Viruses On Os X

I been downloading and saving PC Viruses for 4 years now and not a problem as of yet..................
Just a hobby.........

hi,
yes the virus is active on mac os x 3.9. the virus attach on urs mail application from microsoft entrouge but u can remove this one with antivirus name is virus barrier its problem was come 4 to 5 mounth ago if any body found problem in the entrouge scan with this anti virus and problem will be solved.
me
im_imran525@yahoo.com

I think you are typing in mobile phone "txt-spk" which I don't understand. Could we stick to plain English with normal words and punctuation, please?

I still have a wild collection of nVir B and nVir A infected files on my Floppy disks somewhere. Though the only thing that ever did was a) be near impossible to exterminate and b) say beep every couple of hours, so I was never really bothered :) Those were the days though! I'm trying to recall the virus scanner I used to get em off, but it's so long ago ...Yay for the System 7 and earlier days!

Ars123, it could be that the virus you have is mainly an MS thing since you mentioned Entourage (kind of like a Word macro virus infecting Word documents in all versions of MS Word). Don't know if it would affect the system as a whole, but it's not impossible.

I have been experiencing a weird proble for a few days. When I try to access my Menubar menus, if I click the menulist flashes at me but I can't "hold" the focus to allow me to choose an option. Eventually, after some time, I find I cannot use teh Apple menu to shut down/restart and have to power the machine off an dthen on. Typically it will take a few such forced restarts to "clear" the problem but after a while it reappears. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Denis

Denis, you should start your own post with an appropriate heading like "Menu bar strange behaviour OSX 10.4.8 on Powerbook (PowerPC)", since it has nothing to do with this virus discussion.

Absolutely not. Norton software for Mac has always done a lot more harm than good.

This is not just true for macs. Part of the reason that I finally switched to a mac was out of frustration with Symantec. Antivirus software is needed for a PC, but Norton actually affects your system much like a virus since it would take all of my CPU to run. I constantly had to get updates and the program would stop working every couple of weeks. I had to call the company about twice a week to keep my computer working. Norton sells the most antivirus software but it is horrible. Also in the time I was running it I have 5 tracking cookies and a work make it through. After 2 months of it, I finally gave up and bought the mac I wanted for a while.

The question I have with Clamav is that since it is freeware is it still updated regularly?

This is not just true for macs. Part of the reason that I finally switched to a mac was out of frustration with Symantec. Antivirus software is needed for a PC, but Norton actually affects your system much like a virus since it would take all of my CPU to run. I constantly had to get updates and the program would stop working every couple of weeks. I had to call the company about twice a week to keep my computer working. Norton sells the most antivirus software but it is horrible. Also in the time I was running it I have 5 tracking cookies and a work make it through. After 2 months of it, I finally gave up and bought the mac I wanted for a while.

The question I have with Clamav is that since it is freeware is it still updated regularly?

same here i switched to a mac to avoid symantec

I was suprised last week one of my clients complained that she was getting bounced messages back from her clients saying it contain a virus. Now in her office there are 4 macs and 1 pc. I figured the pc must have picked up a virus. But that was not the case. Two of the macs had a macro virus that had infected word on the 2 ibooks.

they were now generating the w97 virus. The way to fix it was to delete a virus script that was embedded into the macro document.

Once that was removed the mac no longer generated any virus.

This was a real eye opener for me as I thought Macs could not generate viruses but could only carry them inside microsoft documents.

So yes your mac version of word can be infected with a macro virus. So anyone using macs with microsoft word should install anti virus software and also check these settings in Word.

Tools-->Macros-->Visual Basic Editor.

Then expand the disclosure triangle next to 'Normal' and expand 'Microsoft word objects. Then double click 'This Document'

Then you will see an edit window show the virus script. Delete all the text and save the document.

then quit word.

Then run your AV software and clean all the w97 viruses from your mac and that should do it. If you don't then as soon as you open another infected word document it will reinfect youl.
The double click the document

I was suprised last week one of my clients complained that she was getting bounced messages back from her clients saying it contain a virus. Now in her office there are 4 macs and 1 pc. I figured the pc must have picked up a virus. But that was not the case. Two of the macs had a macro virus that had infected word on the 2 ibooks.

they were now generating the w97 virus. The way to fix it was to delete a virus script that was embedded into the macro document.

Once that was removed the mac no longer generated any virus.

This was a real eye opener for me as I thought Macs could not generate viruses but could only carry them inside microsoft documents.

So yes your mac version of word can be infected with a macro virus. So anyone using macs with microsoft word should install anti virus software and also check these settings in Word.

Tools-->Macros-->Visual Basic Editor.

Then expand the disclosure triangle next to 'Normal' and expand 'Microsoft word objects. Then double click 'This Document'

Then you will see an edit window show the virus script. Delete all the text and save the document.

then quit word.

