Unrecognized Names on Computer: Should I Be Concerned?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I couldn't find an Internet/security category, so I'm posting this here:

You know how when you type in your username for an online forum, like this one for example, and some browsers memorize your username so that when you begin to type it in, it automatically finishes it for you? Well, I went to type in my username (not this forum)--not to sign in (I was already signed in) but to do a search of recent posts that I'd made to see if there were any new replies--and a drop-down list of about 10 names popped up (er ... down, rather). One of them was my username; the other nine I'd never heard of before. I'm the only one who ever uses my computer (yes, I know this for a fact because it's a laptop and I have it with me at all times). Who in the heck are all those other usernames? I did notice that they all began with the same three letters as my username. Is it possible that that particular forum has a feature that allows you to choose other members' usernames to search for from your drop-down list?

Or does this mean that my security has been breached and all these other names belong to hackers? :eek:

uh... You mean like here in this forum? Yes it does show you possible names when you search by poster's name. What if you were searching for other people's posts and not your own, would you be surprised then?

simbalala said:
uh... You mean like here in this forum? Yes it does show you possible names when you search by poster's name. What if you were searching for other people's posts and not your own, would you be surprised then?
As I said, no, it wasn't in this forum. And, yes, I was surprised.

If it was in the "username" and "password" fields, and you have "AutoFill" turned on (in Safari's/Firefox's preferences), then it's possible that the browser was simply offering you a choice of recently typed, or similar to your username names.

I tried this, and this forum shows you a list of other user names (autocompleting) when searching for other user names. Not a security issue, just a search helper, and is not a function of your browser. I assume other forums using similar software, also offer this.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If it was in the "username" and "password" fields, and you have "AutoFill" turned on (in Safari's/Firefox's preferences), then it's possible that the browser was simply offering you a choice of recently typed, or similar to your username names.
As I said, it was not in the username and passworld fields. It was in the Search field, to search for posts by a particular user. If I've never typed in those usernames, and no one else uses my computer but me, how'd those names get there?

DeltaMac said:
I tried this, and this forum shows you a list of other user names (autocompleting) when searching for other user names. Not a security issue, just a search helper, and is not a function of your browser. I assume other forums using similar software, also offer this.
OK, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for answering my question.

I just did a search for this same question. However, my auto fill was a username at another forum I just signed up for. (as in it 5 minutes ago). The auto-fill dropped down with a list of a couple common names I use, and then... "nick"? I don't even know someone named nick. Nor is it anywhere close to my username.

As stated before, is this something to worry about?

If you do a search by username at this site, you will get a dropdown with other users, including your own username. That list is other users of this site, and not users who somehow have access to your Mac.
Is that what you are asking about?

It was not a search. I was just entering my username to log into the forum. (it was not this one) Just as I would do to log into an email account, or any other forum, etc.

It just seemed weird as I've never seen a different name pop up before.

Is it someone else in your household who also uses your computer?
Maybe they just made up a name, and entered it. You don't have to use your own name, eh?

Negative. I live alone and this is my personal laptop. I don't have anyone use this without my permission, and even when someone else is using it I do not know anyone with that name, so it would be very very random if that was their log-in name AND I did not witness that they input it.

So, instead of focusing on that chance, is there a possibility that this means my computer has been used remotely by someone? OR, is there some other explanation?

Back