The Register Follow up article

Originally posted by FrgMstr
What no comments, no clever come backs etc :D

This is highly unlike one of my threads:D

I haven't quite figured out why you post here to begin with. From what I can tell, based on the few of your posts that I have read, you are NOT in anyway a Mac user. So, why come to a Mac site and insight problems? I'm note sure where either of the Register's articles make any difference to you at all (or myself for that matter).

I think a response to this response would be far more interesting than any of the threads I've seen you start so far.

I will probably be getting a Mac next week, dont know which one though. Will wait and see what jobs shows us on Monday.

If you dont find any of my posts relevent to what you find interesting dont bother with them. Simple as that, we have had quite a few good conversation on here before.

Wow, what a change in attitude. Didn't you want a response? And as for good conversation, answering my question would be a great way to start one. You did want comments and clever come backs didn't you? :confused:

FrgMstr,

I'm glad you're going to get a mac. I think you'll be able to do *most* of your schoolwork on it. However, I'm thinking of getting VPC so that I can run windows apps too. For example, I was thinking the other night that if I was designing a entity relationship diagram (your homework assignment) I can't think of an OSX based tool I would use to help me.

In a nutshell, OSX can only do 90% of what I need. Windows can do it all but it's no fun. I don't want Windows, I use it all the time at work and it's just not fun to use.

As for this article, I don't really have any thoughts that I didn't publish in your first thread. He nitpicks at really minor stuff and seems unwilling to make tiny changes. (Also, what's his deal with the dock being unmovable? I put mine in the upper right corner and it's never in the way now.)

I think it would be fun to nitpick on the UI of his article. He only uses the middle third of the browser and that makes for a very narrow and long article that's incredibly hard to read. He's such a lazy SOB that he didn't bother to fix the formatting on emails that word wrapped improperly. What I get is stuff like this:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah .

He seperated his feedback into pro, netural, and anti but the seperaters are so visually insignifigant that I didn't realize that I have switched.

Sorry, the UI on his article is so lousy that I simply can't use it. I'm switching to slashdot until he gets his act cleaned up.

This hasnt been a change in attitude at all, ive always been like this.

Vanguard tell me about it, there are No CASE tools that i know of for the MAC. I.E SSADM, SEQSIM.

Originally posted by FrgMstr
This hasnt been a change in attitude at all, ive always been like this.

So you ask for people to engage you, but then you retreat once they do :confused: ? How do you have conversations with an attitude like that.

Not my fault you mis-understodd me from the beginning. Im not retreating, what would i be retreating over?

How have I misunderstood you?

Here, lets try this again, shall we.

Why have you come to a Mac site and tried to insight things and what difference did this (and the other) article make to you personally?

Seem straight forward to me.

(I posted this message in the other thread, too.)

Let me point something out.

The guy at The Register has many serious flaws in his "findings". Obviously, some people aren't well-versed in statistics.

1) A lot of those letters didn't say if they were really Mac users or not. How do you know they aren't PC users who are looking to the Mac, but decided to abandon it because of Aqua?

2) How do you know this is an accurate slice of the Mac users? For all we know, it could be that Mac users who read The Register are prominently OS 9 users, and not OS X users. It would be like coming to MacOSX.com, and taking a poll on whether the MacOS X was a good operating system -- obviously, because of the name of this site, most people here use OS X and would rate it well. It cannot be determined if the e-mails that this author received is an accurate slice of the Mac users, so his "statistics" are totally invalid. There can be no discussion on this point, because we need an accurate piece of the Mac users before we make any conclusions. Period.

3) This is a point that many might argue is wrong. But I wouldn't put it past this guy (since he obviously hates Aqua) at The Register to post most of the e-mails that hate Aqua, and then only include some of them that like Aqua, so that it appears he is correct. Because any e-mails go through HIS hands, he can manipulate the data any way he wants. So, again, we cannot draw any conclusions from the e-mails he got because of this possibility. Note that I am saying it is a possibility.

4) The author only received e-mails from people who are connected to the internet. The author only received e-mails from people who SAW the article. This introduces TREMENDOUS BIAS. Just this makes the statistic flawed.

So, no, you cannot say that most Mac users hate or have serious reservations about aqua.

Let me reiterate, and I will base this statement solely on point 2 and 4 above. The Register's portrayal of Mac users hating Aqua is a fundamentally flawed statistic, and therefore it should not, and cannot, be taken seriously. Even if 100% of the e-mails this author receives hate Aqua, it still cannot be said that most Mac users hate aqua.

If you want to find out a TRUE proportion of Mac users who hate aqua, you would need to: 1) Get a list of all Mac users. 2) Get a random number table or generator. 3) Use the random number generator to randomly pick a select few Mac users. 4) Call the randomly picked Mac users up, and ask them if their opinion of Aqua. Only THEN would this be an accurate statistic. But obviously, this isn't a feasible experiment. The closest you would get is to get a phone book for, say, Santa Clara county in California. Then use a random number generator to pick, say, 10000 people. Call them up. First ask if they are Mac users. If they are, then ask their opinion about Aqua. If they are not, then discard them from the study. You would have to do this region by region. If you want to get a true proportion of Mac users who hate Aqua in the US, you'd have to get a list of all the people in the US, and randomly select people that way (averaging the proportions of regions would not be a valid statistic because you have stratified, or grouped, via region).

Sorry, The Register. I do not believe you that most Mac users hate Aqua.

hi frgmstr, not to take anything away from you and yours, but i've been posting in the 'other thread' on this subject. seems we should all get together in one spot for this except you and racerx have been doing pretty good here.

simx does have a point, even if it is overstated. college freshmen can be like that so please be lenient:p

definitly a good time to be patient lookin for a mac. keep in mind that most people selling used macs aren't going to know mwsf from their neighbor's bar mitzvah so overall used prices wil not drop as rapidly as new prices. on the other hand there will be some folks in the know who will be anxious to unload their current gear to buy the latest!! hope you get something very close to your pc in terms of capabilities so you can make a fair evaluation once it's in your hands.

really, stop in the other thread for my say on this 2nd article.

2 threads, 2 shmeads. Who cares? :D

I know I overstated my point, but I wanted to get it across. ;)

It wasn't 2 posts in a row, it was 4 posts in a row, silly. :p

Stop making me look idiotic! :( (Naw, j/k. ;) )

simx, you will never look idiotic in my eyes. a bit overly enthusiastic maybe, but never idiotic. and i can think of a lot worse things to be than over enthusiastic. i hope you carry just half of it with you into middle age and beyond!!:)

despite what you imagine - your friend EdX (he he)

Racerx, OK let me spell this out for you.

I use this Forum because im thinking of getting a MAC.

I pointed out those articles because they were of relevence to.......... you guessed it OSX(This is an OSX forum isnt it?). I know they werent of the favourable kind like you like to see but hey thats life m8.

As I said earlier, the article was not of much interest to me. But there is a difference between pointing out an article and inviting negative response (of which I don't think you have ever gotten from me, m8). Less we forget, your second post in this thread was asking about responses of a type you seem to expect (and you did seem to expect them, now didn't you).

So why create a hostile atmosphere if all you are doing is considering get a Mac?

Of course, i was waiting for thoughts on the article, i was also expecting clever come backs as per the norm around here.

Not starting anything, M8.

I also used smillies in my second post, which to normal people would have said i was messing around. obviously you are unable to grasp the tone of my writing. Would you like me to use big words for you like (IM JOKING) instead.

Give it a rest, your points really are getting a bit old hat, i mean after explaining it to you more then once you still ask the same questions.

I point out the opinion of many many mac users to a MAC forum and im looking for trouble, LMAO.

Back