Then run your AV software and clean all the w97 viruses from your mac and that should do it. If you don't then as soon as you open another infected word document it will reinfect youl.
The double click the document

Just a note - This "virus" spread from MS Office, to MS Office. It will do no harm to your system. Bad things would happen if this infected a PC. The extent of the damage to your system was bounced emails. Apple can't make sure every third party app is totally secure, but they have done a good job of making sure that those apps can't do much damage if they do mess up.

EDIT: sorry, this was old thread

that is not the point that it wont harm the mac, in most organizations there are macs and pc on the same network. So the network is 1 system. Therefore if mac has that virus in ms office it may infect the pc's and that would bring the network down.

You say the extent of the damage was bounced emails. However that is also is not the point. The damage is the image of the company. The client of mine who had this problem is a very high profile recruitment agency in the heart of london UK who find candidates for JP morgan, BBC, C4, City Bank, PAs for musicians and actors and many more very high profile companies. How do you think it looks if they are sending out virus with the CV's attachments. That kind if image damage can cost a company thousands of pounds.

I am not knocking macs I love them but don't be fooled that they are not immune from virus's. the w97 may not be able to delete files on macs as they can on pc's but the damage goes beyond missing files on computers.

Therefore anybody who thinks they should not use anti virus software on macs in commercial environments has been lulled into a falls sense of security.

It is unfortunate that the w97 can infect a Microsoft product on a mac but is is the word processor of choice in most mac commercial environments.

Personally I have don't have any Microsoft products installed on any of may macs in my office or at my home.

Simply install a virus scanner on your email server and you don't have to worry about the Macs sending out macro viruses as much. If a company isn't doing that then they really should be because as you say the image of the company is at stake. I don't think it's necessary to run anti virus on all the Macs though. Macro viruses are really old and I don't believe they are actively being written much any more so it's enough to have virus scanning on outbound emails at the server level.

ClamXAV is free, which is, of course, very attractive. However, the
product is misleading. ClamXav is an OS X port of ClamAV, which is a
UNIX server anti-virus application for use with Windows networks. (For instance, ClamAV comes with Mac OS X Server.) The problem is that ClamXav uses ClamAV's
anti-viral database, with few additions in consideration of the
Macintosh.
You can search the ClamAV database here:
http://clamav-du.securesites.net/cgi-bin/clamgrok
As a test, do a search for, for instance, for "Macintosh", or for one of the
known (though very rare) Macintosh Trojans, for instance: "Opener" or
"Renepo," and see if anything shows up. (Nothing will.)
What this means is that ClamXav doesn't look for much in the way of
Macintosh-specific malware. Sometimes free isn't a good deal.

In addition, if a Macintosh-only virus were to appear in the wild, there is no indication that the ClamAV database would be updated to deal with it.* (The developer of ClamXav has admitted that not only has he not contributed any Macintosh definitions to the database, but that he doesn't know how to write such definitions.) *Note that all of the commercial anti-virus program developers aggressively seek out new malware threats and share collected examples of these threats, allowing them to quickly push out an update to their software that will protect users.* There is no one from the ClamAV project that is doing this for the Macintosh.* So, the ClamAV folks might never get an example of a new Macintosh Malware threat, and even if they did, there is no indication that there is anyone who would update ClamAV to recognize that threat.

In other words, ClamXav is practically worthless for use with the Macintosh, and worse, I fear that it lulls Mac users into a false sense that it is protecting them, when in fact it doesn't protect them from much at all. (It does provide protection from cross-platform Word and Excel macro viruses.)

Since ClamXav does not scan for Macintosh-only viruses, if you use Classic, ClamXav does not protect you from any OS 9 viruses, which can also infect Classic. It also does not scan for the three known OS X Trojans in the wild, or the "Concept" Trojan (which is not a real, or malicious, Trojan, but it does sort of provide a model for someone who wants to create one, so it would be nice if your anti-viral software identified derivatives of it.)

Also, ClamXav does not disinfect infected files and software. It can only flag such software for you. You then have to delete such software to be rid of the virus.

ClamXav also does not scan files interactively.

ClamXav *is* good at scanning for, and detecting Windows viruses on your Macintosh, but that is of questionable value, as these are harmless on the Mac, and they are easy to detect and just trash. (Usually they manifest themselves as gibberish e-mail attachments.) A Macintosh is highly unlikely to spread Windows viruses to Windows users, so software to detect Windows viruses resident on a Mac is of questionable value.

I simply don't see ClamXav as being a substitute for a commercial anti-virus program.* Admittedly, you probably don't need any sort of anti-virus program to begin with, but if you feel that you do, you probably want one that is actually going to protect you from conceivable threats.

The gentleman who has ported ClamAV to the Mac, and who is providing ClamXav for free, is to be commended for providing a free product to the Macintosh community. However, even though he does not disagree with any of what I have said above (this all came up on Macintouch), he also doesn't clearly state it on his Web site. So folks are lured into thinking that their Macs are completely protected, and will be in the future in the event of a very serious threat, when they aren't. That does the Macintosh community a very serious disservice.

If you feel that you need a program to protect you from Macintosh malware, I recommend that you purchase a good commercial product that can actually do this. ClamXav cannot.

Back