

FYI: The black MacBook is $1499, and the comparable white MacBook is $1299. However, there is a difference in the hdd size. When you account for this difference by upgrading the drive of the white MacBook, then the difference becomes $150.

Overall, I think that the white models are pretty competitively priced, considering all of the features. However, some people, like me, would prefer to pay less and not have a built-in camera.

It's a lot cheaper then sending it into colorware and having them charge $400 bucks to paint your ibook/macbook black and have it send back to you. My friend had his ipod done for like $100 bucks and it's already flaking. Plus with Apple you get a bump in the HD. Love the new keyboard hope its not like my atari 400. I wish the magsafe plug would also be black, cause that would just be stupid with a slick black ibook and this white tail hanging out.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/apple_services.aspx

mi5moav said:
It's a lot cheaper then sending it into colorware and having them charge $400 bucks to paint your ibook/macbook black and have it send back to you. My friend had his ipod done for like $100 bucks and it's already flaking. Plus with Apple you get a bump in the HD. Love the new keyboard hope its not like my atari 400. I wish the magsafe plug would also be black, cause that would just be stupid with a slick black ibook and this white tail hanging out.

Yes, the black MacBook does come with an extra 20GB of hdd space; however, the white ibook can be upgraded to the same hdd space for $50, making the price difference between the two $150, or 11%.

If you buy a car that comes in Black and White, you shouldn't expect to have to pay 11% extra to get it in Black.

I mean, if you want to pay $150 extra for a black notebook, feel free to. I plan on ordering mine in white.

I can tell you never bought a car new. The different colors do have different prices. Metallic and pearl costs more, sometimes glossy of matte costs more. (And it usually is in the $500 dollar range for the difference.)

lurk said:
I can tell you never bought a car new. The different colors do have different prices. Metallic and pearl costs more, sometimes glossy of matte costs more. (And it usually is in the $500 dollar range for the difference.)

I bought a new car in 2002. All of the colors were the same price, except for the metallics, which were a few hundred more. I can tell you that the black, green, blue, red, and white models all cost the same amount of money. Only the silver cost more, because it was metallic.

The average price for a new car in the U.S. is somewhere around $28,000. $500 for a paint upgrade is less than 2% of the cost of the car.

Like, I said, its up to the buyer if they want to spend the extra money for a black laptop. Personally, I do not like the look of a black laptop, and I'm not sure that I would spend an extra $150 for a purely cosmetic feature, even if I did prefer black. I'd rather keep the extra $150 or spend it on something that is useful, such as: external hdd, external DVD burner, protective case, or apply it towards Apple Care.

mi5moav said:

years ago there was a neighborhood cat like that. needless to say, his stealth ability was greatly reduced ;) lol

Apple truly doesn't get that if the hardware's in black, they should also deliver the power connector and power brick in black - as well as the remote, of course. That's yet another reason _not_ to pay the surplus of 150 USD for the black version.

But the entry-level version will do just fine for me, anyway. This is what I've been basically waiting for ever since I sold my last 12" iBook. I _need_ the resolution of my 15" PB, and the new MacBook (almost, 54 vertical pixels missing...) has it - in a lighter package. I *HOPE* the keyboard works. I loved Apple's notebook keyboards forever, so I truly hope they didn't f*** up this one. They _state_ that tapping a key needs a little more power with this one, and I fear that could be a deal-breaker for me. At 150+ keys/minute, any slowdown can be veeeeery annoying for a writer.

too bad it has integrated graphics, i wonder if the integrated graphics are fast enough to play doom 3 or quake 4? Looks really sharp tho, and im glad they have an intel core duo on the low end model. I'd get one if i had the money.

I actually wish they'd offer me a single core version for 100 or 200 dollars less. ;)

According to the specs page.

512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two SO-DIMMs, supports up to 2GB

Does that mean I'd need two 512mb sticks to get it up to 1 gig? Not too cool.

Its not really that bad to be using 2 sticks of memory. You get better performace from paired DDR memory. The downside is that you need to buy 2 sticks of memory when you want to upgrade.

Joshua

Dammit... Pretty sweet except other than the processor it's not a whole lot better than my Acer. Well it is, but I really was hoping they'd go bigger than the intel GMA950...

That is a damn good deal though, good luck getting a laptop from dell with specs like that for the same price. The closest they get is the 710m and it's got a Pentium M!

Cmon people, its a very competitive computer at that price... i also regreat they put a GMA950 inside... steve jobs, he just cannot see me happy... mi actual ibook has a better graphic card than that!!
Does anyboyd knows if the mini dvi port es exactly the same of the ibook g4, so i can use my mini-dvi to vga cable?

yeap... think you are right... if a buy a new macbook ill have to buy no cables...
We are the built in speakers of macbook?? ive benn looking around, but i dont seem to find them...

13.3-inch (diagonal) TFT glossy widescreen display

Please no, I know these screens from the Sony Vaio line - my colleague calls them "computer with integrated rear-view mirror". If the ceeling illumination is at a certain degree or if it is to bright you can't see anything (besides your reflection - great for shaving BTW, but I don't think most people want to buy a 1200$ mirror)

Integrated graphics:

I absolutely hate the fact that Apple uses the Intel graphic chips - when the switch to Intel was announced I prayed - "Please don't be be cheap and use the Intel integrated graphics line." I believe I am wrong - or someone above hates me... I am sure you can do lots of things with the Macbook - but honestly any demanding game after 2002 - 2003 is out of question. The worst thing is the lack of dedicated video RAM. So, you have to sacrifice precious RAM for video functions - I believe its barely enough for accelerated core video/graphic (two reasons why it isn't advertised on the Macbook HW page).

Back