Tiger Preview - no new bar?

TommyWillB said:
Isn't publishing this info on the Internet a good way to get him fired?

23 year career... Easy come... Easy go!Not looking too likely...

sorry to have you worried, I just posted that because someone didn't believe that I got it from my uncle. if hes worked there for 23 years I don't really think apple will care about him giving me a sub-par preview of an OS that won't be released for another year. for your sake, since you seem so worried and can't stay on topic about what's the tiger preview like and why the menu bar and other features steve demo'ed weren't in there, I'll remove it just for you. and btw, If you would have read you would have realized I posted earlier about how I went back to panther, I don't even have the tiger preview anymore. :)

jonmichael23 said:
...since you seem so worried and can't stay on topic about what's the tiger preview like...If you would have read you would have realized...
Really?!?! Your scolding me??? ...for trying to point out how risky it is to post info like that on the Internet?

If you've read any number of my posts, you'd quickly see that I'm not the type of person to say something like this lightly.

Sheesh... Sorry, Mr. 85th post, for being off-topic.

Seems like. Yet, I have to urge you to stay on topic. ;-) ... But let's grab this chance and talk about some dos and don'ts regarding Tiger Preview/Beta information...

The Apple News, Rumours & Discussion forum on macosx.com is interested in information regarding early (and later) builds of Tiger. Screenshots, reviews - bring them on. What we don't want is talk about where and how to get those builds, as we all _KNOW_ that there are three ways to get them: Either through WWDC attendance (which is over now), an ADC Select or an ADC Premier account, and they _do_ cost money. Everything else regarding the acquisition of Tiger builds is unwanted here on macosx.com - and it's quite likely illegal, anyway.

About the lack of news, rumours and discussion in the world of Macs: This'll change soon enough. MacWorld 2004 is, of course, a bit low-key, since Apple doesn't participate and is unlikely to reveal something important, but there are still rumoured introductions. (See other threads, rumour sites etc.) And Apple is quite likely to seed new Tiger builds soon, also.

okej, kind of on topic:
this is for you kids who got tiger, did apple in some way in the documentation or during wwdc hint when the next preview would arrive?

The build shown at WWDC by Jobs was newer than the build that developers received. Since it takes at least 10-14 days to press the DVDs, the WWDC build shown off was probably at least 2 weeks newer. Other things that were different from the build Jobs demoed... Automator is called "Pipeline" in the developer build, and features none of the Automator branding, instead using a domino as it's icon.

Many of the cool widgets Apple demoed for Dashboard are not present, either.

This isn't surprising since the main thing Apple wanted to get in developers hands was the underlying technology that will power 10.4 - Core Image, Core Video, Dashboard, etc. It's important that developers have access to these items well in advance so they can take advantage of them by the time Tiger ships next year.

I started playing around with the Tiger preview yesterday.

For the most part things seemed "ho-hum", not much difference. Dashboard is mildly interesting, Automator is probably really nice if I ever figure out when I'd need it, and I still don't have anyone I can use iChat AV with, let alone iChat 3.0 =) The new search stuff IS a pretty big deal to me though, some really nice innovations there that would change the way I use the machine. And the release is still 9 (give or take) months out, so who knows what will be added/changed.

However...

My #1 biggest pain point seems to be fixed. SMB networking! The browser interface still sucks, but it seems to work. And...get this... Clicking on the "Add username/password to keychain" button not only adds username/password to the keychain, but...it actually works! No more typing in domain/user/password every...single...time...I connect to a machine!

Also, Safari RSS is nice (buggy, scroll wheel doesn't seem to work with it at the moment). And the biggest problem I had with Safari before, online banking with Wachovia, is fixed as well! Even better than in Mozilla (which works overall with a few big bugs).

Several other little quirks I didn't like about Finder, mail, etc seem to have gone away, which is good.

Let's hope the momentum keeps going during the rest of the development cycle. Because of some very specific problems I still have with Panther I know I'll be upgrading, though so far Tiger definitely doesn't seem to be anywhere near the "must-have" upgrade for the general public that 10.1, 10.2, or even 10.3 were over the previous versions...

