Trouble when Firefox starts

ltournat

Registered
So I'm new to the Mac, but I recently downloaded Firefox as my internet browser. It saved it in my Applications, but whenever I launch Firefox now, a window pops up. It has the Firefox logo with a right arrow that goes to the Applications folder. I've already dragged it into this file and saved over the original. It also will put a hard drive icon with the Firefox logo on my desktop. I've tried deleting this with no luck. Anyone know what else to do to make this window stop popping up?

It seems that you've moved the DMG file into the Applications folder and not the application itself. DMG is a disk image file that's used in OS X. When you double click the DMG file, a virtual hard drive shows up on your Desktop and a window opens up with the contents of that virtual hard drive. The contents in there are telling you to drag that Firefox application icon to the folder next to it (which is in fact a shortcut to the Applications folder in your hard drive). The following page should give you the steps on how to copy the Firefox application icon to your Applications folder correctly:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.4&os=osx&lang=en-US

Once you've moved the Firefox icon the the Applications folder, you can eject the virtual hard drive by dragging it to the Trash on the Dock (the Trash icon will change to an Eject icon).

Ok, I thought I did that...dragged the FF icon into the applications folder in that window, and yet it still doesn't work. That link you attached doesn't really help me.

If you did move the icon to the Applications folder, then there should be a Firefox icon in that folder. Double clicking that icon should launch the application. It should look like this in your Applications folder (view attached image).

Attachments

• Firefix-in-AppFolder.jpg
    Firefix-in-AppFolder.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6
It sounds like you dragged the disk image of FireFox into your applications folder.

In order to install Firefox correctly, do this:

1) Download FireFox.
2) Double-click the downloadede FireFox disk image.
3) Another FireFox icon should appear on your desktop -- this is the mounted FireFox disk image, containing the FireFox application. Also, a window may (or may not) automatically appear as well.
4) Double-click the FireFox mounted disk image, which will open a window displaying the FireFox application icon (or, if this window has already appeared, skip to 5).
5) Drag the FireFox application icon from within this window to your Applications folder.

Next, "eject" the disk image of FireFox by dragging the mounted FireFox disk image to your trash icon in the dock. The trash icon should be an "eject" symbol if you do this correctly.

After that, drag the downloaded FireFox disk image to the trash. The trash icon should be the normal trash basket icon if you do this correctly.

Optionally empty the trash after this last step.

Ok, I don't speak computer, haha, but all I did was re-download it and apparently I did it right this time, because that window that used to come up is gone now! Thanks!

Ok, I don't speak computer, haha, but all I did was re-download it and apparently I did it right this time, because that window that used to come up is gone now! Thanks!

You mean you can't read 10011011 0100001 1101010 0111010 0100101 0101001? Shameful! :p

Glad you got it working. :)

Sorry for reviving what must be a common question but I've done every thing suggested here and the firefox disk still opens every time on the desktop. And yes I have copied the firefox icon from within the firefox desktop disk to my application folder and to the dock. Am I best to just to just delete it from all locations on my iMac and download it again?

We got a iMac for SWMBO too and I got it working fine on her machine...

When do you see the disk image mount?
At startup/login - or only when you choose to open FireFox?

Double-check that you don't have the FireFox disk image in your Applications folder. You should only see the FireFox app.
Launch your FireFox app, then right-click on the FireFox icon in the Dock. Choose Keep in Dock from that menu. IF there's another FireFox icon in the dock, drag that one off.
That should take care of it...

Back