Tiger Updates for Panther?

mw84

Registered
Hey as I'm so new to macs I wasnt around when the last major OS release came out. I wondered, with the new release (tiger) theres a lot of software updates ie safari 2 will these be released seperately making them free for mac users to download like normal software updates or will I need to purchase Tiger, which I probably will anyway. Sorry if this seems like s stupid question.

Safari 2 will not be available for anything but Tiger. When Tiger rolls out, Apple will also release a stripped down version of Safari 2.0, which will be Safari 1.3 and it will be for Panther and under.

Thanks, how about other apps though such as mail etc? is there a list somewhere I can see what will/ wont be available without upgrading to tiger?

Everything that is integrated into Tiger probably won't be available for anything less than Tiger. Apple kept the "Safari 1.3" and "Safari 2.0" names one version number different to indicate that the Safari version for use with Panther isn't the same as the one for use with Tiger.

Apple may release Safari 2 for Panther, but I don't think they're going to release anything that isn't already downloadable separately (iTunes, Safari maybe, XCode). My bet is that Mail, Address Book, Backup, DVD Player, Font Book, Preview, Sherlock, TextEdit and the like that may be updated in Tiger will not be available to Panther users. Apple may release updates to both Panther and Tiger versions simultaneously for a while, but will eventually stop updating (some years from now) applications for Panther.

I don't know about you, but just looking at the new "Tiger-style" Apple website makes me want Tiger so bad I'll skip eating for a day if that'll save me enough money! ;)

And make sure to post Tiger questions to the Tiger forums as long as it's there. ;)

I just bought the new powerbook, not more than 3 weeks ago. I was kinda assuming that apple would allow me to upgrade to tiger at a reduced price, but it seems they set the cut off date to be april 12th. there's a big difference paying 129 vs. 10 bucks for the upgrade. Do you know if apple will be nice for people like me who bought a new mac a month ago? freakin a.. i spent over 2400, i shouldn't have to pay another 130 for an os upgrade, even if it is tiger.

Yes. You were "kinda assuming", but it's been very clear that Apple doesn't do the timewarp here. They announce it and _then_ you can get a cheaper upgrade. You can try and whine to your local Mac dealer (unless you bought from Apple online...), but it probably won't do anything good.

Never assume.

aber421 said:
I just bought the new powerbook, not more than 3 weeks ago. I was kinda assuming that apple would allow me to upgrade to tiger at a reduced price, but it seems they set the cut off date to be april 12th. there's a big difference paying 129 vs. 10 bucks for the upgrade. Do you know if apple will be nice for people like me who bought a new mac a month ago? freakin a.. i spent over 2400, i shouldn't have to pay another 130 for an os upgrade, even if it is tiger.

This very same situation happened to me when I purchased my PB. I was about 3 weeks off from their cutoff date, and was annoyed that I had to pay full price.

I applied for the reduced rate online anyway, entered my serial # and fudged the date. It worked. 3 factory fresh CD's were in my mailbox a few days later for the reasonable upgrade price. However Disk 1 was simply and updater and not a regular installer. This meant I still had to use my jaguar DVD first everytime i wanted to do a fresh install.

Apple sells lots of Macs through resellers, and it is my guess that they have no real way of knowing when you actually took delivery of your mac. The purchase date they see very well may be the date the reseller received it. So I figure the important thing is the serial number. If you have a mac that has a serial number eligible for the tiger upgrade, meaning a new mac from the newly released product line, then I think it will work regardless of your actual purchase date. Just enter a date within their time constraints and see what happens.

Yes, I obviously am a man of questionable moral turpitude; don't mention it.

Then we won't mention it. ;) ... To me this seems like basically 'tricking' Apple. And from a Karma standpoint, it isn't much better than pirating the OS directly...

My point of vue is that Apple's "upgrade don't exist" policy is daylight robery, based on it's users profound stupidity.

I got a Mac Mini two month ago. Tiger means: buying the OS new, plus buying Quicktime Pro new (no upgrade there either), not to mention the question what software/filters and so on will have to be updraded and at what cost.
There will definitely need to be more than the "Tiger look of the Apple website" to make me PAY them for an upgrade.

If all the users would NOT buy new when they just did that a few month ago, Apple would have to reconsider their policy.

But if the users are stupid... I'm glad I don't use that OS on my main system.

I don't understand why you would expect to just be handed the upgrade for free.

Seems like you would have known that a Tiger release was imminent when you bought your Mac Mini two months ago...

I never said "for free". The most common way is to upgrade "last minute" buyers for free, and recent buyers get a discount. The Apple way is that those who buy early will be those who get to pay again. You may wait until Apple annouces 10.5 (whatever it will be named) to get the upgrade for free - then you'll pay full price for 10.6
Most companies would loose their customers that way. Mac users are happy to pay. Lucky Apple.

...but your reasoning is that you should get a free/discounted upgrade to something that you've owned for almost 3 months already (by the time Tiger hits the shelves)... I could understand a month or so, but 3 months is a bit of a stretch.

Not to mention that Apple's full-price for their OSs beats most companies' upgrade price for their OSs.

Besides, you were happy with your mini running Panther, right? With the release of Tiger, is there some switch that flipped that made you unhappy with your mini running Panther, or are you just complaining because it's not the latest-and-greatest anymore? It's not like your mini has lost any functionality -- you can still run pretty much all the same software that Tiger can run, with the exceptions of the new OS features, which is understandable -- time doesn't stand still, and "new" purchases don't remain new for very long in this field. It's the same for cars, TVs, homes, and just about any other consumer product.

Yeah but, I mean, WAAAAAAH! (Yes, the iWhiners are back in town. It's the same thing EVERY bl**dy time Apple charges 129$ for a system upgrade. So let's sum it up again for all the iWhiners: It's more than a "Service Pack". It costs 129$. You can stay on the 'old' system if you want and upgrade at ANY time you want. In probably about 2 years from now, there will be Mac OS X 10.5. And YES that will cost 129$. And that *IS* an upgrade price, since there's no Mac _without_ a version of Mac OS.)

prices for a windows xp pro upgrade? that's its (ha!) nearest rival, isn't it? amazon are saying $239. thats $110 more than apple are letting you have their full, new OS that's apparently, better than longhorn.

*bitchslap!! stfu. just be happy. i bought my g5 in november. should i bitching as well? i mean, i've only had it 5 months. IV"E BEEN RIPPED OF!!!! LOLZ!1!!!! it's the price of a couple of nights out, dude. it's worth it.

It could be worse, just imagine if you brought a Mac just about now, or closer to the release date of Tiger, and when you booted it, it was in Panther...

That would suck.

...and that's likely what would happen, as systems pre-loaded with Tiger probably won't be available until after the actual release of Tiger.

When Apple releases Tiger on the 29th, they most definitely make sure that no one gets it before that date -- not even new system buyers.

Apple is extremely fair with their upgrade plan. I don't know of any software or hardware company that offers free or minimal-cost upgrades (not to be confused with updates) to software purchased three months prior, especially for something purchased before the new product was even announced.

Back