I will wait patiently for the for-sale release, but I tell you, Spotlight looks really cool. I mean, is the day almost here where I can simply dump all my files in my HD and never waste a minute organizing folders and sub folders again? If so, how will I and others handle our anal retentive tendancies to clean up and organize something that really doesn't need to be cleaned up and organized? :) Ripcord is right - this could be a whole new way of life!

I guess it'll end up as 'both ways'... You'll still want to organise some things. For me, Spotlight is mainly going to be a thing for all the 'dump-stuff'. I've got a 'Stuff' folder on my desktop as well as a 'current work' stuff, which contains all the things I'm working on that doesn't belong to one of my official projects and/or customers. But I still want to be able to burn a DVD containing all the files that belong to a project and/or customer, and Spotlight won't cut it there initially, since many of the files don't have metadata that make them belong to a project/customer automagically...

Search technology will never cure my persistence to be ordered. I'm the kind of person who wants to see Apple introduce Window-lining-up guides like in Interface Builder that align and separate windows by even amounts. I also want the shadows of two inactive windows that touch not to overlap the other windows - that upsets my anal retention :p.

Has Tiger added any way to move files in the Finder without using drag & drop? My PowerBook is my primary work computer but I really miss having the Cut function for files that Windows (or any Linux GUI) has. It seems like such a simple addition and I mentioned it in the OS X feedback about 20 times I think. Keyboard shortcuts are always faster than drag & drop.

You can use Command-C and Command-V to copy and paste files just as you would in Windows in Panther.

Cut doesn't seem to work, though.

fryke said:
I guess it'll end up as 'both ways'... You'll still want to organise some things. For me, Spotlight is mainly going to be a thing for all the 'dump-stuff'. I've got a 'Stuff' folder on my desktop as well as a 'current work' stuff, which contains all the things I'm working on that doesn't belong to one of my official projects and/or customers....

I have a few of those too! I didn't even think of that - my "Things to file" folder alias is on my desktop and it is HUGE and I rarely find time to go through it. Of course, there will be plenty of organizing chores for those who want them, but it is nice to know we won't be limited with our filing or lack thereof!

karavite said:
I mean, is the day almost here where I can simply dump all my files in my HD and never waste a minute organizing folders and sub folders again?

I think the Spotlight stuff is definitely going to be a big deal, especially for people who are willing to change their organizational habits or to spend a little bit of time exploring how well this will work for them. As Fryke said, it probably won't mean you won't want to organize at ALL, but I think users are going to be able to forget, for the most part, about how things are actually structured on disk, like in iPhoto and iTunes.

I'd definitely be surprised if this is what MS has in mind for their little WinFS thing, though now that they're getting a taste of what Apple's doing, well, they DO still have a couple of years to go before Longhorn.

One thing that disappointed me just a tad is that the "search-in-file" capabilities definitely aren't as all-encompassing as I'd thought. There's definitely a limited set of file-formats that it will work with (10 listed in the initial docs), and for more formats to be supported, supposedly someone (Apple, most likely?) will need to extend Spotlight.

This worries me a little, because Apple hasn't had a great track-record of a lot of these things. iSync and mobile devices jumps out at me - I *still* can't completely take advantage of my Nokia 3650 phone (or the majority of Series 60 phones) nearly a year after I bought it, and I'm completely at Apple's mercy for updates and support. Same thing for iPhoto and camera support, though I haven't personally had any problems in that area yet. I suppose if I was seeing, say, monthly updates from Apple providing new/updated device support (come on, Nokia 6600 support is extremely simple thing versus other Series 60 phones!) I guess I'd feel a bit more comfortable, but I'm not.

I think I will be able to use Spotlight and change some of my organizing habits. I'm thinking of iPhoto and how it really bothered me at first to let it take care of creating it's own filing system with all my pictures (iTunes too), but I let myself go and it is a big help.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You can use Command-C and Command-V to copy and paste files just as you would in Windows in Panther.

Cut doesn't seem to work, though.

Bah, Apple needs a simple way to move files. Drag & drop just doesn't cut it when a simple 1) select all files to move 2) Edit > Cut 3) Edit > Paste where you want it works so much faster and is less prone to dropping somewhere by accident. It's also much faster when you want to move a file to it's parent directory.

Back