To Jaguar or not to Jaguar?

What do you think of Jaguar?

• GREAT! I already ordered it and I can't wait 'till it's shipped!

• Pretty good. Thinking about ordering soon.

• OK. Not sure about the price...

• NO WAY! That price is NOT worth the upgrade!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would strongly suggest people backup... especially if your putting 10.2 on an older system (i.e. a G3 iMac).

Remember the actual release of 10 created several issues in these older machine, and while it's nice to trust Apple to fix these problems, why take the chance?

When putting a new operating system on any machine, always think about upgrading.

Ok, Ive got the idea that i SHOULD back up... but the question for me is how? I mean i could write all of my stuff to CDs or whatever... but wouldnt that take up a lot of CDs... and time? Is there a better way to do it? Is it absolutely necessary for ALL of my stuff? What is the essential stuff i need to backup? HELP!!

The Confused and Still Sick Mac Geekette

caramelApple,

You really only need to backup your stuff. You should already have ROMs of your operating system and programs when you got or purchased them.

So you really only need to backup your documents, and work files.

Depending on how much content on your computer you might find it easy to burn a few CDs and be done with it.

And again this is just a precaution... in case something unexpected happens... and "oh no, I lost my term paper!" happens.

:p

Coolie! Well, ill have to order jaguar before i worry so much.. well thanks for the advice everyone! By the way does anyone know how often MacWorld comes around?

The Mac Geekette

They happen whenever M$ is expecting them least :D - Just kidding, :p Not quite sure how often they occur but I'd presume every six months or so, maybe I'm mistaken.

As for your upgrade backup, I don't think you should worry too much unless the Jaguar install process requires to initialize your hard disk which I doubt such a thing would happen with an OS X upgrade version.

Remember guys, Jaguar isn't XP, it's a real OS made by a real company.

Cheers

Okay thanks guys for the info... well MWSF came around not that long ago and i didnt get a chance to go... felt kinda sad but oh well there should be another one soon enough... yeah i dont think im going to back up my stuff... im just gonna hope for the best here with Jaguar.. now i still havent ordered it... but im planning to before school starts... argh... i start on the 19th! Well, if i werent a student i wouldnt be able to order the edu discount truthfully, now would i?

Love,

The Mac Geekette

Let me start by making an admission:

Three months ago, you couldn't get me to touch a Mac with a stick.

I was a VERY hardcore PC person, MCP and everything... Then I got into a situation where I no longer owned any of my PCs (had to sell for rent $$! Ouch!). I was given a old Mac by a merciful friend of mine who realized that without at least e-mail, web-surfing and word-processing capabilities, I'd lose my mind. (It was an old 7100/66, if any of you are wondering.)

After a few weeks, I realized that I could deal with owning a Mac, so I went and bought an old biege Gossamer G3 off eBay. I know, not much, but like I said, I had to sell my much more modern PCs just to keep my roof!

I had a copy of OS X 10.0 from when I was an employee at my college. I installed it after sinking some cheap upgrades into the box. That's when I realized that 10.0.x SUCKS, and went out and bought 10.1. Ahhh... MUCH better. This was about a month ago, and around the same time I started hearing rumblings about 10.2. In the immortal words of Ellen Feiss, "Errrrr?"

I was glued to the MCNY keynote like a moth to a flame, and appropriately, I got burned when I heard about the lack of upgraders price. This means that I not only missed the upgrade window for 10.1 (and had to fork out $129 just to get a usable OS), but now I'm being charged $129 in order to stay current.

Now, I realize that I may have just been shafted by my choice to purchase a Mac not long before MCNY, but frankly I didn't know of the existence of MCNY until about a week before the keynote! Not having a reduced upgrade price is a tad ridiculous, and I seriously doubt the wisdom of it. Some people have told me, "Just don't upgrade then!" But as an avid computer user for the past 15 years, I know that when major OS updates come out, it takes less than 6 months for all major software releases to require (latest version or higher) in order to run.

I guess I'll just have to pinch together enough spare change over the next couple months to budget in 10.2. But geez, Apple. Give us a little break, eh?

Yeah... thats tough..

I also ordered 10.1 in May and now their not offering me an upgrade discount... grrrrr

The Angry Little Mac Geekette

Hi, Caramel Apple!

Although I have been an avid Mac fan for years, & generally, very pleased with Apple, I, too, think that the Upgrade price is not fair to people who have recently purchased either new computers or OS X 10.1 I think it is very fair to people who are upgrading from System 9 or have not recently bought a computer.

There is a petition (poorly worded, bad spelling... but the point still gets across) about the upgrade price. Jaguar Upgrade Petition

There is another petition about changing iTools into a $99 / yr .Mac at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/iTol/petition.html with nearly 30,000 signers, but since I never used iTools, it doesn't affect me.

Unfortunately, there are not many signers to the Jaguar petition. Several people said it's because they felt the petition itself was unprofessional, because of all its mistakes.

Hope you'll sign!

We have proven time and again that Jaguar is worth its price, it really isn't that much money, and it has a ton of new featrures. Apple has a right to charge as much as they want for their products, and if you don't buy it, tough. A petitions isn't going to do ANYTHING in this case, and probably the same with the .mac one. It is a waste of time. just buy the full version for $80 and be happy that you caneven get it that cheap.

