We have to pay for 10.1!!!

jamesnp,

Do you usually get good constructive discussions calling people a DBF? Would you have actually had the balls to call me that eye-to-eye? There is no need to lash out at individuals with differing opinions.

Back to the topic at hand.

The industry has been calling 10.0 "public beta" because in essence Apple did not make the expected delivery date.

* Which anybody in the compter industry will tell you is easy to do. Especially deliving such a complex and moving target *

They did however, deliver a stable and usable product. The product has enabled MANY users to accomplish tasks not otherwise possible (Unix, Quartz, and etc). Apple would have had to eat a lot of cr@p if they did not deliver something on that date.

As been said ten-fold, you can download the update free. With 20 dollars you are paying for the production and delivery of tangible package.

Apple is in business to make money, not to give hand outs. Consumers have to be savvy and know what they are buying.

Yours Truly,
DBF

Yeah and XP is a piece of crap! At least with Mac OS X you're paying for a good operating system rather than Windoze crap.

Hey Apple here's my $20!

(Holds up $20 dollars shoves it in zip drive):D

Now give me 10.1!!

(Zip Drive eats dollar...) Hey my dollar!!!:mad:

Maybe if I stick the $20 dollars in the CD drive... :D :D :D :D

And if that doesn't work, I could always try the floppy drive...

Sorry... I'm rambling...

kilowatt - include around 80 bucks for the hourly cost of the personalized CD burning service ;-)

Originally posted by jove
As been said ten-fold, you can download the update free. With 20 dollars you are paying for the production and delivery of tangible package.

Actually, no. Good old Phil Shiller says, quoted on Apple's (Offical) Website, of all places, "There will be a free update, on CD only. As I said before, we have changed every aspect of the OS, and updated everything."

Well, DBF, what have you got to say for yourself?

-James

I have one question: is this the image you want to put up for yourself on the web? Before you answer that, go back and read your posts, and put yourself in the other person's shoes. Thank you.

what a waste of time ...
we'll see whether it's a download or just a cd or whatever when the update comes out in september.
cursing and insulting others will *not* help. it's not as if our lives depended on it, after all, it is only an os.

You're absolutely right, it's only an OS!!

I've been using OSX as my main OS since it was released. It is a Final release, If I need to burn CD's, I just boot into OS9.1 (which was included with my £99 purchase). Can anyone tell me where else you cn buy a Unix workstation OS and a mainstream OS in 1 box for £99? Only Apple :)

So, wait anoth 6 weeks and see what happens.

Jason

Originally posted by jamesnp
I am well pissed off, I had to pay nearly IR£130 (Irish Pounds). That's about £99Stg (UK Pounds) and $150USD for my copy of OS X. This means OS X update CD would cost about IR£25 for me.... infact probably IR£30. I have no problem spending a whole weekend downloading 10.1, just as long as I can download it for free.

If I have to pay a single penny, I will buy a PeeCee insted of the iBook I was thinking of.

-James

If you're going to buy an ibook anyway, it will ship with OSX installed, so the smart thing to do, if you can, would be to wait until 10.1 is released and get it pre-installed. But if you can't wait, then is $20 (£12, IR£15) too much to pay? I really don't understand the problem If you want to be cutting edge and buy the first release of a new OS, then you will pay for it. Ask any NT user, MS charges for all NT updates, at least we didn't have to pay for 10.01 - 10.04! NT users would have.

Jason

Originally posted by JBracy

Ask any NT user, MS charges for all NT updates, at least we didn't have to pay for 10.01 - 10.04! NT users would have.

Jason

Are you deliberately lying, or are you just unaware? It's possible to upgrade from the first NT 4 up to NT 4-sp6 without paying one penny. You can upgrade from the original Win2k to Win2k-sp2 for free as well.

Going from 10.0.x to 10.1.x is a point release just like NT service packs. Both are free to download. Both are available on physical media for a fee.

Why isn't this post dead yet?

Scenario a) The update is available for download, all are happy.

Scenario b) The update is not available for download, james dies due to massive heart failure and brain trauma, and all willing (not so) grudgingly fork over our measly $20.

