Unable to resize volume using disk uitility...

jameister

Registered
I'm struggling with this one...

Trying to resize and existing volume using disk utility on Leopard. Have a 1TB internal Drive with 1 Partition (extended Journal), not a boot drive this is just for data, now want to add another partition (2 Volumes), in effect shrinking the size of the original so I have 2 equal sizes.

So Far I have used 450GB, so there should be enough room to do this right? Although when I go through the process, I get the message 'not enough space on drive'.

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or if there is an alternative (other then a 3rd party software).

thanks in advance

Jamie

I'm struggling with this one...

Trying to resize and existing volume using disk utility on Leopard. Have a 1TB internal Drive with 1 Partition (extended Journal), not a boot drive this is just for data, now want to add another partition (2 Volumes), in effect shrinking the size of the original so I have 2 equal sizes.

So Far I have used 450GB, so there should be enough room to do this right? Although when I go through the process, I get the message 'not enough space on drive'.

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or if there is an alternative (other then a 3rd party software).

thanks in advance

Jamie
Hi Jamie;
I had the same problem putting a larger hard drive on my G4 mirror door. I had to use a third party package to trick the bios into accepting the large drive. As it was explained to me, before Tiger, the OS limited HD's to around 200 Gigs so the only workaround was to fool the computer.

Hi Jamie;
I had the same problem putting a larger hard drive on my G4 mirror door. I had to use a third party package to trick the bios into accepting the large drive. As it was explained to me, before Tiger, the OS limited HD's to around 200 Gigs so the only workaround was to fool the computer.

it does seem that it's in the BIOS. And even though I have a 1TB drive leopard may only be able to see 750GB.

Ok, so a 3rd party software may be the answer, could you tell me what it is you used please?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie;
Older Macs just can't see or use ATA internal hard discs larger than 128 Gigs so unless you know some terminal workaround (which I do not), you have to resort to a utility.
The utility I have used successfully is Speed Tools ATA Hi-Cap Driver for Mac OSX.
It's only $25 and works great..compatible with OSX 10.2-10.5
Bruce

Hi Jamie;
Older Macs just can't see or use ATA internal hard discs larger than 128 Gigs so unless you know some terminal workaround (which I do not), you have to resort to a utility.
The utility I have used successfully is Speed Tools ATA Hi-Cap Driver for Mac OSX.
It's only $25 and works great..compatible with OSX 10.2-10.5
Bruce

As, Like you say, this is more to do with older Macs i.e. G3/G4, it wouldn't work with a G5 and intel macs anyway and apparently disk utility should see it!

The other alternative I have found is that you can obtain an e-sata PCI card with an internal connector, this is the work around. Jamie

Last edited:
This is a different issue, I think.
You have a 1 TB hard drive, which means that you have about 930GB of usable space. You have used 450GB of that, correct?
If the system allowed you to split that drive into equal partitions, you would only have 15 left on your working partition. So, I suspect that there's not enough space to split equally, which is what that message is saying.
If you still need to split off a partition, try changing the size by dragging the divider to create a smaller split, such as 250 GB. That should work.

As, Like you say, this is more to do with older Macs i.e. G3/G4, it wouldn't work with a G5 and intel macs anyway and apparently disk utility should see it!

The other alternative I have found is that you can obtain an e-sata PCI card with an internal connector, this is the work around. Jamie

This is a different issue, I think.
You have a 1 TB hard drive, which means that you have about 930GB of usable space. You have used 450GB of that, correct?
If the system allowed you to split that drive into equal partitions, you would only have 15 left on your working partition. So, I suspect that there's not enough space to split equally, which is what that message is saying.
If you still need to split off a partition, try changing the size by dragging the divider to create a smaller split, such as 250 GB. That should work.

Yes your right 930gb drive.. So even though technically it should be able to divide the drive intp 2 equal partititons of 465GB it can't because it needs more room to move data about? I'm sure I've already tried the 250GB option, But I'll give it another go when I get in later. Although I know someone that has a MacPro with 2 1TB drives and gets the same problem which is why it was suggested that the e-sata option is the work around which seems to work for him as this utilises the full amount (albeit) of 930GB space.

I think the better suggestion, when you have that much data on the drive already - is to back up that drive completely to another drive. Then format your drive as you see fit...
What is your goal with another partition on the same drive? Would it be more efficient to simply have an external drive for more storage?

Although I know someone that has a MacPro with 2 1TB drives and gets the same problem which is why it was suggested that the e-sata option is the work around which seems to work for him as this utilises the full amount (albeit) of 930GB space.

The only thing that affects usable space on a drive is the format the drive is in coupled with the block size.

Whether a drive is hooked up via eSATA, USB, Firewire, or is installed on an internal ATA or SATA bus has absolutely no bearing on the usable amount of space on a drive. You will get no more usable space hooking a drive up via eSATA than you would hooking it up to a slow, pokey, USB 1.1 interface.

I think the better suggestion, when you have that much data on the drive already - is to back up that drive completely to another drive. Then format your drive as you see fit...
What is your goal with another partition on the same drive? Would it be more efficient to simply have an external drive for more storage?

My goal is to simply separate the data and make things tidy. I have many movie files and the rest are samples, song files/audio, etc. I just wanted to divide it for that reason but I can live with it. I already have 2 back-up external drives.

Back