Verizon iPhone

mdnky

[Bobs/Prog/Design:~] mod%
Staff member
Mod
Finally I can get rid of AT&T!

verizon-iphone-1033.jpg

I'll just say that there are both upsides and downsides to Verizon. Let's hope, at least in terms of the iPhone, that there are more upsides than downsides.

The one downside that sticks out at me right now is that this is a CDMA phone, not LTE 4G, so simultaneous voice-and-data like with AT&T is impossible with Verizon. That means while you're using the new wi-fi hotspot feature (a very big upside!), you cannot make or receive phone calls. Whether that means the phone won't ring or your wi-fi hotspot just disappears remains to be seen.

Be sure to report back and let us know your experience -- I am VERY curious about it (even though I have no big gripes about staying with AT&T).

If you don't venture outside of the USA, it's certainly a viable option. A "world phone" with GSM, CDMA and LTE would solve that, albeit at the price of bulk, I guess. (It all needs space.) I wonder whether such a thing would mean that all the world gets to have a rather silly CDMA support without ever requiring it.

But to stay with the stuff available _today_ (or in a month): I also wonder how the WiFi Hotspot feature will react if there's an incoming call... Will it simply disconnect all WiFi users from the internet? Or is the phone unavailable to calls while the hotspot is on?

I guess the GSM iPhone 4 will get the hotspot feature soon as well. Will certainly tip the ratio between iPad Wifi-only/Wifi+3G towards the Wifi only model. As soon as the iPad can share my iPhone's HSPA access, I simply won't require my iPad to have its own SIM card...

I just got the feeling that the iPhone 5 will have GSM & CDMA+LTE.

I also wonder how the WiFi Hotspot feature will react if there's an incoming call... Will it simply disconnect all WiFi users from the internet? Or is the phone unavailable to calls while the hotspot is on?

I'm sure someone will have an iPhone with Verizon by now, and should be able to tell how it behaves in that situation.

I've never understood why the ancient CDMA is still around. It belongs to where NMT was, i.e. in the past. But I guess if Verizon would offer a really great deal with it, I might consider (as long as tehre are some spare phones around too for visiting non-CDMA parts of the world, such as the rest of the world).

And none of these "great deals" of unlimited US calls etc for $ 50 or more a month.
So stuck to an AT&T prepay, just because it sucks least.

I also wonder how the WiFi Hotspot feature will react if there's an incoming call... Will it simply disconnect all WiFi users from the internet? Or is the phone unavailable to calls while the hotspot is on?

I guess that's a spammer..? He just quoted two messages from above, using a quote of mine as his own message..? :/

Back