Xaq is totally right... nothings gonna change the price of Jaguar or .mac... i dont think the petitions are going to change anything. I signed them just for kicks but no one should get their hopes up of anything actually happening to the prices. I think you should just go ahead and buy Jaguar at the price that you can and be done with it. If youre still unhappy even with the educational of $80 price then thats up to you. But for people that are willing to take it seriously, i think you should come to the reality and accept the fact that Apple will do nothing about it. NOTHING

The Mac Geekette>

Congrats and thanks everybody! I think we are one of the most active thread in this specific forum (Opinion: Review and Open Letters)...

Another topic I wanted to throw out there...

what do you think M$, Bill Gates, and PC drones think about Jaguar?

I think they're probably tellign everyone its gonna be a fluke or something but inside theyre just drooling all over it...

Bill Gates is probably thinking... why didnt i think of that?... hmm maybe ill just rip it off like ive done many times before!

The Mac Geekette

>>what do you think M$, Bill Gates, and PC drones think about Jaguar?

I think they're probably tellign everyone its gonna be a fluke or something but inside theyre just drooling all over it...

Bill Gates is probably thinking... why didnt i think of that?... hmm maybe ill just rip it off like ive done many times before! <<

M$ knows like the rest of the high tech world that the future lays more on Unix, therefore, they know that their OS will either have to change dramatically or be some kind of an OS that no one will buy.

You said that Bill Gates might wonder why he didn't think of such a thing? Well, Gates rarely used his brain to innovate, as we all know that his Windows OS has simply been copied from Mac, NextStep and OS2. So, he'll do the same thing in the future with whatever they'll come up with..... And of course, they'll claim it’s their ideas in the first place. – All right, all right, I’ve reached silly stage :p

Surely M$ knows that OS X is a potential threat and they better believe it. - As for the pc hardware industry, I wouldn't think they'd mind to implement OS X for Intel platform if ever released, as I'm quite confident that it'd be a very good OS even on a none RISK hardware platform. - Remember that NextStep for Intel was just as good as the one delivered with the NextStep Station.

Lets wait and see what Jaguar really has to offer and I’m sure that the whole world won’t be short of reactions and opinions like the one you’ve just read.

Cheers

<<what do you think M$, Bill Gates, and PC drones think about Jaguar?>>

Have you seen the switch ad featuring Bill Gates? It is just a spoof, of course, but it is hilarious. And at the end, it says: "owner, software company".

a few points....

First, most of my friends(wintel users) don't even know that MacOSX 10.2 is comming out soon. nor do they care. most of my friends don't care what apple does. I am thinking that most PC users dont care all that much eather. I think Microsofts next big war is with opensource. If they want to survive they will have to find out someway to control it. Some people think that Microsoft might come out with a GUI to sit on top of Linux. But, thats off topic.

Microsoft created OS/2. So I don't think they copied it. Yes I know IBM was selling it, but Microsoft did create it. Don't beleave me? do some research. you might start with "Triumph of the Nerds" a show that aired on PBS.

plz stop the whining about the ppl who are winning about MacOSX 10.2. there should be an upgrade price. most of the new features I don't care about. some are nice. If I was giving full Rage Pro support(something that should have been there from day one) then I would not mind paying the full price. Besides what about all the new converts we are having who did not know to wait 'tell after MacWorld EXPO? We all got burned by making that mistake once why would you want new converts to get burned by it? that just seems evil to me... does anybody remember when apple tryed to put a 33.3 modem in the first iMac?? We fixed that.
Did you guys see the joy of tech cartoon about the price war we are having? funny shit.

I used MacOS 8.6 with no problems. when I got MacOSX last december is when I started to use MacOS9. and that was just for classic and the few times I booted up into MacOS9. You can even get a hack to run iTunes in MacOS8.6.... if I ever go to the old OS(god forbid) I would go back to MacOS8.6.. Just pointing out that just because of an OS release does not mean that you can no longer buy new softwere. The Mac community does not try to get you to upgrade as much as the Windows communtiy... People are still using old 68k macs and old powermacs as the main computers...

Oh, and about the backing(which I have every intention of doing but not always get around to it.) up before upgrading. What I do, is I wait for all you suckers to get the new upgrade and see if you come up with any problems before I install the upgrade. Again, does anybody remember the iTunes update that cleaned your pettions clear? I think I can wait a few weeks after the release. just to be on the safe side.

oh and caramelApple, just back up your home folder(and anybody else who has a home folder.) you may not even have to back up everything in your homefolder. you might be able to leave out say, the music folder(you did buy all your music right? ;) ) But back up your Documents, Pics, Library(so that you can keep all of your settings) and anything else you might want.... Who knows, maybe a powersurge, or act of god(or something else) will destroy your HDD..

just some of my thoughts....

"What I do, is I wait for all you suckers to get the new upgrade and see if you come up with any problems before I install the upgrade."

Tapp, This is a little harsh way of putting it, but I do the same thing. Actually I plan to wait for 10.2.1 before I upgrade.

Back