Updating/Restoring iPhone using a downloaded ipsw file

PBear

Registered
Because of our slow and capped internet connection I had my son download a couple ipsw from ipsw.me files onto a flash drive and then sent to me. The two ipsw files were for an iPhone 8 (to update) and iPhone 5s (to restore because we forgot the passcode). At the time he downloaded them they were the latest ipsw files for each phone. After he sent them a couple new updates to each phone surfaced. First, I tried to restore the 5s (passcode was lost), then an update but I kept getting a popup error. I tried doing this on a Mac mini OSX 10.13.6 iTunes 12.8.2.3 and a MBP OSX 10.14.6 iTunes 12.9.5.5. The attached screenshots show the error. Is this because the ipsw files aren't the latest ones?
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.52.04 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.01.42 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.01.42 PM.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.49.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.49.33 PM.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 5
Not know what steps you took, or where your son got the ipsw files from or exactly what 'more info' says... Check over this article and see if anything helps you...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263
With the 5s off I connect it to my Macs with iTunes open while holding down the Home button. When iTunes recognizes it it shows an Update and Restore buttons. I press and hold the Alt/Option key while I press either the Update or the Restore button and choose the ipsw file that was downloaded from ipsw.me site. iTunes starts to extract and then install but when it's done the above error shows up. The same thing happens with the iPhone 8 going through pretty much the same steps as the 5s.
I just tried the instructions from your link but instead of choosing the ipsw file(s) when I alt/option click on either the Update or Restore buttons a download starts. I don't want to download from Apple with my connection. iPhone8 download showed over 200 minutes to download. My daily limit is only 475MB, that's why I had my son download and send me the files.
What "more info" are you referring to?

The screen shots show the errors you got and it shows two buttons.More Info and Ok. Did you click on More Info to find out what it says?
Ohh.. Yes, I did. It didn't help me any. I tried the instructions in the link you provided. Each time I tried using the alt/option clicking with either the update or restore buttons a download just started. The option to choose the ipsw file never came up. I remember once I restored a friends iPhone using an ipsw file with my MM and iTunes using the alt/option key. Why can't I do it now?

I have no idea where you are from, but may I suggest you go someplace with good WiFi internet. That could be public buildings, healthcare facilities, restaurants, friends/neighbors homes, or even your phone carrier's store. From there, just update through the phone and forget all this ipsw file 'mumbo-jumbo'.

I have no idea where you are from, but may I suggest you go someplace with good WiFi internet. That could be public buildings, healthcare facilities, restaurants, friends/neighbors homes, or even your phone carrier's store. From there, just update through the phone and forget all this ipsw file 'mumbo-jumbo'.
If I had anyone of those options available to me, I would happily forget about all this ipsw file 'mumbo-jumbo'.

How about your son's place?
I'd have to ship them to and from him, unfortunately. So, there is no other way to restore the iPhone 5s or update my iPhone 8 other than shipping it out to a place that has better internet connection?

Sorry. I assumed that your son was not that far away since he downloaded those files for you. You are between a rock and a hard place. Trouble is, I think Gilbert has it right. Your internet connection is the cause.

So, the errors I'm getting are due to my slow connection and has nothing to do with the ipsw files, even though they are not the current versions?

Not having the correct version of the ipsw file has a big part in it as well. When you lose a connection, the update/install stalls out and errors are thrown out. If the file is not the correct one, you get errors as well. It could be both reasons. :confused:

Maybe your ipsw are simply outdated. If Apple has stopped signing those, because newer versions have been released, then your ipsw files would be useless to you. Apple has to verify the IPSW during the restore, so you have to be connected to the internet when restoring, even if you already have the IPSW. If Apple has stopped signing those, then the restore can't proceed. That may be why you get that error.
For example, for your iPhone 8, only the current 14.2 is signed. The slightly older 14.1 is no longer signed, and can't be used for a restore. Anything older would also be unsigned and unuseable.

Back