Transfer from LCll to G5 (more . . .)

dens

Registered
Hi,
I took the advice & bought a floppy disc drive (unbranded), BUT it would not work! When plugged into the USB socket at the back of the keyboard it gave me a window saying it did not have enough power. When plugged into the back of the computer it came up with a warning notice that it had too much power! What next? Will the Sony floppy drive work on the 1.1 USB socket at the rear of the keyboard? Thanks for previous help - I can recommend the Pogue 'Missing manual' book, except nothing on GarageBand. Dennis

'When plugged into the USB socket at the back of the keyboard it gave me a window saying it did not have enough power. Will the Sony floppy drive work on the 1.1 USB socket at the rear of the keyboard?', no. The keyboard is a 'non-powered' hub; thus, it cannot supply current greater than 100 mA (at 5 Vdc), which apparently the USB floppy disk drive requires.

'When plugged into the back of the computer it came up with a warning notice that it had too much power! What next?', take a snapshot of the alert box and post it in your next reply.

Another possibility: Purchase a multiple port USB (1.1 or 2.0 [recommended]) 'powered' hub - capable of supplying up to 500 mA of current at 5 Vdc, and plug the USB floppy disk drive into it.

Whether the USB floppy disk drive is unbranded or not - it has to have a UPC bar code number and some identifying information.

Thanks. Have now returned the noncompliant drive so can't give details of warning. May have to go down the hub route if no one can tell me if the Sony version works OK.

Back