The noob party mix

Blank

Registered
Hi there,

I'm quite new to osx, running 10.5.4 now.

I'm trying to set some permanent alias in the terminal and I'm not able to find the config files that I have to edit to do so.

Maybe I'm missing something major in the osx achitecture.

In fact I'm searching a place where osx stores his config stuff and ect.

thx

-Jp

I think we need some more information or clarification...

Can you explain what you think you mean by 'permanent alias'?

An alias is very easy to create, and does not need any time in the terminal.
You can create an alias of any file or folder, by simply selecting that item in the finder, and choosing 'Make Alias' from the File menu, or from the right-click menu.
Or, do you mean 'Symbolic link', which does involve the terminal?

Here's a short document that compares aliases and Symbolic links
http://kb.iu.edu/data/achy.html

What I want I making some alias created in the terminal like if I type ff in the terminal it launches firefox, if I press gd it opens a mapped drive ect. I'm able to do this but when I close the terminal I have to redo all alias cause the terminal does not remember it.

I readed on some websites that I can edit a file ( ~/.bash_profile ) to add these alias to the terminal but I'm stuck there cause I cannot find this file. when I trying to reach it via the terminal it's telling me that it does not exist.

I also want to copy that file to all the machines I have to manage, that way I will have all my terminal command everywhere.

I hope i'm a bit clearer

thx for the fast reply and for the link

-Jp

If you're using the bash shell, simply edit the .bash_profile file in your home directory and add a line something like:

Code:
alias ff='open /Applications/Firefox.app'

You'll have to log out of your current Terminal session and open a new one, or simply type:

Code:
source .bash_profile

while the current working directory is your home folder.

If the .bash_profile file doesn't exist in your home folder, simply create it.

Back