USB 2.0 through Firewire Hub

bigbadbill

Flaccid Member
I just got a new iPod Video for Christmas and was shocked with the realization that my G4 iMac has no USB 2.0 (3 years old and it's obsolete, thanks Steve).

I have a Firewire Hub that supports USB 2.0 and only connects to the 'puter using a Firewire cable. Will this work or will the iPod simply load at USB 1.0 speeds?

I know what your thinking "try it and see", I did and it sure seems slow to me, but it is a new toy so patience is hard to come by today!

Merry Christmas all!

If you have an external hub that supports USB 2.0, but your computer does not, then the hub can only provide what the computer has available, which will be USB 1.1 - along with very slow sync speeds to the iPod. All should work, including charging the iPod, but the sync speeds will just be slow.
Unfortunately, there is no way to upgrade your iMac to USB 2.0 ports.

Hmm... I assume that the dual G5 listed in your sig isn't an option...? It does have USB 2.0 -- is that your work computer and you don't have access to it?

The G5 is at work and my music library is at home, I may be rethinking this.

I have found a workaround that will get me through the day. I target mounted my iMac to my iBook which has USB 2.0. Then added the iTunes Music Folder on the iMac to the iBook's iTunes Library (without copying) and was able to add my 9000 song library to the iPod much faster.

-----

And now a rant to Apple from someone who upgraded from an iPod Photo to a Video iPod: Are you friggin' kidding me!?! Now I gotta buy a new extra iPod cable for work, a new iTrip for the car, a new dock to stand it up, a new case to keep it safe, and maybe a new computer to use it! :mad:

I'd send this to Apple directly, but I'm too busy enjoying this beautiful, ingenious, smaller, black, video capable, mp3 slingin' 60 GB bad ass! You just gotta love Apple!

I need a permanent solution though, do you think anyone makes a Firewire/USB 2.0 converter? (I can't find one)

bigbadbill said:
I need a permanent solution though, do you think anyone makes a Firewire/USB 2.0 converter? (I can't find one)
I don't think that USB and FireWire are similar enough to be able to be "converted" one way or the other, like USB and PS/2 or USB and Serial devices are.

Thanks ElDiablo,

I was able to firewire network my iBook to the iMac and and set the iTunes up so it reads from the same library file. Works very well, I can even run iTunes on both machines. Not sure how much connection speed I'm loosing to the iPod though, still seems a bit slow.

Back