Vote for the new icon for our chat client

vote for the macosx.com chat client icon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow! Look at number 06! What an amazingly stunning idea! Whoever made this one really deserves to win, or at least a donut party for sharing the idea with the public!

lol. Fairplay. :D

It actually IS the best one from the design point of view - and, no! - I've never met Trip or any other guys here - all I know about is design that fits the brief.... I personally can't for the life of me see that the alternatives will really work.

But - Trip has graciously conceded, and clearly the majority vote is for another design. Well done, guys.

Originally posted by edX
well, quite a few of our members have put their time and effort into designing possible icons for the macosx.com chat client. Please take a moment and look at their work and place a vote for the one you think would look best representing our community thru downloads at versiontracker and macupdate. and of course, sitting in your own dock :)

the poll will close automatically in 15 days. when it does, the one with the most votes wins.

9 is simple and sweet... Btw can you email me...

Here's my opinion on each one. I think I should say what I think of each one, you can agree or disagree with me all you like but this is still what I think. I'll try to come at them from how good they look and how well they function. Of course, anything can be modified in the world of graphics, so improvements are possible (and probable). Also, I will group similar icons into one line.

I'll try not to be too much like Simon Cowell... :) Of course, these are my opinions, so if you disagree do it nicely.

1. Too dark, too blurry even at high resolution.
2. 3. 4. Not bad, the background is too dark but it's not part of the icons anyway. I'm not sure 3's colors sit well with me, though.
5. Okay, I'm not even going to go there (though I like its expression).
6. I really like it, especially without the background, but the pic of the continents should be more vector drawn. It's a little too complicated as is right now, as a photo merged with a vector drawing; if the continents were added to the blue part in green, I think it would look wonderful.
7. It looks more like an envelope. I don't think it works.
8. 9. Good symmetry on 9, but the art is too simplistic. They need more color, more oomph. Frankly I don't see why 9 is winning; it is not the best icon here.
10. Too simple, too small of a face really.
11. Doesn't flow well, and it should have Aquafication. Too flat. Nice idea though, kind of a "compass rose" sort of look.
12. Not bad, good design, but it looks like "Apple.com". This actually works because it is easy to read at small sizes and the design is simple yet effective. If there were a way around it looking like "Apple.com" I think this would an excellent choice.
13. Interesting; in fact, too interesting. There is too much going on, and it doesn't look that great. Maybe without the text balloons, and a little sharpening.
14. I really don't like this one. I think the X should have one style, and I don't think including a :( gives off a positive connotation, even if it contrasts with the other.
15. 16. Nice designs; the balloons should be a bit smaller and the background should be removed. Also I think 16 works better because that is how emoticons appear if they are not graphic, and I like the drop shadow.
17. WAAAAYYY too simple. Lacking. Doesn't explain anything.
18. 20. These two are almost the same icon and I have the same criticisms as 14.
19. I don't like the emoticon; it's too dark, the X needs color, and it doesn't fit with Apple's schemes, though this can be a good thing sometimes. It's a nice concept; I just think the implementation could be better.
21. These are excellent graphics, but I don't think they work very well as icons.
22. That's just scary.
23. It's nice, serene, but the background is too much. I like it, I just think it should have an alpha mask that fades it away. Also, the face and planet just don't go together quite as well as they should. I like it, but there's something there... I can't put my finger on it... Also, with regards to the earth pic, it looks good, but it might also look good if it were a bit simpler (see my explanation for 6).
24. 25. That's even worse than 22!
26. I really like this one, and I voted for this one. It has more depth than the others. I think the background (including the gradient) should be removed and the ineligible text should be replaced with "macosx.com" somehow.
27. Interesting design, with the sharp bevel, but I think the line art approach is a little too simple. It also reminds me more of Excel than Jaguar.

Again, these are simply my opinions. Feel free to rebut, but please be nice about it! I don't want to be hated just because I criticized your icon(s). I hope nobody takes criticism the wrong way and lashes out at me.

