Websites running away from Qucktime?

contoursvt said:
Well I personally have not tried it but at work on my 2nd box I use 10.3.9 and the graphic design dept runs the same. The guys at the design departement went out and picked up 10.4 and within 2 weeks all were frustrated for assorted reasons and went back down. One guy said that its got too many little bugs and that maybe 6 months from now after a few updates, it will be ready. He said itw as unstable and he has probs with certain apps he could not get going and also claimed that it felt slower on his dual 1.25 G4. I'm only going by what I've heard from people who use MacOS every day and I know they have more experience with it than me. I do mostly PC support and some mac support but I dont know it well enough to be the primary support person. My B&W G3 is not bad but I have had my share of kernel panics - more than I'd like and I hardly have any software on there. Maybe the box needs a firmware update but I personally have not found it as stable as Win2k or XP (virus and spyware aside)

What surprises me is that a company with critical files on its computers (be it Mac or PC) decides to upgrade to the latest version right after its release! If I'm not mistaken, usually a company takes the time to test the software before the upgrade is performed in order to prevent incidents like this from happening. This was poor decision-making on the part of those in charge at your job.

Again, you mentioned you G3 not being as stable as your Windows machines. This is a 6 YEAR OLD COMPUTER. Please share the specs of the components on that G3 and we might be able to tell you why it's so unstable. For example, cheap memory will definitely give you kernel panics. Running ANY Norton product will also cause instability on your Mac. I can say the same about a PC running XP but using crappy software and components. Again, we need the whole story here.

Nixgeek, sorry you misunderstood. The company is still running 10.3.9. Its the users that upgraded their home machines to 10.4 when it was released and after two weeks, downgraded.

I'm supposed to care about what some PSP playing 35 year old thinks? ;) And what hard hitting fasts... "its boring and ugly and I dont like it". Hey dont use that wrench on that car!!!! "how come???" ... Its boring and ugly and it doesnt inspire me. LOL. Sorry had to poke fun.

I use windows because I find it more stable than OSX (at least on my G3 and the G4 and G5's at work). I also find it much snappier, dont have to deal with file permission issues. I have more games available incase I feel like playing (I'm getting older so I find less and less desire for video games but hey..never know). I also like the idea that I'm not tied into hardware from one manufacturer. If I lose a power supply for example, I can drive 3 minutes to one of 17 computer stores and pick up any brand and power I feel like and it will be 1/8th the price. Same goes for motherboard, processors or any other hardware.

Most people I find hate microsoft or windows because they feel like their children have been murdered by bill gates or because they are jealous that he's made too much money or just want to go for the underdog. Since Win2k game out, I think windows has been exceptional as a stable and reliable platform. My server is still running win2k which I installed in 2002 and at work we have servers going back all the way to NT4 and they are still going strong.

ah the time old "lets jack a thread back to Win vs Mac" (someone may blast me for putting windows first there). well done. i'm going to comment, before the mods put a stop to it though....

i'm forced to use my parents dell after a year behind the helm of a dual g5 (my flats contract expired. only TWO months before i can move into my new place). it's so painful. less painfull since i trebled the ram, but painful never the less.

it feels like i'm booted into a skinned windows 98. it feels so... old! it is quite stable now, but it just feel like i'm using a VCR compared tho HD-DVD with MacOS. macos feels powerful, and i think that means a lot. no one program can bring the system down, because it;s not allowed to. £0.02

but this is a thread about quicktime.

so:

i think, as a codec, in terms of image quality, it's very good. H.264 feels powerful.

as an internet standard, it sucks. given the choice, WMA or Mov, i go WMA. it plays straight away. quicktime loads the whole bloody movie. Come on apple, it's not the 90's anymore. streaming video is here, and it works. (thing is, they CAN do it - watch the apple keynotes - they're all streamed quicktime.)

in terms of the software on the windows platform - its stupid. quicktime gives you a silly splash screen telling you to upgrade to pro while it takes ages to load, we don't even get that. it is slow, and the brushed metal is very slow on the aged OS.

and iTunes - beast of a program, but runs like a dog on windows, using 3 times as much ram as anything else, so everyone hates it. and everyones put off buying a mac - "the software's shoddy on a mac"

contoursvt said:
Nixgeek, sorry you misunderstood. The company is still running 10.3.9. Its the users that upgraded their home machines to 10.4 when it was released and after two weeks, downgraded.

Unfortunately, many people get burned because they feel the need to get the LATEST and GREATEST version the SECOND it's released without even considering that maybe their software might act strange after an upgrade. I always tell people to wait before they upgrade, because there's always issues with upgrades. This is on both Macintosh and WIndows platforms.

Personally, I believe that unless it improves your computing experience to a high degree, or if there's some critical security patch, then it's not worth upgrading the second the newer version is released. Wait until it's been tested and reports have come out on bugs, and then if you feel the need, update. Otherwise, if it ain't broke....

I agree with you 100%. I believe if aint broke, dont fix it :) I still use Photoshop 6 and I think its great. I also use Office2000 which I think has more features than I'd ever use. I run XP on my dual xeon which would benefit due to XP's proper support for hyperthreading (so I get my 4 virtual processors). On my older amd box, I just run win2k.

contoursvt said:
I agree with you 100%. I believe if aint broke, dont fix it :) I still use Photoshop 6 and I think its great. I also use Office2000 which I think has more features than I'd ever use. I run XP on my dual xeon which would benefit due to XP's proper support for hyperthreading (so I get my 4 virtual processors). On my older amd box, I just run win2k.

On my PCs, I mainly run Linux. I am running Kubuntu on a P3-600 to see if it's worth it for now, but once my main PC (P4 2.8 GHz which I got from a friend with a mobo for 50 bucks) is up and running I will probably install either Debian or Slackware. OpenOffice on Linux has been great to me, and all the FOS software has met all my needs. I also have a Motorola StarMax 4000 that I dual boot with Mac OS 9.1 and Debian for when I want to sequence music or do whatever, respectively... :D I do plan on purchasing a newer Mac soon so I can run OS X at home....still debating whether to wait for the Intel Macs or pony-up the cash for a used G4 or a Mac mini.

I'm thinking about trying to install linux again and just getting to know it as a server platform. My current server is a ancient ANCIENT dual ppro 200 box with 1gig EDO RAM, 2940uw scsi contorller, 9gig scsi boot and dual 120gig IDE on an ATA 100 controller. Its running win2k server. Its nice but I'm not learning anything new. You think it might be a pain installing linux on such an old box? Video is a matrox millenium PCI and ethernet is an intel 10/100 so nothing odd about the system..other than it being really old and having no APM.

Lt Major Burns,

"Quicktime" does NOT necessarily load an entire movie. QT can be properly served using server side software (free with OS X server). I thnk there are even free third party solutions for QT serving, but I'm really not sure about that.

Alternatively, many QT movies are authored as progressive download, which basically means it plays as it goes. A fast enough connection will effectively make appear as a streaming video.

And I assume you mean WMV, not WMA?

Both formats (QT and Windows Media) can deliver excellent content when properly authored and served (and when the end user has the appropriate connection). To say one is automatically better based on a couple of downloads is absurd. I author for both. I prefer QT because it's vastly more extensible and uses true open standards, not hacked proprietorizations (I just made up a word). Not to mention the QT workflow is second to none.

mindbend said:
Alternatively, many QT movies are authored as progressive download, which basically means it plays as it goes. A fast enough connection will effectively make appear as a streaming video.

Yeah, that happens with me although I often have to wait until it finishes anyway because it tends to skip frames etc. if it hasn't finished downloading for some reason, even if the section it is trying to play has already been downloaded.

Back