Updating to Leopard G4

cory1848

Registered
Currently running Dual 867 MDD G4 10.4.11. Should I update to leopard? I know I am behind the times but will my machine handle it? Would it be worth it or would it slow it down way too much?

Thanks

"Should I..." and "Is it worth it..." are subjective, and are entirely and solely up to you. No one knows you better than you, and no one can answer those questions but you. Ask yourself if the differences between Tiger and Leopard are justifiable. Ask yourself if $130 is worth it. Ask yourself what you intend to gain from upgrading to Leopard. Ask yourself if Time Machine is worth it.

Go to an Apple store and play with Leopard... like it? Got $130? Buy it. Don't have $130? Don't like it? Don't buy it.

No one but you can answer those questions.

Yes, your machine will handle Leopard as long as you've got enough RAM (I recommend at LEAST 1GB, if not 2GB).

Leopard should actually run faster on your G4 than Tiger. I have both on my eMac and am blown away by how much more quickly Leopard boots and launches apps.

Currently running Dual 867 MDD G4 10.4.11. Should I update to leopard? I know I am behind the times but will my machine handle it? Would it be worth it or would it slow it down way too much?

Thanks

When you do the update do an Archive & Install when updating. This is the best option short of a full erase & install. Then use a program like AppFresh to update your programs after updating the OS X system software.

Thanks for the tips. Its not a cost thing, its a productivity thing. If by upgrading, it would be taxing my machine more than tiger currently is, then its not worth it. But if I get the results that andychrist did, it may just be worth it. I like to keep up with new features but not at the expense of killing my system since I rely on it for work.

2 gigs of ram in my machine so that isnt an issue.

I have the same G4 Dual 867 that you do. I have mine loaded with Memory 2GB, and Leopard runs great. I also notice that it does seem to run faster than Tiger.

Take the plunge. You will be very happy.

I also have the dual 867 with 2 gig of ram and i upgraded to leopard a while ago and have not once been sorry i did. a few years ago i upgraded the video card to a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/256mb so this might help me out a bit too, but i am running dual monitors off of it and i still have not regretted going to leopard.

Back