Of course, you may be saying, "Okay, if you're so smart, where's yours?" Well, I didn't do one. But if you really think I should back up my words, I'd be willing to come up with something, maybe not for entry, but something.

I think changing the icon with application updates may be a good way to go, but it shouldn't be a drastic change. Adobe updated their Photoshop icon for X, but they kept the eye. If we change the icon dramatically ever 3 months, people might get annoyed or confused.

Porteous: Yes, most of these designs utilize an Aqua feel to them even though many Mac users still use 9. Hell, I still use 9 for anything productive (or non-productive, i.e. games). However, like it or not, Mac OS X is the future, and while the icon may be nostalgic for 9, it should look ahead to the OS of the future.

KrinkleCut: I agree, the final design should be scalable and distinguishable at at least 32x32.

ApeintheShell: It may make you think of not being able to afford a new Mac, but is that really the message you want to send to people? "Here's a toy, but you can't have it." I'm not sure that's the best way to go... :)

One last thought: It would be really nice if people could say which one they made, instead of just saying "Mine got a vote!" I say, Okay, it may have, but which one is yours?

Arden's comment made me realize that people just aren't getting the visual pun (or maybe they are and they think it's stupid) in 26 (mine), which might explain it's relatively low score (or perhaps it's just a crappy icon), but could someone PLEASE tell me why 23 did sooo poorly? I understand that the globe is too busy, but that is easily changed. I mean look at 09 and look at 23 and tell me which you'd rather see in your dock...

And no, 26 should not have its greeked text replaced with "macosx.com" because"macosx.com" will be directly below (or above, or next to) the icon. Icons are not text fields. I think there is documentation on the logic behind this somewhere...

- Brian

Originally posted by phatcactus
And no, 26 should not have its greeked text replaced with "macosx.com" because"macosx.com" will be directly below (or above, or next to) the icon. Icons are not text fields. I think there is documentation on the logic behind this somewhere...
Here's what Apple (an unfortunate authority-by-default on this kinda thing) says...

From http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGIcons/index.html
Notice that the text in the Stickies icon is actual text, not simply wavy lines representing text. If you want to "greek" text in an Aqua icon, use actual text and make it unreadable by shrinking it or doubling the layers.
But keep in mind that the text in the Stickies icon says "Lou 555-7361," Eggs," and "Milk," and not "Stickies." So I guess if I'd change my greeked text to a more legible "Hey buddy how ya doin?" it'd be okay.

But I'm not going to do that. :)

- Brian

Originally posted by edX
phatcactus - turn your pm system on. i want to reach you privately.
Will do. Can't promise that I'll respond right away though, because I've never used them and have no idea how they work... here goes...

And yes, I quoted myself. :) I'm a quoting kinda guy, I guess...?

Originally posted by phatcactus
And yes, I quoted myself. :)
Quoting is fun! I could do this aaall day, but I have to go learn how to use private messages...

- Brian

Certainly easier than quoting yourself from within the current message. Kind of an infinite loop, right? :)

Originally posted by fryke
Kind of an infinite loop, right? :)
I guess it is.
Originally posted by Arden
I guess it is.
But that doesn't mean you should do it.
But that doesn't mean you should do it.
I mean, doesn't this get tiresome after a while?
I mean, doesn't this get tiresome after a while?
I could go on for a long time like this. But the longer I go, the more prone to errors I become in re-writing what I just wrote. That's the last time... you get my point, right? I don't think it's necessary to quote yourself when you can just edit the original thing and add to the end of it.

well, the poll is closed and we appear to have a winner. however it is only with about a third of the total votes. at one point it was close to half.

how do people feel about having a run off between the top 3?

when will the winning icon be used for the program? And when will users begin to use the program? I checked it 2 minutes ago, and there were 5 users, and 1 alive...

Why not take all the ones that are unique with 6 or more points, and when 2 or more are of the same type, take only the prefered one ? This would avoid that similar design eat each-others voices

Back