Was My Libreoffice Hacked Or Accessed By Outside Third Party?

Iklatenk

Registered
I have dynamic/changing IP address. It changes after every restart/shutdown - something I need to note now.

I had LibreOffice open, when my Mac encountered problem and had to be forced to shut down. I turned it back on, opened LibreOffice and got this window titled LibreOffice 5.1:

Either another instance of LibreOfficeis accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked. Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing, you should make sure user [insert my user name] closes LibreOffice on host [ip adress and my ISP provider]
Do you really want to continue?

First I was scared from seeing words "another instance accessing", but as the IP address displayed resembled one of my own, I performed an experiment. I made snapshot of my current IP address, then forcibly shut Mac down one more time, turned it on and opened LibreOffice to get another one of those windows.

I compared IP addresses: The IP address I had before forcibly shutting down was the same the alert window had.

So, is it logical to conclude that when LibreOffice is open and Mac is forcibly shut down, it memorizes the IP address Mac had during shut down, then keeps it in memory and when Mac is turned on again with new IP address, Libre Office still holds to that previous IP address?

And that the first time it happened, where I couldn't compare IPs, it was the same issue - as I have not encountered this problem ever again after that time.

Chance of anything malicious going in should therefore be impossible?

One of the replies in here:
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/25236/disturbing-error-message/
Says that:

"Unless you are 'myname' in that error message, then you need a firewall installing (possibly a good idea anyway)."

Problem is, I do not know if the IP address first time had been mine or maybe someone from same ISP provider, accessing my LibreOffice. The following experiment following this event showed that forced shut down does make Libre Office remember the IP address Mac had before forced shut down.

What I need to know is, how likely is it that the first time was someone accessing/hacking my LibreOffice or is that impossible?

I have dynamic/changing IP address. It changes after every restart/shutdown - something I need to note now.
Ok, first a question: Your IP address changes every restart. How do you do that? Do you have some reason for that configuration on your router?
OK, that's two questions, but related - Anyway, it's not a setting that most users would ever need, and, as you can see, might cause issues with certain software. (If you had a constant IP address, then it would be easy to note that a reported IP address is YOURS, or not.
Just a recommendation. You may have a good reason for random IP change on each reboot, so it may not be anything that you want to fix, eh?
Also, it makes no sense that someone else might be accessing just one app, LibreOffice.

So, I would try the tips at one of the links about that message - maybe this one

Ok, first a question: Your IP address changes every restart. How do you do that? Do you have some reason for that configuration on your router?
OK, that's two questions, but related - Anyway, it's not a setting that most users would ever need, and, as you can see, might cause issues with certain software. (If you had a constant IP address, then it would be easy to note that a reported IP address is YOURS, or not.
Just a recommendation. You may have a good reason for random IP change on each reboot, so it may not be anything that you want to fix, eh?
Also, it makes no sense that someone else might be accessing just one app, LibreOffice.

So, I would try the tips at one of the links about that message - maybe this one

It has always been so to be honest. Is it strange where you live? I live in Europe and my internet providing company is pretty large here. They simply provide the service and the different IP addresses are circulated among the clients. I know because I have once or twice tried to access forum that then said my IP was banned for something I definitely had no done due to being in that site first time! :D Next restart and I was allowed in.

IP address changing is not something I can control though.

Okay, thank you! Seems like these people have constant issue with this problem.

I'd like to ask this question though - do you think it strange that LibreOffice knew about my IP address? Is it too intrusive? I googled and found nothing saying about it or anyone complaining. Is it normal for apps?

Until I changed to a fast broadband supplier last year, my ISP would provide a different address each time I connected. It's common in Europe when the supplier has more subscribers than they do addresses.

Until I changed to a fast broadband supplier last year, my ISP would provide a different address each time I connected. It's common in Europe when the supplier has more subscribers than they do addresses.

Even more reason to change to IPv6!;)

Back