URL sites ending in .tk not accessible Safari

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
What are those www.xxxxx.tk sites? Why are they not working (apparently not listed in my DNS which is Roadrunner). I have run across several references to them and none work with Safari or FireFox.

Any hints? www.macwizard.tk was an example.

Thanks for advice & comments.

Doesn't work for me with Safari/FireFox/camino/Internet Explorer/OmniWeb/2 or 3 others

All respond the same, and I get a 'page not found' error through EarthLink, for some unknown reason.
What is this link used for?

I visit a tk site. It works: costachica.tk.

Each country (or at least most of them) have its own top-level-domain. There's ".ca" for Canada, ".us" for United States, and ".mx" for Mexico, to cite three. Tokelau's top-level-domain is... .tk.

There is always the possibility that any particular site, and even an entire country code such as .tk, is being blocked by your ISP. That is often because the site is a source of illegitimate materials and the ISP is either avoiding legal action or responding to past legal settlements.

By-the-way, I tried the macwizard.tk link and received an Earthlink message that the page was not found. Since Earthlink is not my ISP it is reasonable to assume the site was hosted by Earthlink and has been pulled.

perfessor101 said:
By-the-way, I tried the macwizard.tk link and received an Earthlink message that the page was not found. Since Earthlink is not my ISP it is reasonable to assume the site was hosted by Earthlink and has been pulled.

macwizard.tk is in fact taken. It leads to http://home.earthlink.net/~themacwizard/. Yes, it has been pulled. IMO, it's more likely that the person who registered the macwizard.tk domain lost interest (or is no l onger an Earthlink customer), rather than Earthlink pulling it due to inappropriate content. I mention this because your first paragraph discussed the possibility of a whole set of TLDs (in this case, .tk) being blocked by ISPs due to inappropriate content or mere suspicion.

Edited to Add:

I have too much time in my hands. A little more than a month ago a person was using this as his signature:

Hehe, he's a member at some mac forums...

Sorry for confusion. I'd just read some post on usenet about comments on iBooks and link failed. The .tk URL was unusual. I thought I'd encountered it before (likely my fragile "organic between the ears memory").

Probably was that Pemberton guy. Google search turned him up with the two .tk URLs.

Never heard of Tokelau either. Some island in South Pacific. Probably some domain.name provider located there, perhaps dubious as some suggested.

Just a curiosity.

I'm having the same trouble here myself. I've tried 3 different browsers and all those ending in .tk shows the same "server not found" error. I know it's not my isp because the pc that's connected to our router sharing the same internet connection can browse .tk sites.

Any thoughts?

I'm using 10.4.2 on an iMac FP

bok said:
I'm having the same trouble here myself. I've tried 3 different browsers and all those ending in .tk shows the same "server not found" error. I know it's not my isp because the pc that's connected to our router sharing the same internet connection can browse .tk sites.
FWIW I have tried every .tk site that has been mentioned in this thread and I always get through using Safari 2.0.1 (412.5) on OS X 10.4.2 with all the security updates installed. My ISP is Verizon FiOS. I suppose I should mention that the first site mentioned wasn't much. As someone else said, it looked as if whoever put it up lost interest.

Hey, perfessor, how do you like that Fios service? Which package did you get? Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking, since it's only available in select markets?

At any rate, bok: where are you from? It could be something local to your area -- if you live outside of the United States, it could be that your ISP doesn't have their domain name resolution set up properly to access .tk sites.

Pretty much all of these .tk sites work fine for me:
http://www.zyra.org.uk/tks.htm
Do they work for you?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
<snip>
At any rate, bok: where are you from? It could be something local to your area -- if you live outside of the United States, it could be that your ISP doesn't have their domain name resolution set up properly to access .tk sites.

Pretty much all of these .tk sites work fine for me:

Do they work for you?
http://www.zyra.org.uk/tks.htm

ElDiabloConCaca, I'm hailing from Manila, Philippines. As I've said, the pc sharing my internet connection is able to access .tk sites. Somehow only my mac is unable to find the .tk servers. So it couldn't be my ISP. I used to be able to but not for the past few weeks. Updating to Safari 2.0.1 didn't help.

But thanks to the http://www.zyra.org.uk/tks.htm link you posted, it somehow cleared my .tk blockage. At last, I can access .tk sites again! I hope it stays that way. Thanks a lot!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hey, perfessor, how do you like that Fios service? Which package did you get? Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking, since it's only available in select markets?
I love the Verizon FiOS service and I went for the high speed package. When I bundled that with landline phone, and long distance it actually wound up about $3.00 a month less than I was paying for the individual services and DSL. The additional speed is definitely noticeable on normal web browsing but with large file downloads it is amazing! Downloads that used to take four or five minutes with regular DSL sometimes take around 30 seconds. It does make you far more aware of the load on the host server.

Since you asked, I live in Saint Paul, Texas a miniscule suburb (pop. 350) of Wylie, Texas to the South which in turn is a small suburb of Garland, Texas. Garland, in its turn is a suburb of Dallas. Looking West, Saint Paul is a suburb of Parker, Texas (the home of the Southfork Ranch of television fame). Parker is a suburb of Plano and, although there are those in Plano who would deny this vigorously, Plano is a suburb of Dallas. To the east is Lake Lavon, the lake not the town which is on the other side of the lake. To the North is Lucas, Allen, and McKinney.

Ah, yes, Dallas is one of their test markets. I'm still waiting for San Antonio to be on the list, and once we are, I'll be their first customer down here. Glad to hear it IS everything it's cracked up to be -- I'm thinking of going with the 30mb connection, but hell, even the 5mb connection would be a big improvement.

MLJ_osxcom said:
What are those www.xxxxx.tk sites? Why are they not working (apparently not listed in my DNS which is Roadrunner). I have run across several references to them and none work with Safari or FireFox.

Any hints? www.macwizard.tk was an example.

Thanks for advice & comments.
If the domain does not exist in DNS then NO browser will be able to access it by name.

However some browser (IE) cache DNS entires, so if it was in DNS once-upon-a-time, then IE might simply be "remembering" it.

bok said:
...As I've said, the pc sharing my internet connection is able to access .tk sites. Somehow only my mac is unable to find the .tk servers...
Issues between machines is quite different than issues between 2 browsers on the same machine.

So if one machine can access, and another can't, that would mean one of two things:

1) You are connecting to differnt DNS servers. (Especially likely if you are using DHCP to dynamically get IP addresses, that will also dynamically assign you a DNS server)

2) Possibly one of the machines has a hosts file (or on the Mac side, a NetInfo Manager "machine" entry) containing the name-to-IP info.

Either way, if you confifugre the machines the same, then they'll work the same. This is not an OS or browser specific issue. (except for the browser DNS caching I mentioned previously)

Back