Upgrade to OS X 10.5 from OS X 10.4.11

For 10.5.8, no.

The question of UFS and HFS format generally arises when a PC user formats his HD like he is running a PC.

-J.D.

Thanks for all the help JD. You've been great!
I've been looking at the Leopard OS Versions, and am wondering though, which do I purchase? There's a 10.5.6 for sale, but now i see there's also a 10.5.2?

You could always . . . Thank me . . . bestow Karma upon me . . . not that I expect reward for my Humble MagNIfIcence. . . .

With whatever version of 10.5 you get free upgrades. So you can get 10.5.2 or 10.5.x and download the ComboUpdates to get to the last.

What I do not know is if you have 10.5.2, say, if Snow Leopard will simply update over that safely. Does it need the latest version of 10.5? Perhaps a Guru knows. However, it is not a big deal either way.

People generally recommend downloading the ComboUpdates for the OS rather than simply updating online with Software Update. Doing the later can sometimes screw up things. I have had that happen once, actually.

--J.D.

Plus when you get leopard do not use the standard upgrade path of installing. Use the Archive & Install way of initially installing Leopard. Trust me it will prevent a lot of upgrade headaches.

Once Leopard is running do not open any programs yet. Just open you favorite browser and down load the 10.5.1 Update and update it. When it reboots download the 10.5.6 Combo Update and it will take you straight to the latest 10.5.6 version of Leopard. Be patient because there will be a big security update inside the combo that will reboot the Mac twice, this is normal. Once 10.5.6 is all done then use Software Update to get the remaining updates.

Lastly get the free program AppFresh so it will find & point to all the program updates you applications will need to function in Leopard.

Note: One word of warning is Application Enhancer hackies from Tiger broke the Leopard install. So junk all the Application Enhancer plugins before upgrading to Leopard.

Good Luck.
Even though this is a very old thrread, I am new to OS X, and wanted to aska question about the side effect of upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.
As suggested, I will use the Archive & Install way of upgrading.
However, I am not sure if this will preserve all my third party software I have installed.
Could someone please address this? I do not wish to lose my third party apps.

Cheers,

Jack

An Archive & Install should keep all your apps as you had them before the upgrade to Leopard. The Archive & Install, in a sense, bypasses the existing system, and installs a fresh set of system software. You will see when you choose that option, that you also have the choice to save your files and data - and you should make sure that sub-choice is selected.
You shouldn't lose any apps - although occasionally some will need to be reinstalled from your original disks. Those could be pro-level apps, such as Adobe PhotoShop, or maybe something like ProTools. Your experience may vary, but most apps will be no problem with an Archive & Install.
You may find some of your apps that need to be upgraded. You should check on all that you have for possible updates to support Leopard. And finally, some apps that you are using now may not work with Leopard. A common one is (again) Adobe Photoshop CS1, or older versions. The one prior to CS is PhotoShop 7 - which will not work - no fix to get it to work with Leopard.
So, there you are - it depends on what you have now.

An Archive & Install should keep all your apps as you had them before the upgrade to Leopard. The Archive & Install, in a sense, bypasses the existing system, and installs a fresh set of system software. You will see when you choose that option, that you also have the choice to save your files and data - and you should make sure that sub-choice is selected.
You shouldn't lose any apps - although occasionally some will need to be reinstalled from your original disks. Those could be pro-level apps, such as Adobe PhotoShop, or maybe something like ProTools. Your experience may vary, but most apps will be no problem with an Archive & Install.
You may find some of your apps that need to be upgraded. You should check on all that you have for possible updates to support Leopard. And finally, some apps that you are using now may not work with Leopard. A common one is (again) Adobe Photoshop CS1, or older versions. The one prior to CS is PhotoShop 7 - which will not work - no fix to get it to work with Leopard.
So, there you are - it depends on what you have now.

Thank you so much. That is indeed very helpful and re-assuring.
Needless to say, I will back up my entire disk to an external drive before I proceed.

