Two Computers, one OSX Leopard DVD...

granthac

Registered
So I have an older Powermac G5 that I loaded leopard on to, since then I have bought a newer Powermac that I will use more frequently, but unfortunately it did not come with Leopard. If I load Leopard on to my newer computer and it is on the same wireless network as my older will I have any trouble with licensing? I rarely use the older computer, but there are a few times when I do need to have both up and running. Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Your computer will explode, Citizen.

--J.D.

P.S. You are to be congratulated on your honesty--most would not care: if it installs it installs. However, you may wish to contact Apple.

I'll assume it is the retail version of Leopard.

Install it, as you own both computers.

BTW: Mac OS's do not call home.

A single-user copy of OS X install has license to install on only one Mac.
There is no license code that you need (as in Windows), so there is nothing to prevent installing on more than one Mac.
Owning lots of Macs does not change the software license, that remains as written. Installing the software is when you agree to accept the terms of the license, so it's on your conscience.

There is also the family pack for the retail version of Mac OS X so if the normal one license OS X is $ 129 or so, the family license (up to 5 computers on same household, says it) is $ 149. This would be on a karma level a better choice for you. (Plus if e.g. your mum has a Mac that also needs to have it's system upgraded, you could include your mum in the family license).

(as long as she lives in the same household) ...

These things are actually very easy.

1.) The version that comes with the computer is for that computer only. You can't even legally destroy the computer and use the license on another computer.

2.) The retail version (single user) is for one computer. You can deinstall it from one computer and use it on another, but can't use it on two computers. Not even if you turn one off while using the other one.

3.) The family license retail version can be used on up to 5 computers in the same household (family or not). Theoretically, if the owner of the family license moves out of the household, all other users have to reinstall their original systems and get rid of this particular version.

If you use any of the disks in any other way, you can talk about karma all you want, your use of it won't become legal by it. By tricking around, you're basically doing the same as downloading an illegal copy and installing that.

I always have to chuckle when people come to our store and talk about things like using their sons or daughters in order to get a cheaper Adobe CS4 license or something. I sometimes tell them to get an illegal copy instead, because otherwise they're just doing a lousy job at pirating software. There's not "more" or "less" legal.

Please stop seeing this as somewhere on a greyscale. This one _is_ black and white.

Just remember that while all crimes are crimes, not all crimes are equal.

--J. "Don't Do the Crime if You Can't Do the Time" D.

I beg to differ. I see no difference between pirating software and killing a family.

I think I'll go search for teenagers downloading music illegally to sue now. ;)

On-topic: yes, this is illegal use of Mac OS X. One license, one computer, unless you've got the "family pack" version of OS X. Don't do it -- support Apple, buy another license. They're only a tad over $100 -- arguably the cheapest operating system available (Linux aside, but if Linux were so great, you'd be trying to load that instead of OS X now wouldn't you?).

I beg to differ. I see no difference between pirating software and killing a family.

I think I'll go search for teenagers downloading music illegally to sue now. ;)

On-topic: yes, this is illegal use of Mac OS X. One license, one computer, unless you've got the "family pack" version of OS X. Don't do it -- support Apple, buy another license. They're only a tad over $100 -- arguably the cheapest operating system available (Linux aside, but if Linux were so great, you'd be trying to load that instead of OS X now wouldn't you?).

Now now....let's play nicely. ;)

Thanks for all of the quick responses everyone! Let me be clear when I say there is nothing malicious behind my intent here, I just wanted clarification on a issue that is now black and white for me. Any gray area has been removed. I am going to re-install 10.4 on the older computer and go with 10.5 on the newer one. I truly do not need 10.5 on the older computer as I use it sparingly. Thanks again!

-Chris

Back