The reason for the 10.5.7 non-release

Yep -- older Mac computers (including all PowerPC-based Macs) showed an incandescent bulb for the Energy Saver icon, even through 10.5.6 (at least all of mine did).

My MacBook (mid 2007) showed the fluorescent bulb icon when I first installed Leopard on it.

It seems that the icon is (er, was) partly based upon the Mac model and also partly based upon the system version -- or, perhaps, one or the other (or none in the Captain's case).

Just another data point.

I have an Intel-based 24-inch iMac that has been fully updated to OS X 10.5.7, and it still shows the incandescent (not the florescent) bulb.

I didn't use the combo updater for the latest update; I used Software Update. So that may be at least a partial explanation.

Well, I've installed it on a 1st Generation Mac Mini PowerPC, 2nd Generation MacBook Intel, and a 2nd Generation G5 PowerMac. They all have the fluorescent lightbulb, plus they were updated through Software Update.

Wow. How one small icon can be discussed so thoroughly. ;) Software Update brought the new icon to my iMac as well as my MacBook Air. Combo Updater did the same on all the computers I've used it on.

On the other discussion: All the hints I have point to a release of Mac OS X 10.6 _after_ WWDC, probably in early Autumn.

On the other discussion: All the hints I have point to a release of Mac OS X 10.6 _after_ WWDC, probably in early Autumn.

I suspect that would be correct. Apple has contracts with big purchasers not to abandon models for three years. The last G5 model that was marketed will fall outside the three year range after the summer is over. So, if one believes that OS X 10.6 will abandon PPC support, an Autumn release date makes a lot of sense.

I did notice one after updating on my G5. It seems after I updated to 10.5.7 that GarageBand becomes almost unresponsive, the window moves slowly when you drag it, songs won't even play and just nothing goes as normally. Yet while running it every other program works flawlessly. I have also thrown out the cache and preferences, the usual permission fixes and it still has problems.

Hey, I'm downloading the 10.5.7 update and the "Installing 1 item" progress bar has been frozen for more than an hour. I don't know if I should force-quit or what in this situation, any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind. I force quit, restarted and the update is complete apparently!

Last edited:
Meanwhile my DVD player stopped working after allowing the automatic update. :(

*Starts Looking for Combo-Update*

--J.D.

*Enjoys Brand New Replacement DVD Drive Which is MUCH Better and Stuff*

Though just for laughs, I ran permissions repair and it keeps coming up that a set of permissions "differ." Do not notice anything else.

--J.D.

Gerardo: I'd still reapply the combo updater, since this doesn't seem right. I'm not sure everything was completed correctly.

Back