unorthodox xserve

stizz

gorilla beta tester
Does anybody know if an xserve will run regular 10.2.6? or will it ONLY run OSX Server?

What advantage would there be to run regular (client) 10.2.6 on an XSERVE. It ships with Jag server already installed! Can you purchase it with 10.2.6 client only? Will the Xserve hardware apps run on 10.2.6 client?

i want to use it as a portable protools rig.

1 RU Mac + 1 RU Digi002 Rack in a 4 RU shoulder case.

Xserve is really, really long!! It doesn't fit in regular rack. You really should get measures of the xserve and measure your rack before buying. And they are really loud! I have one of them and it is doing a great job as a server but I couldn't imagine using it for serious music stuff...

What do you mean, a regular rack? I thought the Xserve fit a standard 1U rack. What kind of "regular" rack are you using?

But I agree on the last point. If you want to do serious music editing, especially on the go, you want as quiet a computer as you can get.

I mean that sure you can screw it to your rack. It will fit there. The only thing is that it will stick out from the back of your rack. It is 84cm long!! Much longer than synth modules or effects...

When I got my Xserve, I was suprised by the size and weight of this thing... You really have to see it in real, pictures won't do justice to it. It feels just as heavy as normal G4 tower...

You can run OSX on an Xserve. No it will not be Portable. Not like over the shoulder soft rack. Maybe in a road case rack. Have You ever seen a Keyboard case with a handle on one end and wheels on the other, like a suitcase?
Something to think about!

Back