To Jaguar or not to Jaguar?

What do you think of Jaguar?

• GREAT! I already ordered it and I can't wait 'till it's shipped!

• Pretty good. Thinking about ordering soon.

• OK. Not sure about the price...

• NO WAY! That price is NOT worth the upgrade!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm definitely getting it. The student/education discount though is what makes it great. It's the first really significant discount as opposed to $100 off a really expensive TiBook.

Jaguar's $69 with the education discount. That's a steal for this great update.

Originally posted by caramelApple
Well, in reply to the question about where to get the edu price... just go to store.apple.com. On the top toolbar, you'll find educational. then you click on that and specify your school. Simple! You get a page full of coolie discounts.

Oh, cool! Thanks I hadn't seen that on their site.

I will definably order it at that price!!!

I'm am so glad everyone finds my posts useful.. (well most of them) and again i appreciate such responses to my thread! Well... as for me and Jaguar.. hmm... i AM fourteen and still i dunno if i have that money yet. Goin into high school costs a bit much ( im going to a private where they have PCs...*shudder*) with getting the text books and all. Wel, I hope i can get it with birthday money! I REEEEALY hope so. My dad also said he would maybe get us a new iMac (flatscreen) next year and I'll get it at udu price. So if they come out with anything new ill have it next year. Can't wait !!!

Much Love,

Rita

The Mac Geekette

if you're a student you must have a least one teacher. Have them order it, give them the cash and then give you the box.

It's probably a true story that happened to a friend of a friend of a friend of mine.

I'm in favour of getting Steve's copy. It's right there upon his desk. It's educational to use the teacher's copy as well :D :D :D

Well assuming there will be no special price less than my $64.50 price, I happily ordered it today. Can't wait.

Someone takes life too serious there, we wont mention names.. :rolleyes: Anyhow, it is has a lot of great features and the performance is much better than 10.1.5. Much more responsive.

Yeah... i really want it.. im just 25 dollars away from getting it! It has to be out of my own money because my dad just bought me 10.1 in April or May. So... ill ttyl!

Much Love

The Mac Geek ette

I would love to get Jaguar, too...

but CaramelApple (good name, btw), aren't your folks just a touch irked that they paid for 10.1.5 in April or May, & now, if not for your student status, would have had to pay full upgrade price?

I purchased a new iMac mid-May (gee, if I knew that a 17" flat-screen with improved video card was just around the corner, I would have waited!), and I have read some forums in other places where people are really peeved at the upgrade price.

I think it is fair, for those upgrading from OS 9. But I would like to have seen a sliding scale. People who purchased new Macs in the last 3 months should surely have a hugely-discounted price, as should people who purchased OS X in the last 6 months. People who purchased Macs in last 3 to 6 months should pay somewhat more, as should those who purchased OS X more than 6 months ago.

There is now a petition underway for people who want to protest Jaguar's cost. It is a shame that it is poorly worded, & that there are spelling & grammatical errors, but try to overlook that... Here it is: Jaguar petition

I agree totally! I think that people who have recently purchased a new Mac or upgrade should get a discount. I am buying the upgrade edu prcie so its a bit better. Another thing that kinda just shows my bad luck is that i just got an iPod in early June (5GB) for 399. now its 299! ahhh! geez... what bad luck i have...

Much Love,

Rita

The Mac Geekette

PS... Thanks for the complimaent on the name! :)

Originally posted by homer
This one's a no-brainer. Jaguar makes OS X primetime (and not 10.1, as Steve would have had us believe). Sure, 10.1 is usable on my bondi iMac, but this baby's definitely getting an upgrade. :cool:

I'm amazed how far they can take the original iMacs these days. 500MHz g4 isn't bad for an original imac! or add a g3 and firewire ... tough call, that one.

it's always a good idea to wait for the Macworld expos if you are going to buy something, because that way you can only benefit:

A) There may be a new version of something you want instead (i.e. the 17 inch iMac)
B) Prices of old models are reduced (what happened to you)
C) Nothing happens to the product you want and you can rest assured that whatever you buy right after the expo will likely not be updated/lowered in price for quite a while.

Just some advice for next time :) ...

That's a really good idea! Thanks! this is kinda going to make my shopping soooo much easier :)... how often does Macworld come around???

Much Love,

The Mac Geekette

i think thats what i am gonna call you from now on :D

if you don't have DSL or cable (whitch you probably do but anyways) if th schoo l your going to has a LAN (Local Area Network) you can take your computer there and DL all the Updates and mods and apps you need (thats what i do with my laptop anyways)

I'm going to upgrade... just waiting a bit for it to actually be released. I've been pretty happy with my current build of OSX, but I like the additions Apple has offered...

In fact I am doing some major backing up in preparation of the purchase. :cool:

I am confused! ARRRGH!!! Do you have to backup your files in order to install Mac OS Jaguar? will it really destroy your files or something? I am planning to get the student discount but i wanna make sure everything goes OK! I dotn want to have to rebuild everything... with Mac OS X.1 i was completely fine.. nothing bad happened i hope its the same way... and i also hope they dont come out with an upgrade so soon that recent upgraders cant get a discount for cause then ill reeeeally be pissed! Well... i hope evrything goes well.. ive finally raised the 70 dollars i need for Jaguar and i plan to order it within the next few days!i can only hope for the best...

well in even worse news i have a horrible cold.. i can barely speak and im getting on and off fevers so im freezing then im blazing hot... damn i hate this sick business....

well i hope everyones doing better than i am and i hope someone answers soon cause im cranky when im sick...:mad:

ahhh... forgive me im just a little irritated... well i gotta go down a glass of O.J.... see yall later!

The Sick as Hell Mac Geekette

you don't have to back up anything, it should tbe the same basic thing as the 10.1 upgrade.

-The healthy Mac Technophile

Back