Tiger first impressions

yanges

MacHead
i went to the Northridge, CA store and it was really busy even @ 7:30 when i arrived....

somebody won the PowerBook before i got there :( oh well...

i tried out Tiger on a 1.6 G5 iMac and it was pretty slick....

really like the audio controls in DVD, Dashboard was fun and rippled effect looks cool :)

Spotlight works well and could probably replace Launchbar for me....

they had iChat running on a mini receiving 4 video channels too! pretty nice display!!

all in all, Tiger works very well and i can not wait till July when i get my new G5!!

hope there are some big surprises @ WWDC in June as i really hope the iMac gos to 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, better video card, larger hard drive and dual layer DVD!!

Think Secret was pretty right on about the G5 towers so let's hope they got the iMacs right too!!! :cool:

Spotlight doesn't seem all that good to me. it chucks out a few results very quickly, but then just acts like old panther search, but using more resources. is this just me?

Hi LMB, I have had Tiger running for about 10 hours and I have already had about 12 Spotlight success stories. After it did it's indexing thing (on my 6 drives - lots of video and images) I was able to find about 6 emails with app passwords, my latest resume (I keep updating them and store them everywhere), some picture files and every email I ever had with my wife. All of this was super quick and I am completely sold. Well, I do wish I could move the initial search field anywhere I want to...

In order ot appreciate Spotlight I think you need to try and find something where you don't know its name, type or if it even exists any more on your drive. Like my serial number for Vuescan, Photo to Movie or an email I sent my wife in 2002.

Yeah, but then WHY OH WHY did they NOT think about the case where I want to find the files called "script.pl" on my HD? It's as if in all that Spotlight hype they almost completely forgot about the most simple kind of search (and still the most important one to me). I _do_ remember a lot of files' names and there's really _no_ easy way in the Finder to find files by name. That really s*cks big time, I think, and I truly hope that they'll fix the Finder.

i was critical at the start (bad me) but i never realised that it was indexing my usb2 hdd.....

i LOVE tiger - i am extremely impressed with the memory management that seems to have been improved greatly.

im using a couple of mac minis to run my business and now things just run a whole lot smoother with many intensive apps such as Dreamweaver et all open at the same time.

Anyone else want to praise it on this thread?

Howabout using one of the other hundreds of threads dedicated to praising Tiger instead of starting a brand-new, non-unique, redundant thread?

Yes, I like Tiger.

He was reading the bloody sticky threads about not creating new threads that aren't necessary, 123.

fryke said:
Yeah. Thanks, ElDiablo. Merging now.

this is the first forum i have been in in a while that gets so many criticisms of thread titles, unecessary titles, answer in the original thread etc....

the thread i started on 'no stuffit Expander in Tiger' was cause the thread i saw the remark in had nothing to do with that and would probably not get seen....

and how about leaving your thread:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52040

open for comments instead of closing it so no one can respond?

It's a thread that's supposed to be a sign to others. See: There have been like 3 pages of new threads in the past two days. About lot of those were either about a problem that a short look at the FAQ would have solved or that a search of this forum would have solved. At the same time, we've had people ask questions, get no answer (possibly because the thread was already on page 2 by the time people who could've answered it came around to look for new posts/threads).

There's been a LOT of activity. A lot of _good_ activity, too. But after some time, it just looked like a storm had passed over this very Tiger forum. And how to find the important questions and answer them, if you can't even tell what the threads are about because most threads' titles read something like "Here's another one" or "Tiger question" or "I've got it!"... And: Although that thread you mentioned is closed for answers, anyone can freely answer me in other threads (you see, I answer you) or use the private messaging function.

fryke said:
Yeah, but then WHY OH WHY did they NOT think about the case where I want to find the files called "script.pl" on my HD? It's as if in all that Spotlight hype they almost completely forgot about the most simple kind of search (and still the most important one to me). I _do_ remember a lot of files' names and there's really _no_ easy way in the Finder to find files by name. That really s*cks big time, I think, and I truly hope that they'll fix the Finder.

i am not sure what you mean by not being able to find script.pl files with Spotlight?

i did a search for .jpg with Spotlight over at the apple store [i do not have my new computer w/ tiger yet] and it found over 1800 files [which i assume was all of them]

it shows a few, or you can click 'show all' and it gives a nice breakdown of all .jpg files by location...

have you tried looking that way? i would think the script.pl or maybe looking for .pl the files would show up...

I guess the problem for me really shows when the name is a word that also comes up a lot in the contents of other files. *I* think that the name should make a file the top spotlight hit. Or at least it should somehow let me search for the name only. What do I need "something.pdf" for, when *I* know I'm looking for a file called script.pl? Sure, the PDF might contain a reference to it, but the OS should most definitely let me search by name. It does not right now. Still *grrrr*. ;)

fryke said:
I guess the problem for me really shows when the name is a word that also comes up a lot in the contents of other files. *I* think that the name should make a file the top spotlight hit. Or at least it should somehow let me search for the name only. What do I need "something.pdf" for, when *I* know I'm looking for a file called script.pl? Sure, the PDF might contain a reference to it, but the OS should most definitely let me search by name. It does not right now. Still *grrrr*. ;)

well, my thought is if you search for .pl and do a 'show all results', it may at least show the .pl files grouped together by location which would make it a little easier to find what you need....maybe... :confused:

Well, I know that I can still find them. I just criticize how Apple removed a simple option to search my computer by filename. Finding by content is nice, funny, great - whatever you want. No reason to take away find-by-name as the default or even a secondary option.

fryke said:
Well, I know that I can still find them. I just criticize how Apple removed a simple option to search my computer by filename. Finding by content is nice, funny, great - whatever you want. No reason to take away find-by-name as the default or even a secondary option.

ah, i understand now Fryke!

i did not realize that what you were saying about the search by filename being gone with Tiger....that would be nice to have for searches like that without all the extraneous stuff you get in the Spotlight search...

maybe enough feedback to Apple will bring that back....

Not to bring the subject back, but I have noticed something good but weird. Spotlight indexed my Rev A. Dual 1.8 G5 so fast I didn't even notice it. Plus it grabs everything from the two internal hard disk so I have to restrict it not to see double. I must be lucky.

I love it. Fast, sleek, love Dashboard and Spotlight, Safari is actually usable now, and Automator is great. I love it. So worth it.

Back