The reason for the 10.5.7 non-release

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Well I have been in touch with some old college friends and they have info (because of certain jobs -I don't want to get her fired) say 10.5.7 will have code it it to make it the last major update before Snow Leopard. They are holding 10.5.7 back until late May because they(Apple) are afraid that code in the update will give people clues on what is in Snow Leopard. This is why 10.5.7 has not been released yet, so wait until late May before it is released.

Well it is late Friday May 8th 2009 and no update. I still believe it will be released the week of May 18th to May 22nd. I hear that the delay now is Safari 4 Beta problems.

Does that mean Snow Leopard is expected soon-ish? I haven't heard a timeframe since in a while, and the last one I did hear is long past.

I'm getting tired of not buying a new computer until I know more about Snow Leopard. :p Not that my 4-year-old Mac Mini doesn't still do its job, but increasingly bloated software (I'm lookin' at you, Xcode 3!) is dragging me down a bit.

The Worldwide Developers Conference is in June. I think they usually announce details of a new OS a while before they actually release it. So maybe they'll preview Snow Leopard at WWDC and set a release date for a couple months later.

Or maybe they'll spring it on us. If Snow Leopard really is primarily under-the-hood changes (i.e., not ooh-and-aah-worthy to the mainstream), it would make sense not to hype it as much as past releases.

Still, WWDC wouldn't seem like the place for it. Maybe it'll just be a random Tuesday.

I believe 10.6 will be discussed along with iPhone 3.0 and a new iPhone at WWDC. Snow Leopard most likely be released early fall.

The first preview of 10.6 was last summer at WWDC. They gave out pre-release copies of an early build and have been seeding it to ADC members for a while. I'm guessing it'll be complete by WWDC this year which is June 8-12.

They are holding 10.5.7 back until late May because they(Apple) are afraid that code in the update will give people clues on what is in Snow Leopard. This is why 10.5.7 has not been released yet, so wait until late May before it is released.
Well, apparently we were both wrong... heh...

Yes, the Combi's available here too now. I'll use that for updating the other machine.

Last edited:
I also noticed in the 10.5.7 update that they changed the Energy Saver icon in System Preferences to a fluorescent lightbulb instead of an incandescent.

The biggest difference that I've noticed so far with 10.5.7 is that running Disk Utility/Repair Permissions is drastically faster! In fact, it takes just a few seconds!

Is it the same for others?

Nope not for me, it takes the same amount of time as before. I guess it depends on how big your hard drive is and how many problems there are.

EDIT: The actually repairing was quite quick (around a 1-2 minutes), but the reading of the database was as slow as usual.

I also noticed in the 10.5.7 update that they changed the Energy Saver icon in System Preferences to a fluorescent lightbulb instead of an incandescent.

Yep i noticed this also. However I had to use the Combo Update to get the fluorescent light bulb to change on my new Mac Pro, the Delta Update didn't change the icon and I suspect it happened this way because this new Mac Pro came with 10.5.x already on it.

Back