To Jaguar or not to Jaguar?

What do you think of Jaguar?

• GREAT! I already ordered it and I can't wait 'till it's shipped!

• Pretty good. Thinking about ordering soon.

• OK. Not sure about the price...

• NO WAY! That price is NOT worth the upgrade!

Results are only viewable after voting.
As someone who has been "lucky" enough to use 10.2GM for real, there are speed gains on some aspects of the OS ie startup etc, but that's as far as it goes, menu still seem, system prefs take forever to lag and don't expect your programmes to perform anything near the way they did (and still do!) in OS9.

In fact due to the fact that the cpu is used more by the OS, I actually found apps slower, but that could just be subjective.

If you are looking for a speed boost, boot up in OS9, its sad but true...

I am kinda glad that i havent yet pre-ordered Jaguar because i too am thinking of waiting for an upgrade. So maybe should just wait a little while....

The Mac Geekette

....that'll make me go out and buy new Apple hardware rather than pay $whatever to run it on my current 'built for comfort, not for speed' system.

I had a heavy, deep, severe, headache-inducing focus on a refurb PowerMac Digital Audio G4 466 30GB ca. Jan-Jul 2001, but fercryinoutloud it routinely sells at about $1000-1100. Now, I ask, can I go run and buy a new CPU with the amazing *new* 10.2 weaved right in for the low, low price of $1700 plus tax?!

You bet I can't. But I'll figure something out. Like finding some Advil.

eshine%eshine

10.2 is what 10.0 should have been. I feel like I've been duped because I bought the public beta for £30 and 10.0 for £100. I played with 10.0 and kept updating it in the hope that I could eventually be confident enough to migrate from OS9.

I wasn't happy with 10.1.5 and found it almost useless for what I wanted to do, just an expensive kaliedoscope!

Now I'm working fully in 10.2 (work dev copy but is final seed), the speed is there and the little quirks ironed out which made 10.1 look unfinished.

When it comes to buying my personal copy for home, I'll be very peaved because it will feel like I've paid £230 for an operating system that has finally matured.
Apple should have called 10.0 'beta 2' and 10.1 'beta 3' and sold them for £15 each.

At least the painfull wait is over, now I can put my confidence in to 10.2 because it really kicks ass.

I have NOOO interest in 9 and never will. I don't know how it works and don't care to learn. It may be better than OS X, but I LOVE OS X. Little flaws and all. And I can not wait for 10.2

You don't need to look back and you certainly don't need to learn OS9, it's not something you could compare to any avaialble OS and surely not to OS9.

Back