Unable to install an OS onto external HD

jellyrollo

Registered
I've tried installing OS X on 2 different HD's. Ive tried it with and wth out journaling enabled but not matter what I've tried, I still get the following error message.

here is a screen capture of the error message i am getting during install
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3284/dsc035036vd.jpg

I called Lacie and they don't have any additional tips for me.

BTW, I have a G5 1.8ghz running 10.3.9.

Are you booting from the install disc?

In the Get Info window for the drive, what are the Permissions?
Is there a box for ignore Permissions?

Are you booting from the install disc? Yes

In the Get Info window for the drive, what are the Permissions? Read & Write

Is there a box for ignore Permissions? Yes

Boot again to the installer disk, with the LaCie drive connected. At the first screen, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu, and Click on the LaCie device (not the partition) and click on the partition tab. Click Volume Scheme - current, and change to 1 Partition, Click on Format and change to Mac OS Extended, name the volume if you like, then click the Partition button. When this finishes, quit everything, and shut down. Cycle the power on the LaCie, and boot back to the installer CD. You should be able to install now....

Thanks for all the replies!

Just for the record, I also posted this question on another board and got this response which worked for me. Sounds like a glitch?

"Boot your install CD, and go straight to Utilities, Disk Utility. Now erase the lacie, formatting as HFS. Be sure when erasing that you select the drive, and NOT the volume that may be listed below the drive. Quit out of disk utility, and go forward with the install. If it gives you the triangle again, back up ONE screen and go forward again for it to update. It really should update already but I've seen a couple cases where it had to be coaxed. Then the disk should be an eligible install drive and you can proceed."

Don't format a drive with HFS, as you will be limited to 32,768 files max. Use Mac OS Extended, instead. You may think that's a lot of files, but the old HFS is very inefficent in use of space, and probably can't be used as a boot drive, if you wanted to do that.

Back