Time Machine / Capsule Crashing MacBook Pro

Harvey

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm living with a new Time Capusle.

We have 2 computers in the house, a Macbook and my Macbook pro.

We set up the time machine and got the Macbook on it first.

Things are going fine. Only one question, is there anyway to adjust the frequency that Time Machine takes backups? It seems to do it every 10 or 15 minutes, and while the backups are small, the short interval is annoying.

When I tried to get my Macbook Pro on the Time Machine, I got a network connection error during the first backup. The backup quit, now in Time Machine I see that the last backup attempt failed. The info says that there was a time machine error, and it was caused by a network problem. It's possible that the connection between the computer and the backup volume were disconnected.

When I try to run a new backup, it gives me the 'preparing' bit forever, but nothing ever happens.

It seems to connect to the Time Machine though because it tells me the drive space available on the disk in the Time Machine window.

Any help on this would be appreciated! Time Machine is giving my comp trouble...

- Harvey

Hello everyone,

I'm living with a new Time Capusle.

Congratulations because I love mine even though it sometimes misbehaves.

Only one question, is there anyway to adjust the frequency that Time Machine takes backups? It seems to do it every 10 or 15 minutes, and while the backups are small, the short interval is annoying.

This is really two questions. :eek:

Now what i do to fix my Time Machine is to first launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and do the Repair function on my sparesimage on my Time Machine (I use Time Capsule). This fixes my problem.

The second part of your quandary you need something like TimeMachineEditor.

Have fun.

Last night I let the Time Machine attempt to do its thing again, and this morning I got a message that it was unable to mount the backup device.

Currently when I launch disk utility, the Time Capsule doesn't show up as a drive to repair. I don't see it on the other computer as well. Is there something I need to do once I enter Disk Utility to get it to show up?

Thanks for the Time Machine Editor! Looks great!

Thanks for any help!

Are you doing your initial backup to Time Machine from each computer over a WIRED connection? The instruction manual should say that it is highly recommended (read: required) to do the initial backup while connected to the Time Capsule over a wired connection -- then, subsequent backups can be done over wireless.

The wording of your postings led me to believe that you were trying to do the initial backup over a wireless connection, which, depending on the amount of data you have, could take days... we're talking two to seven days... over wireless.

ElDiablo,

Yup, doing it over wireless connection. We got the MacBook to complete in 2 days, but my Macbook Pro now won't even get started.

Maybe I should find a cable and give it a shot. I actually don't have an extra cable lying around which is why I attempted it over wireless.

I'm wondering if it would make a difference though? Other than cutting down on the time required for the backup to complete.

- Harvey

I got my hands on a cable. I want to start this from scratch. How do I erase all the settings on my time machine and all time machine related settings on my mac? Thanks for any help. I'll take this from square 1.

You can press the reset button on the back for 5 sec... and start fresh or go to airport Utility and select the TimeCapsule drive and click erase.

All of this is in the manual. That little things that came with it... give it a shot!

It even says you should do your FIRST backup over wired... did you skip to the end to see how the story would work out? Or did you not read it at all?

I actually read it, and disregarded most of it as just a warning. Mac has been too good to me thus far. I've never really had to follow one of their manuals. I'm spoiled.

I've reset stuff and backed up one computer over the wire now, and the second one is getting its initial wire-enable backup as we speak.

We'll see if subsequent wireless backups go well once this is done.

- Harvey

Back