Unable to take screenshots...

SolitaryHowl

Registered
Hello. I am unable to take screenshots using Command-Shift-3 (in order to take a full screen screenshot). Oddly enough, I am able to take screenshots using all other shortcuts, just not using the shortcut Command-Shift-3 , which is the feature that I want to use. Using the program 'Grab' works, but I don't want to use that program, especially for video games.

I have recently installed a program that allows me to take videos and screenshots, and it used a shortcut to 'open' but I set the hotkey/shortcut to another combination and it still doesn't work. The program is Snapz Pro X.

I am using Mac OSX Tiger with the latest updates on a Macbook Pro.

Please give me step-by-step instructions on how to get this to work. I don't remember changing this option in any settings, or if there is even an option to change these hotkeys, but I would really want to keep Snapz Pro X as a program...so I don't know what to do. You guys are the experts.

Thanks in advanced.

My OSX version is 10.4.11 (Tiger)

In the System Preferences, under "Keyboard & Mouse", in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" pane, under "Screen Shots" in the list, is "Save picture of the screen as a file" checked, and is the shortcut listed as shift-command-3?

Oddly, the shortcut is the exact same as the new Snapz Pro X hotkey that I changed it to. Before, it was Command-Shift-3. I changed the program's shortcut to Command-Shift-9, and that's what 'save picture of screen as a file' says. I just changed the option (not from the program) back to Command-Shift-3 and tried it, but Snapz Pro X came up, so apparently the two hotkeys are linked to each other.

What now?

Last edited:
That's a problem -- you have conflicting hotkeys. You can't (well, you CAN, but it's bad practice and the results are unpredictable) have the same hotkey combo assigned to two different programs.

Assign command-shift-3 to one program or the other (say, SnapzPro), then assign a completely different hotkey combo (say, command-shift-option-3) to the other program.

Okay, I did that. It 'kind of' worked.

Here's a screenshot that I took using Command-Shift-3. It worked, note how Snapz Pro X is still open and both have different hotkeys.

http://i42.tinypic.com/350qpgp.png

I exited out of the program, and the 'Keyboard and mouse list hotkey' seemed to reset itself to the new Snapz Pro hotkey. So, I don't know what to do now. It seems like the two hotkeys want to match each other.

(The hotkey that Snapz Pro uses is the one that opens up the program. There is no underline button, and as far as I'm aware that hotkey is the only way to open up the program.)

If you uninstall Snapz Pro, do things revert back to normal? If so, then reinstall Snapz Pro and assign Snapz Pro to another key binding that's not Command-Shift-3

Yes, things went back to normal when I uninstalled the program.

I uninstalled it, then reinstalled Snapz Pro X. I changed the hotkey to something like Command-Shift-7. I tried to take a screenshot using Command-Shift-3, and it didn't work.

I checked in System Preferences, and apparently the 'save picture of screen as a file' changes whenever I change the hotkey for the program.

I'm starting to think that maybe getting a new program is easier and better. Can anybody recommend a free good program for Mac OSX that records video of the whole screen?

Yes, things went back to normal when I uninstalled the program.

I uninstalled it, then reinstalled Snapz Pro X. I changed the hotkey to something like Command-Shift-7. I tried to take a screenshot using Command-Shift-3, and it didn't work.

I checked in System Preferences, and apparently the 'save picture of screen as a file' changes whenever I change the hotkey for the program.

I'm starting to think that maybe getting a new program is easier and better. Can anybody recommend a free good program for Mac OSX that records video of the whole screen?

Have you tried changing any settings ins Snapz Pro? It seems that you might need to change something (maybe a key-binding) from there instead of System Preferences. I'm not too familiar with the current Snapz Pro so I'm basing this on speculation, but it doesn't hurt to try and check.

Solution is very simple. It is necessary that the System option for taking screenshots is ACTIVATED. From there on using your own SnapzPro shortcut will invoke SnapzPro.

Back