Upgrade to OS X 10.5 from OS X 10.4.11

I have a Powerbook Power PC G4 (1.5) running
10.4.11. I want to update to Leopard. I don't know
how to find out if my machine is UFS formatted.
I assume the update would have to be done by Mac
technicians if it is?

I also read something about speed affecting whether
the G4 can run Leopard. Is that bus speed (Mine
is currently 167 MHz) or CPU speed (mine is 1.5 GHz)?
If it is bus speed, can it be increased enough?

Go to /Applications/Utilities, and open Disk Utility - it will show how your system is formatted.
By default it should not be UFS but HFS+ case-insensitive.
Your CPU is fast enough - and you'll want to have at least 1 GB RAM.

Plus when you get leopard do not use the standard upgrade path of installing. Use the Archive & Install way of initially installing Leopard. Trust me it will prevent a lot of upgrade headaches.

Once Leopard is running do not open any programs yet. Just open you favorite browser and down load the 10.5.1 Update and update it. When it reboots download the 10.5.6 Combo Update and it will take you straight to the latest 10.5.6 version of Leopard. Be patient because there will be a big security update inside the combo that will reboot the Mac twice, this is normal. Once 10.5.6 is all done then use Software Update to get the remaining updates.

Lastly get the free program AppFresh so it will find & point to all the program updates you applications will need to function in Leopard.

Note: One word of warning is Application Enhancer hackies from Tiger broke the Leopard install. So junk all the Application Enhancer plugins before upgrading to Leopard.

Good Luck.

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 640 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.7f0
Serial Number: UV35157EPGZ

Hello, same as above, I wouldlike to upgrade to 10.5 at least ,
tho do not know if it is possible with my specifications;
and please bare in mind im an artist and not so clever with computers ;)
(good excuse) ,
shell i do all of the things in post above?
Thank you very very much who ever read this!!!

i expect to use certain softwares that are unfortunately unavailable for my mac version, software that i use for example to drag n drop files from my phone ; like doubletwist, and such kind of things, but it may look like i should by new mac...

There is actually a way tot bypass it, but I wouldn't do it unless you really know what you are doing. This is the installer. (oh wait, unfortunately, the installer on MacUpdate has a bad link....)

Well the simplest thing is that you cannot run 10.5, so you are stuck running only 10.4. Unless you know how to hack the firmware or the operating system, you cannot run 10.5, and thus are stuck with running 10.4.

this sounds rather like an agony; a sad destiny. u should write poems of tragedy :) tnx anyway, so im stuck, and allthigns u mentioned I do not understand, but i do know difference between a fondue and a tondu :)

this sounds rather like an agony; a sad destiny. u should write poems of tragedy :) tnx anyway, so im stuck, and allthigns u mentioned I do not understand, but i do know difference between a fondue and a tondu :)

Haha, just stick with 10.4!

Hi all, really struggling here, any help would be most appreciated;

running a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz

Am trying to upgrade to 10.5, and have the system installer for leopard, but it wont see my hard-drive as an option for installing on...any ideas why?

It's really doing my head in, trying to get Logic9 on my laptop but need 10.5 to do this.

cheers
j

Hi all, really struggling here, any help would be most appreciated;

running a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz

Am trying to upgrade to 10.5, and have the system installer for leopard, but it wont see my hard-drive as an option for installing on...any ideas why?

It's really doing my head in, trying to get Logic9 on my laptop but need 10.5 to do this.

cheers
j
If your "system installer for leopard" is a grey disc, then it ain't gonna work.

Similarly, I would like to upgrade my PowerPC G4 (1.5) to the Leopard.
I went into Disk Utility, but saw nothing that showed my system format as UFS OR HFS.
It says :
Mount Point : /
Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Please help, I'd hate to purchase the Leopard only to realize that it can't work on my Mac.
thanks a bunch in advance.

Go to /Applications/Utilities, and open Disk Utility - it will show how your system is formatted.
By default it should not be UFS but HFS+ case-insensitive.
Your CPU is fast enough - and you'll want to have at least 1 GB RAM.

If by "PowerPC G4 (1.5)" you mean the Power Mac G4 Cube (5,1)--I cannot find a "1.5" in my Mactracker--then the highest system is OS 10.4.11.

I would need more information on what computer it is, but I suspect you may be doom'd.

--J.D.

Doom'd.... I do hope not J.D. :(

Here's more information on my Mac. Hope there's light.
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

Min-Jee: Ah! It is a Powerbook. According to my Mactracker, the highest OS is 10.5.8.

salsoulkid I did not think you could unless you already had 10.5. Apparently, you can but it is more expensive.

You need These. If you want to save $ you may be able to get 10.5 from a dealer--RETAIL DISK--say on ebay, but if you poke around HERE you will find that often results in people buying machine-specific DVDs which become glorified coasters. You are essentially paying ~140 for 10.5 plus the added goodies of iLife and iWork.

Just scanning eBay you will find 10.5 running from ~40 to ~200. The ones advertising as "Retail" tend to run on the higher end. I see someone is selling gray disks from a iMac! Buy that . . . you get nowhere! Caveat emptor.

I saved $$$ when I bought retail 10.3 and 10.4 disks . . . when 10.5 was already out. I was a ludite happy with OS 9 on a Wee Pismo :).

My current Mac came with 10.5 so the upgrade to 10.6 was cheap. Either way, you need to decide if you want to save a bit of money on 10.5 or get iWork and iLife as part of the package.

--J.D.

Thanks JD.
So it looks like I can run a Leopard 10.5.8...
But what about concerns of UFS or HFS formats?
And here's another concern, is an Intel Processor part of the requirement?

Back