Best regards,

iSeek

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1
Serial Number: W85220ABSQ6

Can I upgrade with this computer? I just want to go up to Leopard, get a couple of programs that aren't available to me at the moment.

Of course you can upgrade. But you have
to purchase the 10.5 DVD, and after you install it,
you will probably want to update that to 10.5.8.
The update from 10.5 to 10.5.8 is free and is available from Apple.

The trick is in how you perform the upgrade to 10.5 WITHOUT LOSING YOUR EXISTING INSTALLED SOFTWARE, ESPECIALLY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.

You should search the Apple blogs. I found a how to that proved to be excellent, but I did not keep the URL.

Good luck.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Wonder if I can upgrade my OS X 10.4.11 to leopard? And how can I do it? Do I need to uninstall my existing one?

Yes, you can upgrade to Leopard (MacOS X 10.5)
All you need is the installer, which you can find for sale at a variety of web sites.
You have the minimum RAM memory for Leopard (512MB), so I would recommend that you also upgrade your RAM. Your first generation MacBook can have as much a 2 x 1GB, for a total of 2 GB of memory installed.
If you do the recommended install option, which is an Archive & Install option, choosing the sub-option to save your files and settings - then you don't lose anything. You don't need to uninstall the existing system, unless you want to clear out everything. That's an option, too...

My Mac OS X 10.4.11 is not working fine at this time i tried everything i can but still have problems and the safari is very slow it making upset... maybe because of my mac version is super old... when i upgrade it "ITS say that i need to upgrade it to mac version into 10.5 in order to work. PLease HELP me...

Your computer is not going to get slower the older the operating system gets. Mac OS X 10.4.11 will run just as fast the day you got it as it will 5 years later. Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 is not the remedy -- you can "fix" your computer without upgrading to the next version of OS X.

If you wish to upgrade, you can by simply locating and purchasing a retail copy of Mac OS X 10.5. A simple Google search will point you to more than one place where you can buy it.

Another option is to skip 10.5 altogether and go straight to Mac OS X 10.6, provided your computer supports it. Apple's website will tell you whether your computer is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 or not.

If you can elaborate on what "ITS say that i need to upgrade it to mac version into 10.5 in order to work" actually means -- what is "ITS?" What "says" that? ...then we can point you in the right direction to make your computer speedy again.

Min-Jee, don't use UFS or HFS case-sensitive for your system HD. HFS case-sensitive is asking for trouble, as is anything else than HFS+ case-insensitive.

Intel processor is not part of the system requirements for Mac OS X 10.5; that was released as a universal OS, supplying code for both Intel and PPC processors.
But Mac OS X 10.6 requires an Intel processor. So Mac OS X 10.5.8 is the newest your system can handle, and it will also be the best one day in the future when you might sell your system to get a newer one.

Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac12,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
CPU Speed: 2.1 GHz
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 700 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

Is it possible for me to upgrade to a newer software version like Mac OS X 10.6? I have tried downloading several programs such as skype and itunes. unfortunately it would not let me instal them because my Mac is not up to date. if there is a way to update it please help me i really need it

Yes ...
Your iMac G5 can be upgraded to 10.5 - but not 10.6 (which requires an Intel processor)
This thread has good pointers on how to find a 10.5 (Leopard) install.

Machine Model: PowerMac12,1
CPU Speed: 2.1 GHz
Bus Speed: 700 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

Is it possible for me to upgrade to a newer software version like Mac OS X 10.6? I have tried downloading several programs such as skype and itunes. unfortunately it would not let me instal them because my Mac is not up to date. if there is a way to update it please help me i really need it

quite same spec as mine there,

Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

i'm headache in finding the way how to upgrade the 10.4.11 to 10.5, the prob is i'm not able to boot up from the leopard 10.5 installer DVD, it just stuck at the apple logo there, got advice from mr.DeltaMac thanks to him
hope i'm success in upgrading the Tiger today

Back