titanium pb flashing lights

johnvillari

Registered
my titanium 866mhz G4 keeps freezing on me and sometimes it wont turn on just flashes the light and beeps 3 times I know this isnt good but it has been so long since i have had a problem with a mac i forgot how to fix it can someone help??? i also reformatted it several times to no avail --

Three beeps means that no RAM banks passed memory testing. You can try reseating your memory. You can also try booting to the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your PowerBook.

so you think it is bad memory -- it is the chips that came with the book --- hmm --i will run the hardware test next -- thank you

I had this problem.Maybe i was lucky -i don't know- but try this
Unplug your computer-take out the battery-leave for 5 min-put your battery back in,then hit your power on button 1 time and not to long
It may seem nothing is happening-i gave up and went to make a coffe,came back to swear at the computer and it was starting???
Not the most tec advice, but worth a try

li_williams said:
Unplug your computer-take out the battery-leave for 5 min-put your battery back in,then hit your power on button 1 time and not to long
That is incorrect. The correct procedure is:

1) Take out battery and disconnect from wall power. Leave it for a few minutes like this.
2) Press the power button ONE time, for about 1/2 to 1 second.
3) Wait a few minutes.
4) Put battery back in, connect to wall power.
5) Power up as normal.

This resets the PMU (Power Management Unit) of the PowerBook.

Thanks ElDiabloConCaca !

You solved a mystery for me.
I knew it worked but didn't know why,also i was only going on memory for steps i took,almost 10 months ago.
I knew it wasn't the smell of coffee that woke my powerbook up at least;-)
I hope it solves Johnvillari's problem

as said above - check your RAM. Swap it with known working RAM and try that - if still the same you're logic board may have failed - if however swapping ram fixees it your RAM has failed.

Back