Turning off this download verification notice

Greg_Reez

Registered
Whenever I open a file downloaded from the internet or even an attachment from entourage, leopard gives me this notice: "(filename) may be an application. It was downloaded from the internet and will be opened by (program). Are you sure you want to open it?"

It does this so often that it is getting extremely annoying. I attached a screenshot, there has to be a way to turn it off.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 8
I can understand the need for this, as I'm one of those people who knows exactly what they're downloading from the internet and need no help in distinguishing a virus from a normal file. In cases like mine, the warning is superfluous.

Here's a workaround based upon folder actions:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071029151619619
...but no, it doesn't seem like there's a system-wide preference or setting that's been discovered so far that'll get rid of the alert for good.

You want to turn off a security feature in your operating system? Are you crazy?

Not so much a security feature, just the pop up. It just started happening several weeks ago. Every single day I'm pulling attachments from clients out of email, purchasing photos from istock, downloading sample images from the internet, etc. And every time, the pop-up comes up when I decide to open the files.

No I'm not crazy, just efficient. Where does this pop up come from? Was it included in a recent update?

Not so much a security feature, just the pop up. It just started happening several weeks ago. Every single day I'm pulling attachments from clients out of email, purchasing photos from istock, downloading sample images from the internet, etc. And every time, the pop-up comes up when I decide to open the files.

No I'm not crazy, just efficient. Where does this pop up come from? Was it included in a recent update?

That was the default feature in OS X 10.5.0. If your Mac didn't do this before, then something in the upgrade went wacky.

Back