Trojan infection warning

dumbbuteager

Registered
While my wife was using the computer Firefox suddenly issued a warning saying that the Mac was infected with Trojans and to download a scan checker. She shut down immediately and both the alert and the download have gone. Feel I should have the mac scanned -after the event maybe?-any thoughts on need to and action?
Thanks
Dumbbuteager

Firefox issued nothing. What your wife saw is a fairly common popup web scam aimed at unaware Windows users. The popup is trying to convince those benighted souls to download malware. So long as you and your wife ignore the popup, you will be OK.

I want to thank those who offered reassurance but sadly life aint that simple-a tech advised me to repair the hard drive and download the macscan DNS changer remover -did the repair seemed okay the rest is as notified my very Helpful tech gsahli-as repeated here:
"really dont know where to begin-but symptoms indicate that I have been and am Trojan'd. I repaired my hard drive,downloaded and ran a full macscan v.2.6.1 (demo because didn't want to buy if it didn't work) found 20 or so tracking cookies but no mention of SSCCCHHH you know what. And, as before, any attempt to get onto a "DNS Changer Trojan" site is blocked by standard "failed to connect with server" try again? screen.
I did succeed in downloading the specific macscan DNS Changer trojan removal but I cant place the icon in Applications , it slips to a position below Apps or if I try dragging it into Apps listing it puffs away. If it appears on the available apps icon bar- it does bounce up and down- then it disappears and an "unexpectedly closed would you like to submit a report"screen appears. From other forums I have checked my Library for Internet Plug Ins to see if I had a settings icon-don't have one-been in to terminal and entered prepep'd text and didn't get the alert response just "terminal couldn't find file".which I gather is good news.
This sucker is sneaky and seems to know what I am up to and is of course using the internet access control it has to block me. I am reluctant to buy any spyware removal system until I know that in doing so I can get access. My other mac airport expressed linked to this unit has had a macscan full and the Trojan scan full with just a few trackers exposed. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.."
thanks for listening..
dumbuteager

One thing would solve all your problems: re-format the hard drive and re-install OS X. There. Done. No more DNS trojans or malware. No nothing. Just plain, clean, 100% "badness-free" OS X, perfect in every shape and form, ready to serve your every computing need.

If the problems persist immediately after reinstalling OS X, then your problem isn't malware or trojans or unauthorized remote access -- it's something completely different. Hardware fault? Bad CPU? Lack of knowledge about OS X in general? Misconfigured network settings?

Your fine, it was a website she was on, one time while searching for a driver for a printer, i clicked the download link, and guess what popped up? It was a "fake scanning for viruses" window, And guess what it was scanning? My C:drive LOL Mac's don't have "C" drives, and it had a fake window, that looked like "My Computer" In XP. It was a funny experience too
Your Safe as can be on a mac, don't worry

:)

One thing would solve all your problems: re-format the hard drive and re-install OS X. There. Done. No more DNS trojans or malware. No nothing. Just plain, clean, 100% "badness-free" OS X, perfect in every shape and form, ready to serve your every computing need.

And... ’All I have to do each morning before I use my PC is re-format the hard drive, re-install windows XP and it runs perfectly, so simple’. haha

I smell s t e a l t h troll..........

A g r e e d.

I thank and have thanked those who took the time to offer advice or reassurance-as to these responses-I have no idea what a stealth troll is but there is no disguising a smartass. "Novices' who like me have a genuine need to draw on the advice of more experienced members of the community, will be discouraged joining macosx by cynical and unhelpful contributions. I described a condition that is best summarized by the downloaded DNS remover refusing to get dragged into Apps and then once in disappearing when the icon was clicked-no other application download has ever refused to open-and the only time a server isn't recognised is when I went searching for remover downloads from Google. My first experience of loosing out to artificial intelligence...

I thank and have thanked those who took the time to offer advice or reassurance-as to these responses-I have no idea what a stealth troll is but there is no disguising a smartass. "Novices' who like me have a genuine need to draw on the advice of more experienced members of the community, will be discouraged joining macosx by cynical and unhelpful contributions. ...
Cynical and unhelpful? It is cynical and unhelpful to tell you that the warning your wife saw was really scareware? I have eight years of experience with MacOS X and twenty years experience with the Mac overall. I assume that g/re/p has equivalent experience. Despite the fact that you claim to be a novice just looking for help, you reject out of hand decades of knowledge and experience and impugn the motives of those who only wanted to help you.

Perhaps, someone will explain the difference between a stealth troll and and a regular troll.

Never go to the sites hosting this troll is the best advice. Plus using some common sense when all of a sudden a web site asked that you install something without being prompt.

Lastly if you use the OpenDNS service (they have an how to video with a European support as well) and get the free account you can block those know phishing sites using the PhishTank service.

IMHO the OpenDNS will make you surfing faster and protect against know phishing web sites. Plus using common sense doesn't hurt either when receiving strange email unexpectedly.