Mind you, this from a college student with a margin of less than $100, and living from paycheck to paycheck. It's buyer-beware fellahs, if you don't research the product beforehand, then you're the one to get burnt. Anyone who preordered OSX should have had no qualms about what came in the mail: a still-immature but cutting edge operating system with a lot of room for optimization. I personally borrowed a friend's copy until I was sure it was the real deal; no need to drop cash on a pony that might not even finish the race, eh? Unless it has a sticker that says "DVD Playing Inside" or "CD Authoring Inside", why should you -expect- it to offer that, esp. in the al-dente release?

Oi.

-stephen

Originally posted by Kartoffel

Are you deliberately lying, or are you just unaware? It's possible to upgrade from the first NT 4 up to NT 4-sp6 without paying one penny. You can upgrade from the original Win2k to Win2k-sp2 for free as well.

Going from 10.0.x to 10.1.x is a point release just like NT service packs. Both are free to download. Both are available on physical media for a fee.

Sorry, you mis-understood - my point was that anytime an upgrade requires - or you want - new media you pay a fee.

I don't use NT much, but my last job we did, and found that with NT4 some service packs were availiable only on new media from MS. Maybe that's just for UK users - I don't know, but don't call me a liar - I'm not, I'm just going by my own limited experience with MS products.

Jason

I don't know why I'm posting on this overbaked discussion, but...

If there is a download, there is a download. If there isn't, then obviously we'll have to take the CD's.

When I purchased OS X 10.0 I knew that there were certain features missing--as I hope anyone did when they purchased it. It was ALL over the internet that certain features wouldn't be available with the 10.0 release. We were all the 'early adoptors.' And I was quite happy, and am still quite happy to be included in this fine club : )

Just because a company is charging you for shipping and handling for the CD's, doesn't mean that the charge is for the software.

Let's say the software update was going to cost $5 -- a reasonable sum by just about any measure -- it would still cost $20 for S/H, or a total of $25. Even though blank CDs may cost mere pennies (if that, with the volumes Apple's dealing with), they still have to pay someone to burn them, print them, package them, print instructions, process the orders, store them in a warehouse, and then ship and support them. That is the purpose of S/H. They can't just send out free CD's to everyone. If they did, I for one, would question the long term viability of my Apple stock because someone in that company's got 'funny' ideas about how to run a profitable business.

Even if there was a download available, is anyone really NOT going to get the CD's anyway? If you don't have the CD's, and the download/changes are that large and complete, you don't have a restore disk if you encounter any problems in the future.

I don't know, some people aren't happy unless they're complaining. And some people expect something for nothing.

If I could, I would preorder now...I'm just that excited to see Apple keep kickin' ass!

I found a voucher in my MacOSX case. It contains a number of cards (3?) that proofs my perchase of MacOSX. I think the idear is, that I can use this as payment for the next upgrade... but lets wait an see!

(by the way: It was a 10.0.1... IE bought in Denmark.

With Kind Regards

Søren Rehné

I bought OS X knowing that it was incomplete (no DVD playback) and there would be bugs. If Apple truly wants to call this a free upgrade they should do this...

Make a download available, and post a disclaimer that says, "Due to the large size of this download, and the high volume of downloads we highly recommend you purchase a copy of Mac OS 10.1 on a CD through the Mac OS up to date program." That way people who are determined to download their free copy they can try, no matter how futile an attempt it will be. When 9.1 came out I spent hours on my University's high speed network trying to download it with no success, and that was a much smaller download and less significant upgrade than 10.1 is appearing to be.

However, Apple better not be planing to release an upgrade every 6 months and charging us $20 a pop. I hope to live at least another 50 years, I hope to be using a Mac for that time, and that adds up to $2000 dollars not including inflation (OK this is a slight exaggeration but you get the point). Now if apple would sweeten the deal with 9.1 Developer Tools, iTunes/iMovie/iEtc... and some of those cool downloads off of my iDisk, perhaps I wouldn't be complaining so much. And Apple better start taking preorders soon, because if I have to send in those stupid coupons, have them checked, have my order packed, and then shipped. Getting 10.1 will feel like forever when all those downloaders, pirates and people with time machines will be using it for months.

Well...
Back from vacation.
Foist of all... when is this OS coming out?
I have not been keeping up.... (been eyeballing nice female presences on the beaches of greece and on the greek dancefloors lol :p)

second of all, if its only 20$, then its the CD charge.

Admiral

Back