Tiger : accidentally moved the Mail folder

mgm_03

Registered
I intended to copy the Mail folder that contains my mailboxes and messages to another folder for backup. I want to re-install Tiger but can't afford to lose the emails. Instead of copying, I moved it and I want to move it back I forgot which folder it belongs in since it was a while ago.

Starting from /Library/Mail/

there's a folder : AccountTypes

Any advice is appreciated.

If the 'Mail' folder you moved, contains a folder titled 'AccountTypes' ...

01. Locate the folder currently containing the moved 'Mail' folder.

02. Seiect 'Finder's 'Go, Go to Folder...' menu item ('Command <shift> G'), and in the 'Go to Folder' drop down sheet or separate 'Go to Folder' window, that appears, enter ...

/Library

and click on the 'Go' button.

03. Move the 'Mail' folder to the newly opened folder window.

-----

If the 'Mail' folder you moved, contains folders (such as 'Bundles', 'Mailboxes', and 'Signatures') and files (such as 'MessageRules.plist' and 'SmartMailboxes.plist') then ...

01. Locate the folder currently containing the moved 'Mail' folder.

02. Seiect 'Finder's 'Go, Go to Folder...' menu item ('Command <shift> G'), and in the 'Go to Folder' drop down sheet or separate 'Go to Folder' window, that appears, enter ...

~/Library

and click on the 'Go' button.

03. Move the 'Mail' folder to the newly opened folder window.

ok...thanks. if i understand correctly then, my Mail folder containing mailboxes etc does not go into the Account Types folder. Does the ~ refer to root (hard drive) ?

The ~ sign means your 'Home" folder. In Unix based system each user on the computer will have their own ~ folder with all their own preferences and data.

Back