Satcomer thanks for the advice-seems I upset some folk who having cosily labeled me a troll took exception to something I said-and I still dont know what you mean by a troll but it is interesting that you three goats "gruff" are the good guys.
Let me say this for the record tho'-given your concern for common sense-I did not ignore the advice that I was given on macosx that the Firefox page flashing and repeating warning that my computer had been infected-was a scam. My anxiety -pumped by the thought of loosing confidential data-was because, coincident with the Trojan warning the mac started controlling site access and downloads- preventing me from accessing related sites.
The macosx tech had advised me to use version tracker to scan the mac and not once but attempt after attempt I couldn't get access and when I did it wouldn't load the DNS changer removal. And before I stripped the mac I wanted to know for sure whether I had unknowingly informed others of bank stuff and other confidential data.
So I used my other mac to carry out research -as a guest -and found several -perhaps two-mac forums where other "trolls?" described similar problems. Their forum discussion advised me to run a couple of questions (pasted without knowing what I was doing) in 'Terminal' -there were no strange Ukranian 'phone numbers- and secondly to check Library/Internet plug ins -no give away 'settings' plug in. Final confirmation -it would seem- that the mac was not infected. And so I have today arranged for my son to strip this machine and upgrade OSX-as advised during this thread.
Just a point in terminating this thread and my registration I have had this iconic mac G4 desk top for five years and my intel mac mini for three years and -'til now-never before have I had a minute's grief with either machine-nor as a consequence ever posted to a forum and risked being labeled a grumpy old troll.
Never again..

I don't know if I was one of the "offending posters" you reference, but if you know anything about me, I can be very helpful with Mac knowledge -- I just don't sugar-coat stuff. Sugar coating costs you extra, and comes with a fair dose of sarcasm as well.

I'm straightforward, direct, to the point, and cut out all the bullsh*t. Some view that as rude. I view it as efficient.

"What's the 'best' disk optimizer for Mac OS X?"

"There is no 'best' because 'best' is subjective. Your best is not my best. You need to elaborate on what, specifically, you're looking for in a disk optimizer and what your goals and intentions are. Without knowing that, it's impossible to move forward with your request. You need to elaborate greatly."

Rude? I don't see it as that -- I see it as direct and to the point. I've been accused of rudeness -- frankly, I couldn't care less, and I think that people just need to man up and grow some thicker skin. Boo freakin' hoo... get on with life. You got your answer -- if you wanted flowery language and "please this" and "sorry that," well, tough titties. Go ask your mom/wife/father/husband next time if you want the mushy-gushy stuff. I'll get your Mac working again very efficiently, and that's it. I have a wealth of knowledge to share, and I do, but I ain't your friend. I ain't your enemy, but I ain't your friend. To be quite honest, I respect your Mac computer more than the person sitting in front of it (this is the informal or generalized "you," by the way -- not you specifically) because I know your Mac better than I know you.

The point is that you can't control the way other people act toward you -- and withdrawing completely, I think many will agree, is hardly the way to go about dealing with a response you don't like. I know I, for one, would like to see you stick around and be helped here rather than tuck tail and run because someone called you a name. You can be helped here, and you can also give back and help others as well. Can't do either of those if you're not present, though.

Hope everything turns out for the best with your OS X reload. Good luck with it.

No issue with you sir, it was your advice I took-I thought I pressed the thanks button-your early posting was clear to the point and no clever nod and a wink remarks about trolls-and as direct and tough as evidently are your note of encouragement made me feel a little less alien or troll like.
A large Scotch coupled with your guidance will straighten my back..maybe a little comforting from the softer source ..?
The devil with..what, who ? Caca ?..you are not Carlos Eduardo Ferrari footballer currenty resident in Hong Kong?
Later..

It was supposed to be "El Diablo Con Queso" -- much more rhyme-y and stuff, and it makes a little more sense (a night of scotch with Mexican wrestling on the TV and strange stuff gets created), but alas, there's apparently a limit on the length of usernames here. So "caca" it became, however nonsensical.

I think I can shed some light on the troll accusations -- in recent months (maybe the last year or so) there has been an influx of users screaming bloody murder, virus infection, and all manner of conspiracy theory. People complaining that others are "watching them" through their Macs, even when the network cable is unplugged -- basically, impossibilities. We end up chasing phantom problems down for 5, 10, 15 pages until someone gets fed up: either the users here will chant, "Down with the heretic!" or the original poster will get fed up and leave.

Some do this to "test" us... others do it to annoy us... yet others do it just to waste time. In the end, more often than not, the original "problem" turns out to be nothing of the sort. It could be chalked up to sheer inexperience with either the Mac platform or electro-magic appliances in general. So any time someone starts off their post with "I'm infected! The government is watching! Someone hijacked my computer remotely!" we tend to be a little skeptical... ok, well, it's frickin' annoying so a LOT skeptical.

The way I look at it is that it's just a computer -- you can live without it. There is no need to rush into a room, screaming conspiracy theory, and starting one or more of the following:

1) a panic.
2) a severe backlash.
3) a good dose of "shut the eff up."

Even if one had been hacked and infected and remotely exploited, it's just a freaking computer. If you store sensitive information on your computer, shame on you. If you're willy-nilly with your social or credit card numbers on your computer, shame on you. If you don't use the built-in security of Mac OS X (a good password, a firewall, logging out after a session, etc.), shame on you. These are not things that need to be taught to a person -- they are common sense. If'n they DO need to be taught to a person, then that person is going to have a rough computing life -- they lack basic understanding, and more often than not, it is frustrating as hell to try and teach someone how to use a computer through a computer.

At any rate... that may have rambled off into off-topic range, so that's it. Stick around. There are some really great people here. Some are smart, some are dumb, some are nice, some are mean.

Here is a breakdown of who is who here:

Nice people:
1) ElDiabloConCaca
2) a few others, maybe.

Mean and dumb people:
1) Ghre... [smack!]

;)

@dumbbuteager:

My apologies for being somewhat rude - it appears i was a bit pre-mature in playing the troll acusation card.

As El Diablo mentioned, there have been some similar threads started in the past that were somewhat questionable.

By your reply(s) i can readily see that you are not a troll.

Back